Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Tesco coming to Swords R125

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

peteb2 wrote: »
    allowing David Daly to now commence another development where he has not rectified problems within the estate and ford creating a bigger traffic problem before the ring road goes in.

David Daly's company/ "business" has gone to the wall, so I doubt he's involved in this anymore. Complete cowboy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Very disappointed to read this. People really need to think past their own inconveniences and think of the bigger picture.

We shall still be doing our shopping in Superquinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Little Miss Lady

I live nearby to where it is supposed to be built.
    I am very disappointed it's going ahead. I think it will be the death of the estate altogether.
    No thought gone into the decision whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

zefer wrote: »
    David Daly's company/ "business" has gone to the wall, so I doubt he's involved in this anymore. Complete cowboy

Really? So you didnt check out the registered address of the development company? It was one of the first questions that arose from the planning permission - as to whether the company involved actually owned the land.

Meesared wrote: »
    Eh I'd be happy to see it, I live in Holywell, and having a Tesco nearby would be very convenient!

We've done the convenience thing to do death on this thread already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

I think we could also say that the "this is a disaster" thing has also been done to death to an equal extent.

Not really. Because it'll only become apparent once the place begins to get going. That said, no one has confirmed an anchor tenant as Tesco's. Maybe there will be no achor tenant who want to occupy and there will just be some commercial units not really fit for purpose with no one i them. You say you live around here. Does that sound familiar to you? If not you ain't been here long enough.

Why be so dismissive of my opinion if I cant be dismissive of yours? And I've lived here plenty long enough to know how it is around here

I'm not being dismissive. You havent expressed an opinion - you just pointed out that something has already been done to death.

And I think youre pointing out something that has been done to death

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Cut it out. If you both cannot have a reasonable discussion - do not post in this thread again.

tHB

Perfectly prepapred to have a reasonable discussion. Meesared I've lived here for 8 years. When i bought my house it was sold on the basis that there would be a local shop, commercial units including a GP, creche, etc. They only got built 3 years ago and then it took even longer for the Spar to come in.

And now the same person that promised us this and hasnt occupied those units or allowed them to be occupied with anything useful has a plan to build a large retail centre with promise of the same features. And you would wonder why I am concerned?

I didn't say I wondered why you were concerned, I just said that I liked that this had been approved

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

peteb2 & Meesared - Your petty bickering is taking the thread off-topic.

Do not post in this thread again.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

When I see the surfeit of empty shops all throughout the Swords area I think it's odd that a new development on this scale has been given permission but I know shops' purpose nor locale aren't directly interchangeable. As outlined in a previous post I think there would be better alternatives to it but you're free to disagree with me. I suspect my opinion might differ if I lived in Holywell anyway. There are also quite a number of people in the Swords area who travel to Clarehall/Finglas/Santry etc. to shop at Tesco or Aldi so there seems there's local demand for it. Any sign of the Aldi that was mooted a few years back?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JohnNightmare

the rumour at the time was woodies in seatown was closing down and aldi was going in that site. than woodies moved to airside afew years ago than so the rumour looked more like truth but still today we have 2 woodies in swords and no aldi, but there is a lidl now so rest assured there will be an aldi in swords soon ;)

regards tesco, when are they starting construction?
    did they say how long it would take?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 tony3953

I noticed a few diggers being placed around the entrance roundabout in Holywell this evening as I drove home! Will be interesting to see if they are at work tomorrow!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

tony3953 wrote: »
    I noticed a few diggers being placed around the entrance roundabout in Holywell this evening as I drove home! Will be interesting to see if they are at work tomorrow!!!

Diggers are at work for sure, not doing a massive amount but they're doing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Seanbirney

I don't think that would be it starting already with no warning or any sign to say tesco coming soon or anything. I could be completely wrong but I just thought there would be more of a warning before they start building it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Holywell could do with a decent sized show though, it's a bit of a trek to the Pavillions from there and the Spar can be expensive.

• Advertisement

Lux23 wrote: »
    Holywell could do with a decent sized show though, it's a bit of a trek to the Pavillions from there and the Spar can be expensive.

You must mean walking? Cos it takes about 3 minutes in a car. To be honest, walking only takes about 15 (we do it regularly). Its hardly a trek. I would imagine if you had lots of bags it would be a pain. But if people don't want to walk back from Pavillions with numerous full bags, I doubt they would walk from the Tesco either, unless they lived literally right across from it.

I know its been said before but it still saddens me that a lot of people seem to think they should have a supermarket right on their doorstep, so they don't have to walk for more than 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 tony3953

If they don't like walking then support the Swords Express and take that to and from the Pavs, it's only €1!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 vivarepublic

Maybe we might get the Metro after all every little helps

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭size5

Diggers are at work for sure, not doing a massive amount but they're doing something.

Guards were onto the landowners to "flatten" the land in order to prevent anti-social activities namely drugs.

From what I hear there will be nothing happening with regard to that road for quite a while.

It's not a road going there. Its approved planning for a retail complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭size5

peteb2 wrote: »
    It's not a road going there. Its approved planning for a retail complex.

Correct but a ring road is going in to take traffic out of the Holywell estate. As far as I was aware no ring road no Tesco(could be wrong on this).

incorrect. The planning permission was granted ahead of that. The road was tied up over the compulsory purchase order. Which is now in the process of going through.

There was nothing to be flattened on the road side. Road is there on the part the developer owns.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Asdfghjkl987

They seem to be working on a new road from that roundabout opposite Euro Cycles Euro Baby down towards feltrim business park. When I saw it first i thought they were starting the Tesco :D they might be about to start :)

nope. Just the road.

• Advertisement

Was over in that field at the weekend with my husband. We saw and photographed so many different types of birds. Swifts, Reed Buntings, Stone Chats, Blue Tits and numerous different Finches.Plus many more that were too quick or quiet for us to see.
    To think some people would rather have a horrible tesco dumped on that land and destroy the habitat those birds and other animals are living on, makes me really sad.

Advertisement