Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Tesco coming to Swords R125

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

Was over in that field at the weekend with my husband. We saw and photographed so many different types of birds. Swifts, Reed Buntings, Stone Chats, Blue Tits and numerous different Finches.Plus many more that were too quick or quiet for us to see.
    To think some people would rather have a horrible tesco dumped on that land and destroy the habitat those birds and other animals are living on, makes me really sad.

to be honest that ground needs to be brought back into agricultural use, needs to be hedge cut ploughed and spuds put in before it gets totally wild, maybe next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

micraX wrote: »
    to be honest that ground needs to be brought back into agricultural use, needs to be hedge cut ploughed and spuds put in before it gets totally wild, maybe next season.

Whats wrong with totally wild?

Whats wrong with totally wild?

It was farm land not too long ago, I'm surprised no ones in there yet.
    Who owns it, bovale?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Nucleus developments.

At the request of another poster here are a few pictures of the birds we have seen on that land, some are from the other day and some are from a few months back in winter/spring. Obviously their are lots more, but its not always easy to get pics, especially of the swallows/swifts, they move too quick!

A Blue Tit DSCN3031_zps7ebe2a05.jpg

Female Stonechat DSCN3548_zpsb44e4d46.jpg

Male Stonechat DSCN3534_zps5b0388a5.jpg

Reed Bunting DSCN3174_zpsc85b9a62.jpg

Chaffinch
    DSCN3161_zps042e6338.jpg

We also get loads of Goldfinch in our garden so I wouldn't be surprised if they frequented that land too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Asdfghjkl987

At the request of another poster here are a few pictures of the birds we have seen on that land, some are from the other day and some are from a few months back in winter/spring. Obviously their are lots more, but its not always easy to get pics, especially of the swallows/swifts, they move too quick!

We also get loads of Goldfinch in our garden so I wouldn't be surprised if they frequented that land too.

Lovely pictures :) it's an awful pity the land is in such a built up location. It's becoming a dumping black spot and is very neglected :( as it's owned by a developer i imagine it will become another concrete jungle :'(

Lovely pictures :) it's an awful pity the land is in such a built up location. It's becoming a dumping black spot and is very neglected :( as it's owned by a developer i imagine it will become another concrete jungle :'(

Anyone know any contacts for that developer?

Every day I pass that land I see another black bag full of litter thrown in and another tree broken. I'd prefer to see something built on it because it's just depressing as it is.

The only thing depressing is peoples lack of respect for nature. Building on the land won't teach people not to dump their rubbish.

Just driving back to work after lunch, I was coming out of Holywell and spotted a Heron flying quite low, it came from the fields and over the estate. It was great seeing it in flight.

Thats another animal that could be displaced by construction work on the land.

Why not show people the abundance of flora and fauna over there, let them see how enjoyable it is to have such a lovely display of wildlife right on our doorstep, them maybe they might be more enthusiastic about keeping it clean :)

After they built that new road in Holywell they dumped all the waste material onto the wasteland! Absolute disgrace...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

After they built that new road in Holywell they dumped all the waste material onto the wasteland! Absolute disgrace...

no they simply placed it onto lands they own ;) Nucleus developments AKA Albany Homes own the land the tesco will be located on, likewise across the R125 theres more waste ground they own and for the last 5-6 years theres been broken pipes etc that were used in the construction of that phase of holywell that they just left there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Hive of activity today at the site in question, quantity surveyors on site and a JCB mini digger, taking soil samples away and taking measurements.

Staff of Nucleus Developments I presume.

So must be going ahead, thought TESCO were in trouble sales wise in ROI and UK with the big german discount stores.

It will be a welcome bonus to Swords anyways if it is going ahead.

Ring road is finished and this was part of the granting of planning permission with An Bord Pleanala.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

kravmaga wrote: »
    Hive of activity today at the site in question, quantity surveyors on site and a JCB mini digger, taking soil samples away and taking measurements.

Staff of Nucleus Developments I presume.

So must be going ahead, thought TESCO were in trouble sales wise in ROI and UK with the big german discount stores.

Ring road is finished and this was part of the granting of planning permission with An Bord Pleanala.

Their annual profits dropped 6% to £3.3bn. I think they're doing just fine :P. Media hype, as ever.

kravmaga wrote: »

Welcome to Swords but not necessarilly this area. We're fairly well split in this thread but no more of that!

Ring road was also part of granting permission for the estate close on 10 years ago but we all know what happened there! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

peteb2 wrote: »
    Ring road was also part of granting permission for the estate close on 10 years ago but we all know what happened there! :rolleyes:

Yeah, a little thing called the recession.....:P

celticbest wrote: »
    Yeah, a little thing called the recession.....:P

Nope. Fingal dropped the ball and didnt realise the developers didnt own the part in between that was the subject of the recent CPO by them to finish the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mooooorsey

Does anyone know if this is going ahead?

mooooorsey wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this is going ahead?
    Doubt tesco are going to build a new store ATM the way their finances are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

This site is up for sale at the mo so i take it Tesco has pulled out?

Tesco was never a sure thing. It was always going to be David Daly building and hoping to secure Tesco as an anchor tenant.

• Advertisement

Tilly wrote: »
    This site is up for sale at the mo so i take it Tesco has pulled out?

yes, Tesco is not going ahead now.

Saw the Land for sale sign up yesterday, more than likely Daly trying to offload the land now.

Anyone know what is now going on? Fencing up on part of site. Land flattened out with portaloos in. No planning permission applied for since Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Guys in Tesco hi=vis vest saying building starting next week on the tesco site. Site they worked on and have a porticabin has no planning permission on it so probably just using it for a site for the developement

Probably worth mentioning i contacted the council and as of yesterday they weren't aware of commencement of any work!

Planning enforcement going for look i think

I was driving by the site yesterday and it's a hive of activity, heavy soil removal equipment on site, portacabins, fencing being erected around the site.

I asked one of the guys in a hi-vis vest what's going on, He said "We are preparing the site for soil removal then foundations, he said TESCO is the anchor tenant.

So guess its back on track folks.

Don't know if Fingal co co are aware? So the original Planning Permission Granted by ABP must still be valid for work to commence.

Anyways a welcome bonus for Swords, see Aldi and Lidl are building new stores in Swords also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

The for sale sign is still up which is weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

Not from the area, but planning lasts for 5 years from grant, so once they have it at roof level by February 2018, the planning granted by abp in feb 2013 is valid.

Tilly wrote:
    The for sale sign is still up which is weird.

That for sale sign doesn't related to the tesco site. I thought it did too. It's the acre of land behind the roundabout that is for sale.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I'm still negative about this. The traffic in Airside/Holywell is already a disaster at rush hours and weekends. How much worse will it be when Tesco opens next year?

I really have to question Fingal's ability to assess planning in respect of traffic management. They allowed the first Lidl, and it causes daily issues. Then they allow opposite ends of the town, both small bottle necks, one with ramps and a secondary school, to get another Lidl and an Aldi, and now Tesco in Holywell.

On a good day, it takes 7 minutes to get out of Swords via junction 3 from the town centre, how much worse will it be when we have 3 more supermarkets (bringing the total of decent sized grocery shops to 9, not including small conveniences). Seems overkill to me.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement