Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Tesco coming to Swords R125

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

Walter2016 wrote: »
    Not from the area, but planning lasts for 5 years from grant, so once they have it at roof level by February 2018, the planning granted by abp in feb 2013 is valid.
    They have to submit a commencement notice before any works start though.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭jwwb

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I'm still negative about this. The traffic in Airside/Holywell is already a disaster at rush hours and weekends. How much worse will it be when Tesco opens next year?

I really have to question Fingal's ability to assess planning in respect of traffic management. They allowed the first Lidl, and it causes daily issues. Then they allow opposite ends of the town, both small bottle necks, one with ramps and a secondary school, to get another Lidl and an Aldi, and now Tesco in Holywell.

On a good day, it takes 7 minutes to get out of Swords via junction 3 from the town centre, how much worse will it be when we have 3 more supermarkets (bringing the total of decent sized grocery shops to 9, not including small conveniences). Seems overkill to me.

I don't think that it's overkill. Swords is the 8th largest town in Ireland with Malahide, Donabate/Portrane, Lusk, Rush and Skerries all as satellites. What is surprising is that it's taken Tesco so long. I just wonder is it a defensive measure to maintain market share which they would lose?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

I presume it will be a Tesco Express or one the size of supervalu boroimhe?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

BKWDR wrote:

About the size of Clare hall. But don't worry the transport survey says no cars that wouldn't normally come past will go there!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭jwwb

peteb2 wrote: »
    About the size of Clare hall. But don't worry the transport survey says no cars that wouldn't normally come past will go there!!

Only 299 car spaces. Obviously that extra 1 car to bring it to an even 300 would have been responsible for all the congestion.

The building doesn't look as tall as the Tesco at Clare hall, and looks to be a little lower than the adjoining houses in Holywell. I'd have thought the roads around there could take some extra traffic. Granted the road alongside the retail park is a disaster at times (which is as much about the badly designed car park at Airside), and the roundabout leading into Swords can get congested, but it will be handy if coming from Drynam or Malahide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Looking positively at it, it will be great to have it on our doorstep. And I don't think it will be the same as lidl on rathbeale Road, different set up.

And lidl and Aldi opening up will take a lot of the load.
    I'm surprised someone looked at it and said yeah that's what swords needs now!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I hear that Fingal CoCo is putting a yellow box junction at the Rathbeale Road Lidl - it's provisioned for in next year's road markings budget.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I'm still negative about this. The traffic in Airside/Holywell is already a disaster at rush hours and weekends. How much worse will it be when Tesco opens next year?

I really have to question Fingal's ability to assess planning in respect of traffic management. They allowed the first Lidl, and it causes daily issues. Then they allow opposite ends of the town, both small bottle necks, one with ramps and a secondary school, to get another Lidl and an Aldi, and now Tesco in Holywell.

On a good day, it takes 7 minutes to get out of Swords via junction 3 from the town centre, how much worse will it be when we have 3 more supermarkets (bringing the total of decent sized grocery shops to 9, not including small conveniences). Seems overkill to me.

Airside and its surrounding road network was very poorly planned. The carpark itself is impossible to navigate, and the R125 should have been catered for as dual carriageway all the way to the R132 where there should be a 4-way junction and a footbridge, not a roundabout.

Same problem at the site itself, these roundabouts will be overwhelmed in a relatively small amount of time by the amount of traffic that comes from the Malahide/Kinsealy side of Swords - and probably even Malahide itself as it's closer than Clarehall. We're absolutely obsessed with roundabouts now to the extent that they actually combine to seriously delay journeys that don't have any actual traffic.
    peteb2 wrote: »

Searched up the planning app for Clarehall, it says
    gross (5,452m2 net) including a foodstore of 3,500m2 net and non-food area of 1,952m2 net;

This one will be 2,498m2 so comparable if you take out the big non-food side they have. A good bit less than half the parking though, Clarehall has 879 spaces and this will have under 300.

• Advertisement

sdanseo wrote: »
    Airside ....
    ... The carpark itself is impossible to navigate,
    It wouldn't be hard to improve that. The car park is actually too big, as it's hardly ever (if ever) full.

They should make the footpath along the shops wider, and widen all the internal roads in the car park. You could also take a bit off the outside of the car park to make turn right lanes, which would relieve a lot of the congestion there. Unfortunately, putting the McDonalds where they did, complicates that a bit, but they could do a lot to make it easier to get in and out of, and a nicer place to shop. All they seem to have done so far, is put up "No turn right" signs on one of the exits, and when people ignore that, they put up another one, and another one and so on ... :)

Even a sign asking people to use the roundabout to the left, would show a tiny bit of imagination.

plodder wrote: »
    It wouldn't be hard to improve that. The car park is actually too big, as it's hardly ever (if ever) full.

They should make the footpath along the shops wider, and widen all the internal roads in the car park. You could also take a bit off the outside of the car park to make turn right lanes, which would relieve a lot of the congestion there. Unfortunately, putting the McDonalds where they did, complicates that a bit, but they could do a lot to make it easier to get in and out of, and a nicer place to shop. All they seem to have done so far, is put up "No turn right" signs on one of the exits, and when people ignore that, they put up another one, and another one and so on ... :)

Even a sign asking people to use the roundabout to the left, would show a tiny bit of imagination.

I completely agree. Even bringing the three sections of the carpark together with a perimiter road instead of the current layout where you can drive around it but not across the exit roads would make a huge difference. Mostly though, the inner road doesn't need to follow the curve of the buildings, just have it be straight and a bit wider and you're laughing.

And as much as I hate roundabouts, I think one at each of the three entry/exit points would speed up traffic a huge amount.

Oh, and a pelican crossing (NOT traffic lights) where the old Starbucks was.

That is all. Airside management, you have your wish list, get cracking!

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

If it was to be Tesco i would welcome it, it's badly needed in the area as there are 2 shops that service a large area that stretches from Drynam to Waterside to Holywell quite a large catchment area. Before anybody says you have Dunnes and Supervalue in the pavillions there are still people that do not drive for various reasons and this would be a boon for them and the local people that would be employed in the center.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 blue2006

will be any additional measures to stop traffic coming into the estate?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I hear that Fingal CoCo is putting a yellow box junction at the Rathbeale Road Lidl - it's provisioned for in next year's road markings budget.

Won't make any difference, it's the car park being full and cars stopping on the main road until they can get in that is the problem

blue2006 wrote:
    will be any additional measures to stop traffic coming into the estate?

Nope. Sure they don't envisage it will bring any additional traffic to the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Well that must have been lodged as the work started on site last week.

Fingal Co Co. Planning Dept. I hope have a traffic management plan as I would imagine once Tesco opens in 2017 it will add large volumes of traffic to the area.

kravmaga wrote:
    Well that must have been lodged as the work started on site last week.

Nope. I contacted them last week and nothing was lodged.

kravmaga wrote:
    Fingal Co Co. Planning Dept. I hope have a traffic management plan as I would imagine once Tesco opens in 2017 it will add large volumes of traffic to the area.

Nope to that too. Read the planning applications. It's not anticipated it will be bringing any more vehicles as would be passing

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭shane6977

A commencement notice is only required between 14 - 28 days of starting the permanent works on a development i.e. pouring foundations, building walls etc.

They can work away at enabling works - clearing the site, pairing back the soil to a reduced level for building amonst other things without needing to submit a CN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Dorans Pride

They are only doing soil stabilisation works at present. The main construction works are to commence in the next week or two. As mentioned, you do not need a commencement notice until the main construction works start

shane6977 wrote: »
    A commencement notice is only required between 14 - 28 days of starting the permanent works on a development i.e. pouring foundations, building walls etc.

They can work away at enabling works - clearing the site, pairing back the soil to a reduced level for building amonst other things without needing to submit a CN.
    Makes sense. You would hardly need a commencement notice for works that wouldn't have needed planning permission in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

BKWDR wrote: »

Much much bigger, see the plans

Concrete foundation at least partially laid now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Dorans Pride

Concrete foundation at least partially laid now.

There are no foundations poured on site. Topsoil strip has been clear and soil stabilisation is taking place

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭yeroulfella

are there photos of what it will look like??

There are no foundations poured on site. Topsoil strip has been clear and soil stabilisation is taking place

My bad, looked like concrete when I passed. Must have been just the way the ground was prepared.
    Are you more in the know than the rest of us, and if so any idea when work proper is to commence and more importantly, finish/opening?
    are there photos of what it will look like??

Yup, click on the link in Dizzy's post

got to Documents, then Elevations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭yannakis

got to Documents, then Elevations.

The documents link is not working for me.. Do you have any screenshots? :rolleyes:

Gravel or stones definitely all laid out now. Not concrete, but definitely not a trick of the light either.

@Doran's Pride you seem fairly in the know on this one. What's the build time on this likely to be?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

7 day notice given on 25th oct.

Work can start Wednesday.

https://www.localgov.ie/en/link-type/bcms - click q3 and scroll to fingal.

Advertisement