Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Tesco coming to Swords R125

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Sorry if this is asked and answered but is this the roundabout in between Airside and the M1 entrance/exit there near Holywell? I saw they'd started works there but had no idea what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

cython wrote:
    Is this any consolation?

Sorry if this is asked and answered but is this the roundabout in between Airside and the M1 entrance/exit there near Holywell? I saw they'd started works there but had no idea what it was.

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

hey everyone.
    just saw this post about a tesco coming to Swords. Am i right in hearing this?? i am a week or two away from getting keys to our new home in swords so am very new to the area. Did i read right that it will be that site that is being constructed at the entrance to the Airside shopping centre across from the Ryanair offices? It looked to me like it was going to be another car sales place.

Have def thought it was something that was badly needed in the area. Will it be an express or an extra store that's going in?

Thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

mollybird wrote: »
    hey everyone.
    just saw this post about a tesco coming to Swords. Am i right in hearing this?? i am a week or two away from getting keys to our new home in swords so am very new to the area. Did i read right that it will be that site that is being constructed at the entrance to the Airside shopping centre across from the Ryanair offices? It looked to me like it was going to be another car sales place.

Have def thought it was something that was badly needed in the area. Will it be an express or an extra store that's going in?

Thanks

All your questions have been answered in this thread just read through it

And with two lidls an Aldi two supervalu a Dunnes and jcs already in swords, there are some who would disagree that we need yet another supermarket

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

hey everyone.

Thanks

That is a car showroom at the bottom of Airside all right. The new Tesco is up nearer to Holywell and it will be a big store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭mickmmc

Joe Duffy purchased the former Bill Cullen premises opposite Ryanair.

The car showrooms are being partially rebuilt and Joe Duffy Jaguar and Joe Duffy Landrover will trade from those showrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Stheno wrote: »
    hey everyone.

Thanks

All your questions have been answered in this thread just read through it

And with two lidls an Aldi two supervalu a Dunnes and jcs already in swords, there are some who would disagree that we need yet another supermarket
    Swords has a population larger than Galway, and business comes in from Malahide with much more restrictive planning (and less land). There is certainly scale for the building of a large shop to service Hollywell and provide alternatives to the smallish options in Borimhe and Rivervalley/Rathingle. Plus Tesco don't mess around Irish suppliers any more badly than the Irish owned supermarket chains/wholesalers do.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭mickmmc

Fingal County Council have rezoned lands north of Swords (Lissenhall) for up to 7,000 houses in the Development Plan 2017-2023.

With continuing growth in population in the Swords area and in Malahide there should be plenty of customers for Tesco in Holywell.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 IsosKramer

The fools in the CSO don't realise that Swords has a bigger population than Galway. According to their most recent (2011) confirmed figures, Swords had a population of 36,924 while Galway's (within the city boundary) was 75,529. It's provisional 2016 figure for Galway is c.80,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

mickmmc wrote: »
    Fingal County Council have rezoned lands north of Swords (Lissenhall) for up to 7,000 houses in the Development Plan 2017-2023.

With continuing growth in population in the Swords area and in Malahide there should be plenty of customers for Tesco in Holywell.

Agreed. Tralee has about 10000 less people than Swords and still manages to sustain 2 Dunnes, 2 Tescos, 2 Aldis, 2 Lidls, an Iceland and Supervalu. However, like Swords, it also has a large population catchment area (ie neighbouring villages and towns within 10 mile drive would also shop there). So Swords can more than absorb a full service Tesco supermarket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

IsosKramer wrote: »
    The fools in the CSO don't realise that Swords has a bigger population than Galway. According to their most recent (2011) confirmed figures, Swords had a population of 36,924 while Galway's (within the city boundary) was 75,529. It's provisional 2016 figure for Galway is c.80,000.

Am I missing something in these figures? Swords 36,924 and Galway 75,529 ... that looks like Swords is less than Galway.

Maybe a typo? Sorry if I'm being dense and missed something

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

Am I missing something in these figures? Swords 36,924 and Galway 75,529 ... that looks like Swords is less than Galway.

Maybe a typo? Sorry if I'm being dense and missed something
    I assumed the poster was being sarcastic, implying that the CSO isn't wrong. While I think they may have mistakenly left out a chunk of population in Drinam and Holywell, there's no way Swords has anywhere near the population of Galway city. I think it's more like Swords 42K vs 75K for Galway.

Incidentally, Ashbourne has a population of around 11,000 (2011) and it has big Supervalu, Dunnes, Tesco, Aldi and Lidl. It even had an Iceland a few years ago, which I think is gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Mutley2009

"At the 2011 census the total urban population of greater Swords was 42,738 but when local electoral area definitions are taken into account, the population was 68,583"

Who needs a census, when we have wikipedia?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭yannakis

Construction is moving at a staggering pace! Iron structure is up - 2 stories, roof and all. Yesterday and today all panels came to the site and they started installing them already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

YanisK wrote: »
    Construction is moving at a staggering pace! Iron structure is up - 2 stories, roof and all. Yesterday and today all panels came to the site and they started installing them already.

Agreed I drove by the other day and could not believe the progress being made.
    I wonder when it is due for completion, would mid 2017 be about right?
    Would not fancy living in the apartments facing the site as their view will be totally obstructed now.
    Surprised planning permission was given for such a large development so close to residential housing?

Anyways role on completion, Tesco will be a good addition to Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

kravmaga wrote:
    Agreed I drove by the other day and could not believe the progress being made. I wonder when it is due for completion, would mid 2017 be about right? Would not fancy living in the apartments facing the site as their view will be totally obstructed now. Surprised planning permission was given for such a large development so close to residential housing?

Does fingal want to be the council that turns down jobs? Don't think so. Also there was a sizable levy for the metro north calculated at the start. Presume they bizarrely still get that

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭jwwb

peteb2 wrote: »
    Does fingal want to be the council that turns down jobs? Don't think so. Also there was a sizable levy for the metro north calculated at the start. Presume they bizarrely still get that

Questionable whether any new jobs will be created. Jobs will be displaced from one supermarket to another. Probably good news for the consumer.

I seem to remember reading that all the Metro North levies had to be returned as it had not been built within a specific timeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

jwwb wrote: »
    Questionable whether any new jobs will be created. Jobs will be displaced from one supermarket to another. Probably good news for the consumer.

I seem to remember reading that all the Metro North levies had to be returned as it had not been built within a specific timeline.
    which supermarket will they displaced from?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Agree if the population doesn't need to grow much more and people only have a small amount more disposable cash it is hard to see how all these new shops can absorb the trade without casualties. That will be a new big lidl a new aldi and a new big tesco. All existing shops from jcs to the pavillions will see the impact of these new entrants and no doubt staff will be displaced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Plenty of population in Swords and surrounding area,more than enough to keep all the supermarkets in profit.Wont be any staff let go,unless management f - up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭yannakis

Plus with the new Lidl and new Tesco it will be a lot simpler to do the shopping than Pavillions where you need to walk a kilometer from the parking to Dunnes/Supervalu :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

ongarboy wrote: »
    Agreed. Tralee has about 10000 less people than Swords and still manages to sustain 2 Dunnes, 2 Tescos, 2 Aldis, 2 Lidls, an Iceland and Supervalu. However, like Swords, it also has a large population catchment area (ie neighbouring villages and towns within 10 mile drive would also shop there). So Swords can more than absorb a full service Tesco supermarket.

Tralee's hinterland is huge. Goes as far west as Ballinskelligs and Waterville and as far East as Abbeyfeale and as far south as glengarriff.

Add a massive tourist population in Summer and you have a town as commercial as Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Asdfghjkl987

Airside Shopping Centre is what its called. New signage has been put up on the fence in the last few days

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Airside Shopping Centre is what its called. New signage has been put up on the fence in the last few days

"Opening 2017" on the sign but no specifics. At the rate it's going up I'd say the summer or even before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Will be well open by the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭chazbat1

I live in Holywell, it is touted as being open in April 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bionick

"Airside Shopping Centre is a new neighbourhood scheme with an estimated completion date of March 2017. The centre which will be anchored by a 2,000 Sq M Tesco and will also provide a new cafe/restaurant (150.5 Sq M), 2 retail units (104.3 Sq M - 105.4 Sq M) and a first floor medical centre (467.2 Sq M)."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

What's the source for that please?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Advertisement