Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean Sherlock is currently debating with Tom Murphy (DeVore) and others

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

It's nearly over. Was watching from 1pm. SS is getting a (justified) boll*cking.

http://www.digitalrightsforum.com/

https://twitter.com/#!/search/realtime/%23DRF2012

Although he does have a point about the "keyboard warriors".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Great. I'm forced to watch a 30 second ad first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Obviously that gobshíte Sherlock is on the left. Which one is Devore?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

SS sits like a little bitch.

And now it's over :(

• Advertisement

Third from left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

Was this advertised on boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

The one that doesn't look like a gob****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

I want a tshirt with "Sean, EMI sued a COUNTRY..." written on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Was this advertised on boards?

There's a thread about it on the Politics forum but no, it wasn't advertised.. though it should have been!

Hopefully it's put up on YouTube soon enough. I'm mad that I only caught the last 5 minutes =(

• Advertisement

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    I want a tshirt with "Sean, EMI sued a COUNTRY..." written on it!

Was in bits laughing at a few quips from DeV all right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I only came across this via thejournal :confused:. Couldnt really watch it but hopefully it went like this:

http://www.omgif.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/admin_kick.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Was watching this from the start, but ironically couldnt find anywhere to post about it on boards.

devore was outstanding, The laugh of it is that sherlock tried to ban Simon Mcgarr from the debate. Looks like he really backed the wrong horse there.

Good outcome though, hes on the record saying hell change anything and everything with enough noise. Measuring that noise is still the problem i guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

chin_grin wrote: »
    Was in bits laughing at a few quips from DeV all right.

thats the only bit I caught, little snap crackle and pop headed git was pwnt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Good job Tom. Great debate, only wish it went on longer!

Seriously, is there an existing thread on this anywhere else?

1000 forums and theres no Live Internet Political Debating forum? disgraceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭AboutTwoFiddy

Should have been an site-wide announcement for this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

All hail DeVore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Dustaz wrote: »
    Seriously, is there an existing thread on this anywhere else?

1000 forums and theres no Live Internet Political Debating forum? disgraceful.

Little hint about where to find it

Little hint about where to find it
    The sum total of 3 posts in that for the duration of the debate sort of shows the need for a bigger hint.

• Advertisement

Full video here if you missed it.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/21566287

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

There's a thread about it on the Politics forum but no, it wasn't advertised.. though it should have been!

Hopefully it's put up on YouTube soon enough. I'm mad that I only caught the last 5 minutes =(

A site announcement would have been nice. I am sure we will get it later, edit free :)

A site announcement would have been nice. I am sure we will get it later, edit free :)

Cof cof cof cof cof cof cof cof. :pac:
    Full video here if you missed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Available here

EDIT : woops .. didn't see the previous post.

Here are some good quotes I got while watching. I must say I am very impressed with DeV

DeVoire - "Because I fight! ... Ask MCD"
    Sean Sherlock - "I think the music industry needs a serious kick in the behind"
    DeVoire - "That word "first" is a cocked gun at the head of Ireland!"
    Sean Sherlock - "I'll keep persevering with this no matter what!"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The sum total of 3 posts in that for the duration of the debate sort of shows the need for a bigger hint.

So you don't post when you don't see anyone else post? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

Only watched a bit of it but Sean Sherlock seems to be very fond of the word rhetoric. If he is just going to dismiss it all as rhetoric then what's the point of the debate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

The laugh of it is that sherlock tried to ban Simon Mcgarr from the debate. Looks like he really backed the wrong horse there.

he actually refused to share the stage with him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Hope DeVore ran through him, and nice to see Sean Sherlock backpeddling from refusing to attend if Simon McGarr was attending to thinking it was important Stop SOPA had a voice. Hopefully he'll take the hint sooner rather than later

• Advertisement

RedXIV wrote: »
    Hope DeVore ran through him, and nice to see Sean Sherlock backpeddling from refusing to attend if Simon McGarr was attending to thinking it was important Stop SOPA had a voice. Hopefully he'll take the hint sooner rather than later

Watch it (now or later) and you'll see.

"I can show you the slide again if you want?" was one of the many quotes from him. Absolute legend.

18 minutes in if you want to catch DeV giving his point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

I cannot wait to get home to watch this,

is this copyrighted or can it be shared?

danniemcq wrote: »
    I cannot wait to get home to watch this,

is this copyrighted or can it be shared?

:pac:

I'm sure you can watch the link that was posted earlier. Just watching it through again. Slow day.........

just watched teh first 40 minutes and sherlock just keeps repeating himelf

Sherlock really is a puppet. It's clear that he doesn't really know what he's talking about. And his smug little face deserved to be smacked.

"did you show the alternative SI to the AG"
    "she had regard to it"
    "thats a no so"

LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭roro1neil0

always presumed devore was a guy in his twenties wearing jeans and a transformers tshirt with a bit of subway mayonnaise rubbed into it. he's actually a busy business man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I was at this guys and it was really really good...great to see the topic being discussed in an open place like the Trinity Cafe.
    Let me say that DeVore kicked serious ass in there, really getting his point across and doing it in a funny and articulate way.
    Would have loved to have stayed for the whole thing but had to get back to work....pfftt, work, always getting in the way :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭armitage_skanks

roro1neil0 wrote: »
    always presumed devore was a guy in his twenties wearing jeans and a transformers tshirt with a bit of subway mayonnaise rubbed into it. he's actually a busy business man.

But he would still whomp your ass in Quake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Very interesting debate, love Toms Arguments! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Loving watching this. Sherlock is just being shown up as a spanner. The Journal say they'll do a written round up on it later.
    I really suggest anyone who can watch this- it's so worth it. Bravo Tom, you outclassed Sherlock completely.

Finally feel like poeple are fighting for our rights :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Good man Tom that's the style. I'll be renewing my subscription and everyone else should chip in a few bob as well.

So you don't post when you don't see anyone else post? :confused:

No, Im saying noone else could find it either. There was more posts on my facebook status during it than on that thread.

I just found it wierd that with Devore doing such an outstanding job at that debate, there was a noticable lack of live comment on it on boards. Probably due to the fact that if its not on AH, then its too hard to find the place to talk about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Meh. Just use an anonymizer and hey presto, no more SOPA. I'd like to see Tom debating with the Taoiseach about our appalling mental health system.

No offence meant Tom, but this SOPA stuff isn't very important to most people. Like most Irish laws, it sounds threatening until you realise that it won't be enforced.

Personally, if you do manage to have a public debate with Enda Kenny about our mental health system (or lack of it) I'd subscribe to Boards for 10 years and plaster my car with Boards.ie stickers without a quibble. You have quite a lot of public clout now, use it for some something a bit more important that can immeasurably improve hundreds of thousands of people's lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

"I can show you the slide again if you want?" was one of the many quotes from him. Absolute legend.
    Wasn't it something like; "Don't make me take out the slide again?" like a frustrated teacher or parent of a bold teenager!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Tom ran right through Sherlock, fair fucks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

what seems to be the issue here anyway ?

I am still downloading torrents and ripping off youtube, check the curtains every 10 - 15 mins but so far no FBI, CIA, Gardaí or EMI / court case.

The law may be here but you're all forgetting how we enforce law in this kuntree, we don't not to mention half the force have been wiped away

muhhh haaa aah ahahahahahahahahahhahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Confab wrote: »
    Personally, if you do manage to have a public debate with Enda Kenny about our mental health system (or lack of it) I'd subscribe to Boards for 10 years and plaster my car with Boards.ie stickers without a quibble.
    I think everyone has a cause they'd like to see furthered, but one step at a time. The freedom of speech argument is well within the remit of boards as a company, and indeed all online discussion forums. Win this and maybe further steps can be taken - in fact DeV himself has moved to highlight mental health issues in AH as it turns out.

All struggles need cashy money though, so everyone put your money where your mouth is, and send the price of a couple of pints their way by subscribing. Plus you get a cool avatar and access to the sex forum. Need I say more.

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    what seems to be the issue here anyway ?

Jesus Stiffler :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

smash wrote: »
    Sherlock really is a puppet. It's clear that he doesn't really know what he's talking about. And his smug little face deserved to be smacked.
    +1 luckily DeV did so with his rebuttals. Kudos.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've a lot of time for the Simon McGarr chap too. When you see quality minds, quality arguments and quality rebuttals ranged against a the minister and still the same minister sees no great problem with his stance and this legislation exists today, you really have to wonder about this nation of ours. If ever there was an example in microcosm of the guff that has held and continues to hold this nation back for too long just watch that video.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement