Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

remington 870???

Options
  • 03-04-2012 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

am considering buying a remington 870 shotgun for hunting mainly peigon
    can anyone recomend 1, or are is there a better option. am leaning towards the super magnum with synthetic stock, because it gives me the option to use heavy loads for foxs and i hate wood stocks. if any1 has one would love to hear from them thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Cant go wrong or argue with a design that has sold by Jan2012 over ten and a half million copies worldwide!:D;).
    Thing is do you really need that heavy a model of the 870?

This is a really heavy piece of iron to tote about if you were going out for a days hunting.Its more a duck/turkey blind or deer stand gun where you are not going to go walkies with it. So unless you are planning on duck and geese as well where a 3.5in mag makes sense,I'd go for a 3in mag with a full or Rem choke system barrel and pop a Xtra full choke into it for mr Fox.
    Syn Vs Wood Matter of choice.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

spudy1991 wrote: »
    can anyone recomend 1, or are is there a better option. am leaning towards the super magnum with synthetic stock, because it gives me the option to use heavy loads for foxs and i hate wood stocks. if any1 has one would love to hear from them thanks

I have an 870 express mag with a hogue 12" lop stock on it. Great gun but it is heavy enough to be lugging around all day. Don't have any experience with the super mag but I've never felt underpowered with the magnum version.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 spudy1991

right sound advise im having trouble getting my hands on one just to get a feel for it but it looks to be a decent gun, does any1 know of a dealer with 1 in stock just to see

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I've the Express Supermag, its been a great workhorse, able for everything you could think of.
    Its a little heavier than the 3" version, TBH the 3" would do all you want, its getting hard to find 3.5" ammo now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

spudy1991 wrote: »

spudy,
    I have the 870 Express Magnum with the wood stock and it is a great gun and a true workhorse.

I appreciate the amount of support that this model has. I picked up a fully rifled and cantilevered barrel for deer hunting (in the States) and there's a lot of stock options as well for it.

The 870 is the clear choice out here in the States for anyone that wants a pump action. On a price/performance analysis, there isn't any other model close.

The magnum should help you reach out and touch those ducks, if that's your game. I've never seen such skitterish ducks in my life than those along the Shannon. Even at 300ya, they take off at first sight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭aurin07

Have the 887 myself..

Lug it around all day and beat trees down at the same time..

Weight never bothered me..

Would have loved the 870 but the 887 just came up right at the time..

'hdz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

FISMA wrote: »
    spudy,
    I have the 870 Express Magnum with the wood stock and it is a great gun and a true workhorse.

I appreciate the amount of support that this model has. I picked up a fully rifled and cantilevered barrel for deer hunting (in the States) and there's a lot of stock options as well for it.

The 870 is the clear choice out here in the States for anyone that wants a pump action. On a price/performance analysis, there isn't any other model close.

The magnum should help you reach out and touch those ducks, if that's your game. I've never seen such skitterish ducks in my life than those along the Shannon. Even at 300ya, they take off at first sight.

Can you even get that close to them on the Shannon:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 38 spudy1991

cheers lads, i put 200 deposit on a 870 express magnum the other day and sub my firearms cert on my bros old gun[theres 3 of us in the family with a cert on that old gun] as to advoide the 80 euro for a new one:).
    however its a realtree camo witch im not mad about the ways it looks, but should prove useful, any comments on how realtree camo holds up, as in does it scrap or wear esaily.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Got realtree on my Remington rifle. 99.9% of it is holding up well sofar after a season.It might get a bit tatty around working areas or highly handled areas like safties or pistol grip butt areas,but nothing extreme has come off yet.Only blemish on it is somones thumbprint on the foreend from the factory who handled it when it wasnt 100% dry.:p
    Only gripe I have on it is it could have left the safty selector wording SAFE and FIRE true and in Black:(.Its hard to see in the realtree cmmo.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Robotack

How much is the 870 setting you back if you don't mind me asking?

Is it synthetic stocked?

• Advertisement
Advertisement