Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving cat to another house on the same street

• 03-04-2012 2:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hey all,

My partner and I have just bought a house on the same street we've been renting on for a number of years and would appreciate some guidance as to making the move with our cat!

The issue is that we're only moving a few feet across the cul de sac and getting it through to our little man that he can't let himself into the old rented house anymore, that the new house is now his home!

All I can think is to keep him in for a week or so, and hopefully it'll sink in that his bed, toys, litter tray, food dishes etc are all in the new house, as are us, his owners, so he'll come back to that house instead of the rental when we start letting him out again. Other ideas are that a feliway diffuser and/or rescue remedy might help him settle in the new house and spraying citronella or some other essential oil on the doorstep and windowsills of the old rental house may deter him but any other advice would be great.

It's an unusual one as the cul de sac is already his territory; he knows all the neighbours (feline and human!) and sights and smells, but he'll be living in one house instead of another in a few weeks from now and I want to make the transition as easy as possible.

Thanks in advance,
    Mar.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Selfheal

Hi

A remedy that works well for animals (and humans) going through a transition is Walnut. Worth putting a drop in his water when you move.

Also, to really help him settle in - put a little butter on his paws when he is installed in the new place. Once he washes his paws, he will feel at home - that's the theory anyway, but it has worked well for my cat, twice.

Good luck with the move!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭mariannewims

Thanks Selfheal, great suggestions there!

He's actually quite relaxed in the new house already; we've been renovating it for a couple of months now and the nosey git has to come across for a sniff about whenever we're in there ;) So he's been in and out, has scented the place by rubbing his cheeks and sharpening his claws and was even over bullying workmen to open the back door and let him out into that garden for a stroll so he's comfortable there.

It's just getting it through once we move that we're not just over for a look anymore, but that this is now his home, that will be the tricky part!

I'll try the walnut and butter though; thanks a mil!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

The butter thing is an old wives tale, sorry. I would just keep him in for a week and that should be enough. He'll learn pretty quickly where his food is and as you say if the whole neighbourhood is his territory he already has a massive advantage as he will know the area like the back of his paw, so a few trips to the old house and he'll cop thats not where he gets fed.

Thanks Anniehoo!

I'm sure you're right. Hopefully he'll cop on quickly when he realises he's not being permitted entry to, or being fed in, the old house anymore!
    Our landlord will be getting work done when we move out so at least the place should be empty for the transition period; I just don't want him landing in on top of the new tenants, hehe!

Can anyone tell me if rescue remedy in his water (and how much?) or a feliway diffuser might make the changeover period easier for him? I'd imagine he'll be a bit stressed when he realises he's not going 'home' from the new house and is shut in for a few days.

Thanks everyone,
    Mar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I honestly think you're worrying too much about this. As you said:
    The issue is that we're only moving a few feet across the cul de sac .

Its only across the road, theres no stressful transportation, no new area, he's already had a chance to scout out the new house. I really think a few days or so indoors isnt going to do him any harm whatsoever and putting rescue remedy in his water is going to be too dilute to make any difference to be honest. Is he a stressy or anxious cat normally?

• Advertisement

Ah Anniehoo, you speak a lot of sense ;)
    I'm probably being an over-protective parent and worrying too much, hehe!
    He's not a particularly anxious cat, I just know there will be a lot of yowling to get out and back across to the old house but I suppose that's something we'll just have to get through. Luckily enough he's a play monster so I can try to distract him with toys or a good old game of hide and seek around the new house. I'm sure we'll be fine.

Thanks for your replies,
    Mar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

I did this multiple times while in college with my cat. Moved up the road, round the corner, a street away etc.

I did the following each time and never had any problems whatsoever.

For the first week or so:
    1. Lots of extra play time/cuddle time/head scratching time. Whatever fuss your cat likes best, make sure he gets a lot of it.
    2. Treat him to his favourite foods - mine loves chicken, so he had that daily, plus milk daily (which he adored but would only get very occasionally)

Damage control:
    3. Mention it to the new renters of your old place, show them a photo of your cat, and give them your mobile number, just in case. I never needed it, but had one call: apparantly the cat climbed in through my old bedroom window and curled up on my old bed for a nap one night. The new renters gave me a call in the morning and I was about to go and get him when he came back in through our new window.

May your move be as easy as all of mine were :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I also just moved not very far from old house.
    The above advice is good, keep him in, make a big fuss, etc.
    When you do start letting him out do it before feeding him, I didn't feed mine breakfast the first day and went out into the garden with them and dropped a few bits of food for them to sniff out, then went in and left the window open and called them for food.
    Did this twice a day for a few days and the were fine.
    One of them does go walkabout and has been seen at the old house but not much and comes back quick.
    Good luck.

Oh and the food i used the first week or two was extra tasty crap they usually don't get, made the run in everytime I called for weeks ;)

Advertisement