Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert English 2012

• 03-04-2012 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

I want to get as much study done as possible over the Easter break but i just don't know where to start with english or what to study.
    What are your teachers saying thats gonna come up in Hamlet? in the comparative? and which poets? in the leaving cert 2012 by the way obviously haha
    Not trying to get predictions or anything but I just want to know what the majority think.
    Any help appreciated :):)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I remember being told many moons ago is not to get too hung up on learning too many quotes from Shakespeare due to it being somewhat risky and time consuming.For instance misquoting Shakespeare can have a negative effect on your answer,and as far as i can remember you might lose marks.

The best thing would be to learn the text inside out and understand it as much as you can so you can answer any question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

For the comparative just pick two from either GvvP, Lit.Gen and Theme/Issue and you'll be covered.. Its one of the few aspects of the English course that you can actually learn off by heart, or near enough without straying from the question. With Hamlet I'm just preparing ten essays which should have me covered I hope and also just learning about 10 general quotes and about 2 or 3 for each specific essay :) For poetry I'm just learning Plath, Larkin, Heaney and Rich :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Josh93

pmcmahon wrote: »
    I remember being told many moons ago is not to get too hung up on learning too many quotes from Shakespeare due to it being somewhat risky and time consuming.For instance misquoting Shakespeare can have a negative effect on your answer,and as far as i can remember you might lose marks.

The best thing would be to learn the text inside out and understand it as much as you can so you can answer any question.

We've been told ourselves that quoting is not only necessary, it's vital. Though it needs to be relevant to the question you're answering. As for poets, we've been told that Plath, Heaney, Larkin and Kinsella look the most likely bets.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭diarmo06

Kind of dreading the comparitive section.
    Is it fair to say, it's the same question every year? Basically- Discuss in regards to lit' genre/ general visionviewpoint etc.
    Thus, Is it high risk to learn off two "perfect" comparitives in two modes?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Britney_Spears

My Teacher has only covered Heaney, she is extremely confident he is coming up! Should I be worried? Will he come up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

My Teacher has only covered Heaney, she is extremely confident he is coming up! Should I be worried? Will he come up?
    She only covered 1 poet? :O That's either extremely risky or she knows something we don't :p Chances are Heaney will come up but there's always an off chance that he mightn't so I would say know probably another poet or two to a certain extent just for backup like!

She only covered 1 poet? :O That's either extremely risky or she knows something we don't :p Chances are Heaney will come up but there's always an off chance that he mightn't so I would say know probably another poet or two to a certain extent just for backup like!

Yea I'll probably do kinsella and Plath for back up :) but she is so sure about Heaney, hope she is right Heaney is so easy

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Josh93 wrote: »
    We've been told ourselves that quoting is not only necessary, it's vital. Though it needs to be relevant to the question you're answering. As for poets, we've been told that Plath, Heaney, Larkin and Kinsella look the most likely bets.

Well I barely quoted at all in any of my essays in the LC and I got an A1. I wouldn't think there is much of a need for it. A few general quotes will do fine. As long as you demonstrate that you have detailed knowledge of the texts and your argument is well written, then the corrector won't mark you down.

Your teacher is an idiot. You should study four more poets yourself, or at the very least cover all of the female or Irish poets on the syllabus (not sure who is on it this year). Even the teachers who are on the board that set the papers are not allowed to know what's coming up. They can submit potential questions but they are never shown what has actually been selected beforehand. Otherwise any teacher on the board could just tell their class what's coming up. It sounds like your teacher is lazy and couldn't be bothered doing any more work. Unless you have five poets covered, then there is NO GUARANTEE that someone you've studied will be on the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

The IOE were confident that Boland was coming up a few years ago, boy were they wrong. They predicted Boland would definitely come up and she didn't, causing the mental breakdowns of many students that year.. ;)

Will Heaney come up this year? I'm hoping he does and it's one of the predictions doing the rounds but nothing is guaranteed. Your teacher is a fool. I don't care what sources he says he has or if he knows someone blah blah blah, it's irresponsible of a teacher to only do one poet with a class. I'd advise you to get the advice of another teacher in your school ASAP about what you should do.

Whatever happens, good luck.. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭BellaVerita

Anyone have any advice for studying Plath by myself? We didn't study her poety in class but I'd like to study it.:cool: I don't really know how to go about it. What areas of her poetry should I focus on? What are the sort of questions that can be asked on her poetry?

• Advertisement

What are the likely question on Heaney, I covered Irish heritage and pride, childhood and a personal response. Anything else? Also for Plath/kinsella?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭paddykell

The English is always hard to predict, but basically I think what evreryone else is saying is right. Heaney is VERY likely, as is Sylvia Plath. They generally put up a female and an Irish poet. But as someone else said about Eavan Boland a few years ago, anything can come up on the day.

I did quite an in-depth blog about it on my Leaving Cert Diaries thing if anyone's interested: http://leavingcertdiaries.wordpress.com/2012/05/19/english-predictions/

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Aisling_boss

Personally i hope im covered with plath, heany and Kinsella.:p

Hamlet is driving me crazy! My teacher spent pointless hours just watching the movie and when giving us notes got the names of characters mixed up! I have nothing prepared for it because i personally dont know were to start :eek: :confused:

And she also confused me alot in the comparitive. She started lit. Genre and then suddenly switched t general vision and veiwpoint. And says i cant use How Many Miles To Babylon as my anchor text against Dancing At Lughnasa and Inside Im Dancing :confused::(

At least for the cmprehension, poetry and compositin Im well prepared! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

Personally i hope im covered with plath, heany and Kinsella.:p

Hamlet is driving me crazy! My teacher spent pointless hours just watching the movie and when giving us notes got the names of characters mixed up! I have nothing prepared for it because i personally dont know were to start :eek: :confused:

And she also confused me alot in the comparitive. She started lit. Genre and then suddenly switched t general vision and veiwpoint. And says i cant use How Many Miles To Babylon as my anchor text against Dancing At Lughnasa and Inside Im Dancing :confused::(

At least for the cmprehension, poetry and compositin Im well prepared! :D

Did she give a reason as to why you can't use How Many Miles to Babylon? as your anchor text?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Aisling_boss

Did she give a reason as to why you can't use How Many Miles to Babylon? as your anchor text?

She just said that she didnt like that text personally and she prefered using Dancing at Lughnasa as an Anchor text, as she wants me to compare parenting roles in the novels. We have also done the theme of friendship, which is what is was going to base my answer on, but she changed her mind after spending 3 weeks on it and changed to the theme of parenting. I went against what she said in the mocks, and i got a high mark compared to the rest of the class, but still not a great result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Songwriter

hey everyone , can someone tell me how hard is it to get a C3 in higher level english ?
    I have been studying my head out for that english coz i need to get a C3 but im worried that i dont get less than that
    I Really hope Sylvia Plath n Seamus come up this year for paper 2 or half the country is screwed *true story*
    any feedback , Anyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Nq12

Hi, for poetry essays has anyone's teacher or anyone mentioned anything about using quotes from the poet in the intro/conclusion? Not from the poems I mean, but maybe something they said regarding their own poetry. Does anyone think it's a bad thing to do? My teacher told us markers appreciate it but my brothers teacher told him last year it gets you marked down!
    Also, can anyone give me a good definition of general vision ad viewpoint? Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Nq12 wrote: »
    Hi, for poetry essays has anyone's teacher or anyone mentioned anything about using quotes from the poet in the intro/conclusion? Not from the poems I mean, but maybe something they said regarding their own poetry. Does anyone think it's a bad thing to do? My teacher told us markers appreciate it but my brothers teacher told him last year it gets you marked down!
    Also, can anyone give me a good definition of general vision ad viewpoint? Thanks in advance :)

I don't think you need to know any quotes from them, but you could give a short background of the poet if it fits.

The general vision and viewpoint definition my teacher gave us is 'General vision and viewpoint is the dominant or controlling outlook of the author as it is revealed in the narrative'. She told us to put that in the introduction but I'm not sure if you have to.

And I think you can change it to 'author/director', because of the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 keoghconut

What are the likely question on Heaney, I covered Irish heritage and pride, childhood and a personal response. Anything else? Also for Plath/kinsella?
    I got a mock heaney question on his appreciation of nature/natural world ,tricky.
    Plath,usually mental anguish/turmoil/vivid poetry

• Registered Users Posts: 2 keoghconut

Is there any last minute ,failsafe topics to study for hamlet?havent looked at it since fifth year..
    :eek:
    also what kind of questions do people expect for rich if she comes up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

For the comparative, in the mock the examiner didn't mark a lot of my comparisons. They should have been marked though because they were proper ones (not superficial ones) and a few were definitely used in Key notes. I lost a lot of marks because they only counted a few.

Anyway, to avoid this happening in the real thing would underlining the comparative words or make them stand out somehow be ok? Because that would mean they can't overlook them. Has anyone heard of/done that before and is it ok to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭RedTexan

What did ye make of paper 1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

RedTexan wrote: »
    What did ye make of paper 1?

The thread for Paper I is here, please keep all discussion there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rossco11

what type of questions could be asked on poets? style of writing....etc??

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Booom!

Plath was a depressing bitch, discuss
    Rich had such a view on human relationships, discuss
    Heaney's poetry influenced by his home/ childhood etc

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ImFudged

What essays have you guys prepared for hamlet and poetry. I don't have any i just know quotes and characters. Ill make it up tomorrow. Im just wondering am i unprepared?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

For Hamlet I have Hamlet himself, women, solilioquies, deception, laertes & fortinbras.

Poetry:
    Plath (Disturbing imagery, deeply personal, gripping intense poetry)
    Larkin (Era/Setting, Community, Life/Death Cycle, Style/Structure)
    Heaney (Life and Language)

Hoping it'll be enough:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ellie66

Whats most likely for Hamlet higher level ? (:
    If you had to narrow it down.
    And for comparative, theres a pretty good chance for General Vision right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ImFudged

Okay, what does an essay for hamlet on false appearance/ vs reality have to contain, I actually have no idea. Just in case I need it, yano yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

If appearance vs Reality appears, it will be a theme. You are dealing with the conflict between the two themes within the play and are showcasing how we as a reader can witness this theme play out in the form of certain characters in the play. E.g- Hamlets antic disposition, Claudius etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement