Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert English 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

ImFudged wrote: »
    Okay, what does an essay for hamlet on false appearance/ vs reality have to contain, I actually have no idea. Just in case I need it, yano yourself

The way they pretend to be something they're not e.g:

Claudius pretends to be a good king/pretends to like Hamlet when really he's a murderer and insincere etc
    Hamlet pretends to be mad
    There's a good few more, it's just like a deception essay but with the reality included in it too.

If you have the red Hamlet book with the crystal skull on the cover, there's good notes in the back of that, idk about other versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭siobhan93

What's the timing on paper 2? Like how long do you spend on each section?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 piperroche

Did she give a reason as to why you can't use How Many Miles to Babylon? as your anchor text?

I'm using HMMTB as my anchor text and the teacher to use the one you're most comfortable with!
    What are the chances of Plath coming up? as well as GV and V? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

siobhan93 wrote: »

My timing for tomorrows exam:

Poetry: 40-45 minutes
    Hamlet: 50 minutes
    Comparative: 50 minutes
    Unseen Poem : Expendable (I will do if i have time)

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭_pure_mule_

Nq12 wrote: »
    Hi, for poetry essays has anyone's teacher or anyone mentioned anything about using quotes from the poet in the intro/conclusion? Not from the poems I mean, but maybe something they said regarding their own poetry. Does anyone think it's a bad thing to do? My teacher told us markers appreciate it but my brothers teacher told him last year it gets you marked down!
    Also, can anyone give me a good definition of general vision ad viewpoint? Thanks in advance :)
    Use quotes, it makes it sound like you know your sh1t! General vision and viewpoint is the prevailing viewpoint of an author or director in relation to the world they are descibing!:)

• Advertisement

piperroche wrote: »
    I'm using HMMTB as my anchor text and the teacher to use the one you're most comfortable with!
    What are the chances of Plath coming up? as well as GV and V? Thanks :)

Plath is the apparent favorite to appear, i don't really know why. I would think Heaney is more possible than Plath. Boland or Kavanagh may make an appearance. Rich has been asked quite a few ways so there's not really much they can ask you on her, thats why im not doing her.
    Boland could be "The (Dark) Horse" to come up....
    Larkin is tipped

Is it true they changed the author of the paper 2 due to its predictability?

What? Please do expand on this statement

Does anyone know if Kinsella is supposed to come up?

He's the one I want to write about the most but everyone seems to think other poets will come up?

Would they actually go 20 something years without a question on him and then not put him on the paper at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

You mean chief examiner? I heard he/she changed

• Advertisement

So a friend of mine heard. The Minister was giving out due to the predictability of the exams so they got someone else in to make the paper. Im not sure whether or not there's truth in this! The friend also said they did this in 2001 and so the poets of the 2000 paper came up! I only heard this, not sure whether it's true!

So a friend of mine heard. The Minister was giving out due to the predictability of the exams so they got someone else in to make the paper. Im not sure whether or not there's truth in this! The friend also said they did this in 2001 and so the poets of the 2000 paper came up! I only heard this, not sure whether it's true!

It's a hard enough paper as it is, there's no need to make it worse :\

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

I doubt it was due to predictability that they changed. maybe the old chief had to retire or something to thAt effect.

lets hope not anyways!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

Dapics wrote: »
    My timing for tomorrows exam:

Poetry: 40-45 minutes
    Hamlet: 50 minutes
    Comparative: 50 minutes
    Unseen Poem : Expendable (I will do if i have time)

Just going to point out that it looks like you have timed it for 180 minutes, this year we have 200 minutes, to three hours and twenty minutes. Plenty of time I'd say and I'm going in with nothing learnt off as it should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

I'm going for a mark a minute.

60 on Single, 70 on comparative and 70 on poetry (20 on unseen and 50 on prescribed).

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭FinnD

What essays/topics are you putting all your last minute study into between tonight and tomorrow morning? For me- Heaney,appearance versus reality and general vision essays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

No point learning a load of essays imo,
    Just know the important quotes and have a good idea of the themes etc

Writing learned off essays in the exams never really answer a question fully.

Right now Im going over my hamlet quotes and since I'm taking a chance and just learning Heany Im going over his peoms and quotes.

And later on to relax I may watch Inside Im dancing the film Im doing for my comparitive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭FinnD

No point learning a load of essays imo,
    Just know the important quotes and have a good idea of the themes.

Writing learned off essays in the exams never really answer a question fully.

Right now Im going over my hamlet quotes and since I'm taking a chance and just learning Heany Im going over his peoms and quotes.

And later on to relax I may watch Inside Im dancing the film Im doing for my comparitive :)

Worked perfectly for me in the mocks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 darryl_griffin

Do ye think it's a good idea to rent Hamlet out and watch the film? Would there be good quotes in it? or could it be completely different from the book?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Darren.993

Do ye think it's a good idea to rent Hamlet out and watch the film? Would there be good quotes in it? or could it be completely different from the book?
    I always find with learning off quotes you actually have to learn them from the books. There's the whole thing with different parts of one quote being on different lines and commas being between certain words.

I'd say just pick a handful of quotes from the book and try to learn them really well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

Darren.993 wrote: »
    I always find with learning off quotes you actually have to learn them from the books. There's the whole thing with different parts of one quote being on different lines and commas being between certain words.

I'd say just pick a handful of quotes from the book and try to learn them really well.

I'd agree with, perhaps the final two pages of the book titled important quotes or the like ;)

I think the full film is on youtube. We watched the one with Kenneth Branagh, it's good and it kinda helps to remember the quotes. Don't bother with the Mel Gibson one.

Edit// it's here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAGVlYQj-go

• Registered Users Posts: 4 darryl_griffin

Naomi00 wrote: »
    I think the full film is on youtube. We watched the one with Kenneth Branagh, it's good and it kinda helps to remember the quotes. Don't bother with the Mel Gibson one.

Edit// it's here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAGVlYQj-go

Oh shiiiiittt, Naomi.. marry me?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

On the theme on soliloquies in hamlet,
    how did people structure essays? Im trying to get the grips on one now and have decent points but it's not very coherent :(

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

I haven't posted in here in ages so don't actually know any of you current LCers, but I wish you all the best with English Paper 2!

This time exactly a year ago, I was an absolutely nervous wreck - I desperately wanted an A1 in English, for my own satisfaction as well as needing it to get my course, so Paper 2 was literally the most stressful thing of my life then. The day before (aka now) was worst... I was both completely dreading it (in case it went badly) and wanting it to be over at the same time. Leaving Cert really is a horrific jumble of emotions, ahaha. :pac:

It seems pathetic now, but I still feel all panicky just remembering it - watching the RTE news reports about Paper 1 today made me feel jittery. :P So I know exactly how you all feel now with the infinite possibilities of Hamlet questions and poets weighing you down. :P

My advice is to stop studying NOW to let your poor brain unwind and rejuvenate for a bit, read something nice for an hour or two and then turn the lights out early. I took a sleeping tablet the night before English Paper 2 last year, as I was so stressed that I probably wouldn't have slept well otherwise. It was wonderful - I had about 10 hours of sleep and felt all refreshed in the morning. :D Until I remembered what lay ahead in just a couple of hours, of course...
    Have a good breakfast tomorrow, look over your notes for an hour or two after that, but DON'T attempt to learn things off by heart at this stage, and try to walk into school or something so there'll be oxygen in your brain. Get into school early to stop yourself stressing if you're relying on public transport, and also so you can have one last quick look over the notes, and release stress/get moral support from friends. :P

For the actual exam itself, arrive at least 10 minutes early so you have a few minutes to take some deep breaths. Remember timing, and remember that it's quality rather than quantity.Take no notice of the inevitable student asking for extra paper an hour into the exam. I don't think I wrote more than 5 pages for any of the essays on paper 2, and I got an A1. It's much more important that you answer the question properly and don't go off in a big tangent or start retelling the story. It may seem impossible to finish the paper properly when you think about it now - I was convinced last year that I'd open the paper see the questions and just blank... But the adrenaline should see you through if you can keep a calm head! And this is coming from someone who was borderline having a nervous breakdown about English last year, as I'm sure you can tell already. :pac:

Reading this back makes me sound pathetic, ahaha - just goes to show what a horrible paper English is. I'm still traumatised by it, even though I did well! I shall stop rambling aimlessly now, so GOOD LUCK!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Darren.993

Violafy wrote: »
    I haven't posted in here in ages so don't actually know any of you current LCers, but I wish you all the best with English Paper 2!

This time exactly a year ago, I was an absolutely nervous wreck - I desperately wanted an A1 in English, for my own satisfaction as well as needing it to get my course, so Paper 2 was literally the most stressful thing of my life then. The day before (aka now) was worst... I was both completely dreading it (in case it went badly) and wanting it to be over at the same time. Leaving Cert really is a horrific jumble of emotions, ahaha. :pac:

It seems pathetic now, but I still feel all panicky just remembering it - watching the RTE news reports about Paper 1 today made me feel jittery. :P So I know exactly how you all feel now with the infinite possibilities of Hamlet questions and poets weighing you down. :P

My advice is to stop studying NOW to let your poor brain unwind and rejuvenate for a bit, read something nice for an hour or two and then turn the lights out early. I took a sleeping tablet the night before English Paper 2 last year, as I was so stressed that I probably wouldn't have slept well otherwise. It was wonderful - I had about 10 hours of sleep and felt all refreshed in the morning. :D Until I remembered what lay ahead in just a couple of hours, of course...
    Have a good breakfast tomorrow, look over your notes for an hour or two after that, but DON'T attempt to learn things off by heart at this stage, and try to walk into school or something so there'll be oxygen in your brain. Get into school early to stop yourself stressing if you're relying on public transport, and also so you can have one last quick look over the notes, and release stress/get moral support from friends. :P

For the actual exam itself, arrive at least 10 minutes early so you have a few minutes to take some deep breaths. Remember timing, and remember that it's quality rather than quantity.Take no notice of the inevitable student asking for extra paper an hour into the exam. I don't think I wrote more than 5 pages for any of the essays on paper 2, and I got an A1. It's much more important that you answer the question properly and don't go off in a big tangent or start retelling the story. It may seem impossible to finish the paper properly when you think about it now - I was convinced last year that I'd open the paper see the questions and just blank... But the adrenaline should see you through if you can keep a calm head! And this is coming from someone who was borderline having a nervous breakdown about English last year, as I'm sure you can tell already. :pac:

Reading this back makes me sound pathetic, ahaha - just goes to show what a horrible paper English is. I'm still traumatised by it, even though I did well! I shall stop rambling aimlessly now, so GOOD LUCK!
    It really is a stressful exam. It's so broad, like they can literally throw anything at you.

Well done on the A1. I was hoping for an A as well, but after my essay today that's well and truly gone out the window. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

Darren.993 wrote: »
    It really is a stressful exam. It's so broad, like they can literally throw anything at you.

Well done on the A1. I was hoping for an A as well, but after my essay today that's well and truly gone out the window. :pac:

Don't give up hope! I kept going through phases throughout the summer with how I thought the exam had gone... Sometimes I'd feel semi-confident that I'd done enough to get an A, and other times I'd be mentally killing myself for not writing that little bit more... I was so OCD about English now that I think back. :P But it's impossible to know how you've done, really. The satisfaction of doing well in other subjects was nothing compared to the A in English for me, so I really hope you get it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭siobhan93

2 questions:
    What questions can they ask on Laertes and Fortinbras? I think i'll look at them now but the only Q i can think that they'd ask is revenge and that came up last year.

And yano if they ask write an introduction to say one of the poets? Do you just write it like it's any other essay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

2 questions:
    What questions can they ask on Laertes and Fortinbras? I think i'll look at them now but the only Q i can think that they'd ask is revenge and that came up last year.

Laertes and Fortinbras are foils of Hamlet,so really I wouldn't worry too much about them,talk about them if revenge comes up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Vetton

2 questions:

And yano if they ask write an introduction to say one of the poets? Do you just write it like it's any other essay?

I'm not looking at the characters at all, so I can't really provide much help on that, but I could suggest how their role has some importance in the play? I dunno.

An introduction should be a piece about the poet's background (just a little insight, don't give them a biography), a brief outline of what techniques and styles the poet uses and an overlook on what you're going to discuss and develop further in your essay. I've been graded A's for my answers and that's what I go by, so you can try that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement