Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Choice Course Interview?

Options
  • 03-04-2012 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,

I have just received an email asking me to attend an interview for my second choice on my CAO. Does this mean that my 1st choice was rejected by the college, so therefore my second choice was given to the next college?

Bit confused, really really wanted my first choice, and am a bit disappointed not to even get called for an interview. I suppose I should've just put down the one choice, and left it at that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭antkeane

If you just put the one choice down you wouldnt have got the interview for this one! (And have to wait another year).

Be happy!!

Plus you may still get the interview for the first choice. (you may even get interviews for your 10th choice).

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Lor2010

My heart isn't really in the second choice, would nearly prefer to cancel it, and leave the opportunity open for people who really want it (if that makes sense!)

So, what you are saying is I may get an opportunity for my first choice interview even now?

You may do. But unless you are positive you will get it (good grades/ foundation courses / experience etc) I would take the second option. Depending on the course you may be able to do your first year in the second choice and move to a different uni in your second year.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

Congratulations on being called for interview! An achievment in itself :) I'd really recommend having a think about whether you want to do this course or not tho LOR. As a mature student I would not recommend taking a course just because you are offered it if your heart is not in it.

I'm not sure the procedure for "cancelling" a course on your CAO, but i'm sure someone on the board can help with that. I would say go along to the interview for the experience. You're not really wasting their time, as they have already invited you for interview, and if you decide later you don't want the course, you can reject it. As far as i'm aware that will not jeopardise any other course offer you may receive.

AFAIK, you may be invited to interview for several courses. Maybe double check on CAO website.

Being a mature student is brilliant but it's also really flipping hard, and if you're not really passionate about the course, why do it? Why go to that trouble, expense, toil, if its not something you really want to do, day in, day out for 2 or 3 or 4 years. What will keep you motivated?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

I think it would be a good idea to go for the interview even for the experience alone. You may still get called for your first choice and having an idea of what to expect will help you better prepare for that interview.

Advertisement