Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

disposing of leylandi cuttings

Options
  • 03-04-2012 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

hi guys moved into house couple of years ago with a run of 16 ft leylandi all around the boundary (boundary is about 100 yards altogether). i want them cut to about 6ft to make it easier trim them in future but i'm unsure what to do with the huge amount of waste its going to generate. should i hire a skip? wood chipper or??
    based in kilkenny
    all ideas appreciated but composting is definitely not an option, it'd take decades for them to decompose,
    and yes i hate leylandi too but removing them completely is not on the cards either, thanks guys

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've spent quite a few hours in the last months running similar cuttings through a garden mulcher; it makes good mulch to lay down in the garden around plants, or on unpaved paths.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Ive used them for firewood before (after them drying out for several months).
    Seemed to burn very well.

You could possibly chainsaw them up and sell them on in bags as firewood (donedeal and adverts)??

Wood chipper/mulchier would be a good idea though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i should point out - anything thicker than about three quarters of an inch was prepped as firewood, anything less woody was mulched.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

thanks guys what size chipper did ye use? would a 2 inch (80 euro a day) be big enough or should i go higher (6 inch 200 a day) do the leaves or spindles clog up the shredder at all?

edit: just seen magicblasters second post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Electric mulcher/chippers are useless, they will drive you to insanity.

• Advertisement

i've been using an electric einhell, does the job without much fuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kynzvart

Have you got space where you could have a big bonfire and get rid of it all.Shredders are expensive to hire. The locals dumps here, you can take it to, and they will shred it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

burning is illegal here unfortunately, maybe i should of waited til halloween :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

Are you sure you can't burn them?

In a lot of areas it is still OK to burn garden waste, it is not ok to burn domestic waste.

Advertisement