Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

touch site access to private forums

Options
  • 03-04-2012 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭

it happens every so often that i am unable to access a private forum on the touch site, it effectively disappears from my subbed forums and no threads show up from it in the "my threads" tab.

i switched from using the inbuilt nokia browser on my nokia X6 to using opera, and the same thing still happens, and as i said it happens intermittently, so it's hard to pin down the exact cause, but i dont think the fault is on my end as my other forums show up fine, AND, i can still access said private forum on the full site.

i checked with the mods and there are no issues with my access as far as they are concerned so its not as if my access has been rescinded.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Next time it happens, visit the desktop site, then visit the touch site immediately after. If it resolves, let us know :)

Or better yet, refresh the page after about 30 seconds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

it remains unresolved at the moment Danny, i have tried your suggestions previously, and just now, but still it remains unresolved.

other things i have tried:

- cleared cache, cookies and history, etc on both the opera browser (opera mobile), and the nokia browser.

- accessed the site using m.boards.ie (that was painful!), and i am still able to see the posts in the private forum under the "subbed" link, and access said forum.

- i have cleared my history and temp files on the laptop using ccleaner and IE9, just to rule out the possibility of leftover cookies that might still allow me access by default.

- cleared all system cache files on the phone using and app called NetQin Mobile Guard and restarted the phone.

- repeated all the above steps just to be absolutely clear and thorough.

and still no joy.

the forum ID is 1261 and this is a screen grab off the mobile taken minutes ago and uploaded to the desktop site:

Scr000007.jpg

Hey,

I can confirm we've got a permissions mismatch for you on the permissions that are used for the touch site. I'm going to see if I can track this down. When were you granted forum access? Scratch that, you were granted access back on the 14th of February

Danny

Touch permissions are cached for 4 hours, so if it happens again (and you retry) and it's the same it's probably going to deny you touch access to that forum for 4 hours. That's when you come in here and update this bug report :)

danny this can be marked "resolved" now, i've been able to cycle through the previous options and now have no problem with access to the private forum on the touch site.

• Advertisement

I'll mark it resolved but leave it open for you because it was a strange issue that may crop up again for you or other people :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Started using boards touch site yesterday and had the same issue. It appears to have sorted itself out now though

hi lads, can ye look at this issue again?

i logged on to touch.boards.ie from a different device (a samsung galaxy S+, android device, stock rom, android 2.3.5), and it seems to have somehow revoked my permissions again for access to the same private forum as before.

i have full access on the full site, but back again on my nokia x6 using opera browser i seem to have no access.

the problem seems to have occurred when i logged on using the other device just now.

Hey there,

Cheers for bringing this back onto the radar, we'll get looking at it as soon as we can :)

Danny

Hey there,

Cheers for bringing this back onto the radar, we'll get looking at it as soon as we can :)

Danny

this is working again now Danny, thanks for that... :)

• Advertisement

xsiborg wrote: »
    this is working again now Danny, thanks for that... :)

erm... yeah.

'tis me again, same issue, etc.

changed my registered e-mail address this morning because i couldnt receive e-mail notifications when away from home, also changed my login password in my user profile, got the activation e-mail, can access all subbed forums and threads on the full site, cant access said forum on the touch site, nor do any threads show up... :(

We've not fixed the issue at all, it's the bank holiday weekend :)

Permissions on touch are handled entirely different to full desktop Boards, so I would expect this to be a touch-only issue. We'll take a look as soon as we can

We've not fixed the issue at all, it's the bank holiday weekend :)

Permissions on touch are handled entirely different to full desktop Boards, so I would expect this to be a touch-only issue. We'll take a look as soon as we can

its cool now again danny, i hadnt expected you'd be working so i was gonna leave it til morning til i tried again, but the permissions must have reset themselves later due to that four hour cache as i was able to access it again just there now when the threads started showing up again.

thanks anyway danny, and i'll give it a day next time it happens before i post a bug report.

cheers danny! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I logged in yesterday evening on a new device, when I went to my forums 'OTG' was missing and when I scrolled the forum list to click in I got the 'No permission' message. So I tried on my phone, same thing

Back to the tablet and tried the full site and it worked without problem. Seems to be fine now though :confused:

It's a recurring permissions bug with touch, and there is no discernable pattern. It's proving very hard to track down because of this but that's for bringing it back to the forefront

Danny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

It's a recurring permissions bug with touch, and there is no discernable pattern. It's proving very hard to track down because of this but that's for bringing it back to the forefront

Danny

Sorry I had got onto an admin about it and he asked me to post it here, I hadn't realised you already had a thread on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Paddy

We deployed a fix for this yesterday, I'm going to mark the thread as resolved but leave it open as, given the nature of the bug, it's hard to be 100% certain that it is resolved.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement