Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wear pants or skirt to interview?

• 03-04-2012 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭rainbows7

It's for an interview in a run down school. Which is best to wear? Thinking with a skirt I may look over dressed? Tks for your help in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Regardless of where the interview is on you should always make your best effort to look your best and professional.
    I had an interview yesterday morning and I wore a grey pencil skirt, crisp white wide lapel shirt with 3/4 sleeves and a black fitted blazer, nude tights and black suede heels. There were others there for the interview who wore slacks and a shirt and even some in jeans. For me, I'd rather be slightly over dressed and give the impression of professionalism rather than really under dressed and leave the interviewers thinking that I was unsuitable for the role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

hazel111 wrote: »
    It's for an interview in a run down school. Which is best to wear? Thinking with a skirt I may look over dressed? Tks for your help in advance.

First of all, the fact that the school is "run down" should not even come into your head! It is a place of work where there are professional standards. You should look very smart, wear professional attire - a suit pants or skirt and a matching jacket.

Even if you are overdressed, it is much better looking like you've made an effort to dress well and you will look professional. Some people tend to make the mistake of dressing similar to the people who currently work there, i.e. if you're going for an interview in a place of work where they always wear casual, you're still way better to dress in a suit rather than casual attire, even if you'll never wear the suit again if you got the job there!

First impressions are everything, make sure it's a good one. They won't be offended if you're too smartly dressed, but if you're a way under-dressed, that could go against you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Mouldy Mary

You should always wear a skirt to an interview. I had a boss once who used to say "no one was ever sacked for wearing a skirt, many were sacked for wearing trousers."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

You should always wear a skirt to an interview. I had a boss once who used to say "no one was ever sacked for wearing a skirt, many were sacked for wearing trousers."

What??

I would NEVER wear a skirt to an interview as I'm not a "skirty" person.
    I wear smart clothes that I feel represent me.
    I wouldn't wear a skirt cos that's not me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I agree with ElleEm. No-one should feel they "have" to wear a skirt. And I am a skirty person.

Being overdressed shouldn't be an issue in an interview scenario OP. Wear what you feel most comfortable and professional in, if wearing a skirt would make you feel uncomfortable then don't.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭bath handle

ElleEm wrote: »
    [QUOTE=Mouldy Mary;78012608

What??

I would NEVER wear a skirt to an interview as I'm not a "skirty" person.
    I wear smart clothes that I feel represent me.
    I wouldn't wear a skirt cos that's not me.
    Some employers have a policy ; No "skirty", No " Jobby".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

I don't think I'd want to work for a company that had a ridiculous policy like that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

I don't think I'd want to work for a company that had a ridiculous policy like that

A company can't have a policy like that officially. The problem is at the interview. The interviewer can just decide someone is "unsuitable" because of some prejudice and nothing can be done about it afterwards.

A company can't have a policy like that officially. The problem is at the interview. The interviewer can just decide someone is "unsuitable" because of some prejudice and nothing can be done about it afterwards.

some people on this thread are saying otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

Whatever you decide, make sure that you feel comfortable. You don't want to spend the time being self conscious of your skirt in case in rides up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Your boss is an outdated dinosaur.

Op I'd suggest a skirt suit or a trouser suit. Whichever you feel more comfortable in.

Always dress up, rather then down.
    If you feel too dressed up when you arrive you can take off a jacket.
    If you feel too dressed down you can NEVER make a change that will dress you up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Andremac96

skirt would be better but depends on you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

If you're a man I'd go for the pants.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭bath handle

amdublin wrote: »

Your boss is an outdated dinosaur.

Op I'd suggest a skirt suit or a trouser suit. Whichever you feel more comfortable in.

Always dress up, rather then down.
    If you feel too dressed up when you arrive you can take off a jacket.
    If you feel too dressed down you can NEVER make a change that will dress you up.
    What if there is another outdated dinosaur on the interview board?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

aujopimur wrote: »
    If you're a man I'd go for the pants.

Was thinking the same.. imagine turning up with the same skirt as the person interviewing you..he may not be too impressed ..

some people on this thread are saying otherwise.

http://www.equalitytribunal.ie/uploadedfiles/Decisions/EE09-2000.PDF

RECOMMENDATION
    6.1 Based on the foregoing I find that Tesco Ireland formerly Power Supermarkets directly
    discriminated against the 45 named female claimants in terms of Section 2(a) of the
    Employment Equality Act, 1977 and contrary to Section 3 of that Act when it refused to allow
    them to wear trousers whilst at work.
    6.2 In accordance with paragraph 5.10 above I recommend that Tesco Ireland pay a total of
    £1,500 to the 30 female claimants who are na

http://www.equalitytribunal.ie/uploadedfiles/Decisions/EE09-2000.PDF

RECOMMENDATION
    6.1 Based on the foregoing I find that Tesco Ireland formerly Power Supermarkets directly
    discriminated against the 45 named female claimants in terms of Section 2(a) of the
    Employment Equality Act, 1977 and contrary to Section 3 of that Act when it refused to allow
    them to wear trousers whilst at work.
    6.2 In accordance with paragraph 5.10 above I recommend that Tesco Ireland pay a total of
    £1,500 to the 30 female claimants who are na

I'm aware its illegal, but some people here are saying they've experienced otherwise.
    breaking a red light is against the law, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I'm aware its illegal, but some people here are saying they've experienced otherwise.

My point is that it is easy to get rid of someone at the interview stage for wearing trousers. Any old excuse can be given.

My point is that it is easy to get rid of someone at the interview stage for wearing trousers. Any old excuse can be given.
    That is why a skirt should always be worn to the interview and also the first day at work. There is no point in losing a job just because of a dislike of skirts. A bit of practice wearing similar clothes to the interview outfit a few times in the days before the interview will eliminate any discomfort or awkwardness.

I have never worn a skirt to interviews. A smart suit with trousers looks businesslike enough.
    If they don't want to hire me on such a stupid pretext considering everything else I have to offer, I'm better off.

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    A smart suit with trousers looks businesslike enough.
    f.
    That is really a matter for the interviewer, not the candidate. If somebody wants a job, they should not appear to be obstinate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

That is why a skirt should always be worn to the interview and also the first day at work. There is no point in losing a job just because of a dislike of skirts. A bit of practice wearing similar clothes to the interview outfit a few times in the days before the interview will eliminate any discomfort or awkwardness.

And what of those interviewers who dislike skirts? What if somebody secretly thinks any woman showing any leg is a disgrace? Surely trousers would be safer then?

It works both ways. Wear a smart suit - trousers or skirt. You will not be overdressed for the interview.

And what of those interviewers who dislike skirts? What if somebody secretly thinks any woman showing any leg is a disgrace? Surely trousers would be safer then?

The balance of probabilities favours skirts.

http://career.ucla.edu/Files/PDF/CFA/CFA_GetthatInterviewMakeove_UCLACareerCenter.pdf

For female candidates, they suggest:
    • White, off-white, or neutral-colored blouse with a conservative neckline
    • Suit with a skirt preferable to a pantsuit
    • Avoid ill-fitting (short, tight, clingy, or slit) skirts
    • Closed-toe leather pumps with low to medium heels
    • Avoid open-toe strappy high heels, sandals, or shoes with decorations
    • Natural, skin-colored hosiery
    • Briefcase or portfolio in place of a handbag or purse
    • Conservative nail polish - avoid unusual colors, e.g. green, blue, lavender
    • Understated makeup
    • Understated classic accessories that do not exceed 13 in number
    • Small stud earrings instead of dangling or oversized earrings
    • Pull back long hair in a neat, simple style - no “big hair” or elaborate styles.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Gin Fizz

I think that putting your best foot forward and showing that you make an effort is important at an interview so as long as you look and feel your best I think that counts for so much at an interview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Perhaps, but I wouldn't necessarily compare American attitudes with Irish ones.

Perhaps, but I wouldn't necessarily compare American attitudes with Irish ones.

Look at the cases taken before the Equality Tribunal. There are numerous cases of women being put under pressure to wear skirts.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/business/mhidgbqlgbau/
    http://www.eatribunal.ie/determinationAttachments/7db9702f-c2ef-45c2-923e-816c8fb61258.pdf
    http://www.equalitytribunal.ie/uploadedfiles/Decisions/DEC-E2000-08.PDF
    Also look at this thread in the Work & Jobs Forum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=62921906

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DeirdreP

Wear a skirt (not too short mind) - IMO nobody every failed an interview for wearing a skirt. Once you get the job you can wear what you like (within reason obviuosly :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Hmm what about entry level jobs, such competition now turning up "dressed" might look odd if everyone else isn't :s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

I think slacks are hard to pull off or at least find ones that fit properly if you can fine but most off the rail ones don't fit thighs and waists very well unless you're trim, maybe thats just what I've found as a short person of 5"3 they just dwarf me but I cannot believe employers would have such an issue about slacks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Wear pants or skirt to interview?

Suggest your wear both, otherwise the employers may think you are related to Sharon Stone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭secretambition

My personal favourite is a dress and matching jacket in a conservative colour. I'm not a shirt person so I go for a slash neck dress. (at least I think that's the term I'm looking for.:))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

saa wrote: »
    Hmm what about entry level jobs, such competition now turning up "dressed" might look odd if everyone else isn't :s

It might be the one thing that gives you an edge/distinguishes you from the others ;)

I had this dilemma a few weeks ago, sadly I didn't get the job but, I did feel better for wearing a skirt that day and felt it was the right choice (It was a school also), the other female applicants I saw had also went with a skirt.

Truthfully, I don't think a smart trouser suit should be a dealbreaker but, I suspect it might be to somer interviewers:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭pixie_dust

I have a few interviews coming up and can't find any suits that don't look as if they are made for old women.

So therefore I will probably wear a dress(not anything too conservative), trousers can look boring sometimes...and if there is old men interviewing -you're probably better off looking girly since those attitudes still exist within this country.

But I'd only wear whatever you feel most comfortable in, you'll feel more relaxed and natural; which will give off a better vibe to employers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

I, personally, think when it comes to interview clothes that keeping it simple if a really good look. Clean, reasonably plain (but with something that will be remembered, not for the wrong reasons!) and not looking like you are trying too hard to impress with your clothes. If you do go for a skirt, don't go much above the knee (I cannot remember the number of times I have sat in waiting rooms with belts on display - once sat across from a girl, in a waiting room for an interview, whose underwear I could see the entire time due to the shortness of her skirt. So tacky).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I, personally, think when it comes to interview clothes that keeping it simple if a really good look. Clean, reasonably plain (but with something that will be remembered, not for the wrong reasons!) and not looking like you are trying too hard to impress with your clothes. If you do go for a skirt, don't go much above the knee

Yup, you have to do the sitting test! Might look fine standing, but sitting might be another story!

• Advertisement

saa wrote: »
    I think slacks are hard to pull off or at least find ones that fit properly if you can fine but most off the rail ones don't fit thighs and waists very well unless you're trim, maybe thats just what I've found as a short person of 5"3 they just dwarf me but I cannot believe employers would have such an issue about slacks!

About 10% do according to the American surveys.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 smirker

I think a lot depends on the level of job you are applying for. I had a boss who thought that lower status female employees should only wear trousers and that skirts were for the higher status only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Versatile Fashionista

I always wear trousers personally :)

I always wear trousers personally :)

What other way can you wear your trousers?
    You can hardly get someone else to wear them for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 kneeler

A skirt is the only thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

Every job interview I've gone for I've been offered the job or advancement to the next stage and I've never worn a skirt. I must be the exception the rule.

If you're not used to wearing skirts it's going to make you feel uncomfortable. If you feel comfortable in pants, chances are you'll do a good interview and this is all a good employer should be interested in.

If someone employs you on the basis that you wore a skirt well I'd say there'll be trouble down the line.

shinny wrote: »
    Every job interview I've gone for I've been offered the job or advancement to the next stage and I've never worn a skirt. I must be the exception the rule.

If you're not used to wearing skirts it's going to make you feel uncomfortable. If you feel comfortable in pants, chances are you'll do a good interview and this is all a good employer should be interested in.

If someone employs you on the basis that you wore a skirt well I'd say there'll be trouble down the line.

Given that only 10% of interviewers have a difficulty with trousers there are bound to be people who never encounter one of them, even after a large number of interviews. the point is that they are out there. It is not so much that they employ someone on the basis that they wear a skirt but they refuse to employ someone who wears trousers.

Advertisement