Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

photoshop bleeds.

Options
  • 03-04-2012 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know how to make a 5mm bleed around a image for printing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Osmosae

I might be mistaken in what you're looking for but .....

Photoshop doesn't have any native bleed settings ( at least that i'm aware ). When setting up your document at the start u should account for it. So if your document is 100mm x 100mm, and you want a 5mm bleed around the edges, create a document 110mm x 110mm. You can then set up your rulers to show you what's most important

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

cool stuff cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Osmosae

If you already have an image underway, u can also adjust the canvas of whats already there by going into Image ---> Canvas, and then add your bleed to that

Alternatively again you could take your images from photoshop into indesign which has native bleeds ... if ur not already familiar with indesign though, theres no need to learn it just for this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Does anyone know how to make a 5mm bleed around a image for printing?

Be sure you understand what the bleed actually 'is' before merely extending the canvas by 5mm each side.

You must ensure that any artwork that should go to the edge of the page extends to the bleed area.

i.e not much point having lovely artwork, and a 5mm white bleed around it and sending that to the printer!

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭flanree

I hear your pain Dublin Gunner, I'm guessin you work at a printers too?

• Advertisement

flanree wrote: »
    I hear your pain Dublin Gunner, I'm guessin you work at a printers too?

Nope, designer - but I've heard all the stories lol (a few friends in printers alright!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Most the work i've done has been digital but now i'm working for a dude and the bleeds need to be 5mm on all works was just clearing up what a bleed was :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Create the canvas size with the 5mm bleed accounted for and in the print menu, under output, you can select cut marks and input the bleed you intended.

For those that don't know:

198961.jpg

Bleed area highlighted for clarity.

The trim or cut marks show where the exact edge of the finished document should be. When cutting from the sheet however, it is not always exact, so a 'bleed' is a part of the page that extends beyond where the edge actually will be. This allows for your designs to always reach right to the edge of the finished document, even if the printers page trimming isn't exact.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Photoshop doesn't have a bleed option/setting because it's for editing and manipulating images, and not for producing print-ready artwork.

If you are doing more of this work you should consider stepping up to InDesign. When a full DTP application app is used the colours, graphics, text and images can all be adjusted separately later, between RIP and print, and will produce a better quality job with accurate colour.

..but if you're just printing images or photos, you can ignore all of this. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Photoshop doesn't have a bleed option/setting because it's for editing and manipulating images, and not for producing print-ready artwork.

If you are doing more of this work you should consider stepping up to InDesign. When a full DTP application app is used the colours, graphics, text and images can all be adjusted separately later, between RIP and print, and will produce a better quality job with accurate colour.

..but if you're just printing images or photos, you can ignore all of this. :D

Your right, inDesign is the way to go but just to correct you there is a bleed setting in the print menu of photoshop should you need it.

Advertisement