Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

home made security / alarm device

Options
  • 03-04-2012 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

Hi - not sure if this is in the correct forum so Mods please move as appropriate.

I live in an end of terrace house with an exposed back garden and was burgled recently. They didnt get into the house but got bikes and Golf clubs from the shed.

I have now installed a PIR security light and we have a house alarm so are reasonably secure.

I was looking to add an additional device that could be triggered by PIR and simply emit a 'beep' indicating to any low level burglar that he might have triggered an alarm....even a device that triggers a recording of ' the Guards have been notified' ( as the light goes on )

Can I pick up these parts easily enough...Maplins...? Am Ok with assembly but just want some tips anyone may have on assembling such a device...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

You could get a motion activated doorbell/chimer for less than €10 or €15 in any hardware store. They typically come in white casings but it wouldn't be too hard to transfer it to a black project box which you could pick up from Maplin (you could also paint or stick a security company's logo onto it).

The sound may not be what you're looking for (they tend to be "friendly" beeps) but you could replace the audio module with something better suited for your needs.

They're not complicated devices and you could make one yourself but it may be easier to hack a cheap doorbell for your needs. If you're set on constructing one from scratch then I'd imagine Maplin would have everything you need (although I'm not an electronics guy so don't quote me on that).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If you already have a sensor light you could simply use a mains relay to trigger pretty much anything you want..
    If you want something more professional GJD have a very good range of products.

Advertisement