Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nasty whiff round ardkeen

Options
  • 03-04-2012 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

awful whiff in the air round like rotten meat and smelly socks mixed together all windows has to be closed in the regional hospital this mornin, pretty strong at the moment...wheres it coming from?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

It must have been that bean I had at lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Don't know, it's horrible.

Slightly reminds me of a stinky pet shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Its the decaying smell of the city.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is the wind blowing from the north? If so its the fragrance of Anglo Irish Beef Processors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Jubo

Awful whiff by Tescos earlier. There's a new sewage plant (built last year) over near Giles' Quay and the wind direction changed today - wonder if it's that. I thought it smelt like cheesy wotsits gone bad.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

I was cycling in the New Ross road one day and the wind was blowing from AIBP into my face. I am not joking it was intolerable. The placement of a factory like this across the river from a large residential area and regional hospital is just stupid. How can they be left get away with this, I have smelt this smell all over the city at different times for years now. Surly there must be some technology that can be used to deal with the smell. If not the factory should be closed. The environmental protection agency is just a joke if you ask me and frankly Waterford people are to quite about this. We need to kick up more of a stink about it, if you pardon the pun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I was cycling in the New Ross road one day and the wind was blowing from AIBP into my face. I am not joking it was intolerable. The placement of a factory like this across the river from a large residential area and regional hospitalis just stupid. How can they be left get away with this, I have smelt this smell all over the city at different times for years now. Surly there must be some technology that can be used to deal with the smell. If not the factory should be closed. The environmental protection agency is just a joke if you ask me and frankly Waterford people are to quite about this. We need to kick up more of a stink about it, if you pardon the pun.
    Is that not the place where Clover Meats used to be? If so, it's been there for donkeys years!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

JPA wrote: »
    Don't know, it's horrible.

Slightly reminds me of a stinky pet shop.

Yes ! I got this smell EVERYWHERE today, I thought I was going mad. I was in ardkeen stores and tesco ardkeen , it was manky!

Is that not the place where Clover Meats used to be? If so, it's been there for donkeys years!!

Yes thats the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

heard 2 stories today one of cooking manky offal for processing the other was burnin the hair off animal hydes whatever it is it sure makes a noxious stink wouldnt fancy living near it at all at all...........surly they could fit some sort of a scrubber to the chimney.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

slurry spreading has started is the last few days so that probably what your smelling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

It's not the factories over in Ferrybank. There is as I understand a very active and constant monitoring of any emissions/smells from them to ensure those living near by are not forced to tolerate that. This was done many years ago following representations from locals. This also involved some kind of filtering system to prevent any smells. Only time I ever smell something in relation to the meat processing plant is if you are behind one of the trucks delivering the waste meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭decies

I was convinced there was a pungent smell in the air last week, like a burning smell,couldn't discover what it was, it turned out to be a pair of shoes I bought in clonmel.

thomasm wrote: »
    It's not the factories over in Ferrybank. There is as I understand a very active and constant monitoring of any emissions/smells from them to ensure those living near by are not forced to tolerate that. This was done many years ago following representations from locals. This also involved some kind of filtering system to prevent any smells. Only time I ever smell something in relation to the meat processing plant is if you are behind one of the trucks delivering the waste meat.

Well I would dispute that. I have smelt the same smell that I have been smelling on and off for years now within the last two weeks. It is not a sewerage or manure type smell and it is distinctive of some kind of processing of animal by-products.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭randox

I was outside Ardkeen stores yesterday and it smelled like a dirty pet shop. I live by Oskars and no smell there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

It is the old proteins plant in Christendom, smells escape now and again but nothing like it stank twenty years ago, and as a poster said the wind is northerly, less than a mile from ardkeen, would only smell over a narrow area.
    Gawd I have tooooo much time on my hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Tis alright lads its only the smell of affluence.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

Yep, think it's Waterford Proteins alright, I remember it being worse years ago though, they must have learned to leave the lid on!

Advertisement