Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

boy bullied out of school over accent?

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

mishkalucy wrote: »
    Bullying is out of control in the school system here due to the "PC" brigade and something has to be done about it.

Out of interest do you read the Daily Mail? If such a thing as the 'pc brigade' exists I'll think you'll find that they're the ones who take the initiative against issues such as bullying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

latenia wrote: »
    Out of interest do you read the Daily Mail? If such a thing as the 'pc brigade' exists I'll think you'll find that they're the ones who take the initiative against issues such as bullying.

I don't read the Daily Mail and am not sure as to why that is relevant. With regard to my comment re the PC brigade, if you read my post (and I assume you did) nobody did anything to help my child who is an "A" student and who also has a disability. The people who were protected were the kids who were allowed to behave exactly as they wanted to within the school and abuse my child on a daily basis and there were no repercussions for their actions.
    So therefore my reference to the "PC" brigade meant the people who make the rules for the school system here who say "every child is entitled to an education" even if these kids(and their parents I may add) take this as a carte blanche to allow theses kids to do whatever they damn well please and for the kids and parents at the receiving end to be left with no rights whatsoever. Wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

Does anyone here actually expect kids to be emotionally sensitive.

Kids are the most torturous and conniving beings on the planet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I think the parents have a huge responsibility. There seems to have been a change with regard to parenting. Children are being taught to be the toughest kid in school by the parents(have seen it first hand in boys and girls) and be outwardly aggressive and get the "first shot in".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭goodie2shoes

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    If the child was white then maybe the bullies saw him as a symbol of oppression.

No.
    but perhaps their parents did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Does anyone here actually expect kids to be emotionally sensitive.

Kids are the most torturous and conniving beings on the planet!

I expect them to be raised to respect others, regardless of their age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

DO NOT FEED!
    daithi1970 wrote: »
    **WARNING DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!!!**

People just can't help themselves. Top job stiffler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

hondasam wrote: »
    Yes they do, it's very similar to the English accent.

I think it's more like Australian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

Parents of a 10-year-old boy claim he has been bullied out of school due to racial taunting over his accent.
    The boy was injured and regularly reduced to tears because of bullying on the premises. He has also been subjected to cyber-bullying The family moved from South Africa to Kells, Co Meath, in 2010.

His parents took him out of the school after the board of management failed to act to deal with the incidents outside the school.

Gerry Dalton said he had now taken his son out of St Colmcille’s National School for his own protection.

The school declined to comment on the issue

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/boy-10-bullied-out-of-school-over-accent-188605.html#ixzz1qzGzSyY7

happened to my da... but like everyones da... unless they liked being molested... any slight difference or imperfection ment the christian brothers bullied the **** out of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

GaryIrv93 wrote: »
    Neither can parents constantly control their child's actions. Often however bullying is unfairly blamed on the parents (even good parents) not controlling every single thing their child does, which they can't. Even if parents bring their child up with good manners and how to treat others as how they would like to be treated, it doesn't always work. The kids, who carried out the actions in the first place should take the most blame and take most of the punishment - the parents didn't bully the victim, why should they take so much blame?

These kids are 10 years old and of course the parents should shoulder the blame. It is not about manners, as a parent you teach your child to respect other people. That is your responsibility. I have 2 kids 12 and 10 and we constantly talk about this kind of stuff. Also, kids usually mirror their parents attitudes and actions.

As for the principal he should be fired. This stuff is happening at his school and has done nothing about it. I'm not sure what the protocol is over there but in my kids school district in the US, if bullying is proven to have taken place the kid is automatically suspended a week, and the third time is expelled.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Jesus christ, he's a ten year old. A ten year old who only moved here two years: has had to deal with being uprooted, moved to a strange country and then is continually tormented and abused by the people who should be his friends. I doubt if he even considers this country home? I'm pretty sure that if I as an adult moved country and had no network of friends or familiarity with the place and then got tormented for two years, I'd be fairly hard pushed to take it on the chin.

Poor kid. Hope the parents of his tormentors are ostracised. I also hope that principal can't sleep at night. I can't imagine how traumatic this must be for the entire family.

Most of all, I hope the little sh!ts who behaved like that get a taste of their own medicine when they go to secondary school and aren't top of the scrapheap anymore. I hope they get into enough fights that they can't have kids and end up alone, so then maybe this breed of subhuman dies out. Ten is old enough to be a decent human being, they clearly don't fit that description, clearly their parents don't either. Hopefully the cycle ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    If the child was white then maybe the bullies saw him as a symbol of oppression.

Holy Jesus, now I know why you sacrificed yourself for the sins of the human kind. We are talking 10 year olds, they wouldn't even know how to spell apartheid!!!! They are simply little stupid bullies with moronic and xenophobic parents, full stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Ronnie Binge

Jesus christ, he's a ten year old. A ten year old who only moved here two years: has had to deal with being uprooted, moved to a strange country and then is continually tormented and abused by the people who should be his friends. I doubt if he even considers this country home? I'm pretty sure that if I as an adult moved country and had no network of friends or familiarity with the place and then got tormented for two years, I'd be fairly hard pushed to take it on the chin.

Poor kid. Hope the parents of his tormentors are ostracised. I also hope that principal can't sleep at night. I can't imagine how traumatic this must be for the entire family.

Most of all, I hope the little sh!ts who behaved like that get a taste of their own medicine when they go to secondary school and aren't top of the scrapheap anymore. I hope they get into enough fights that they can't have kids and end up alone, so then maybe this breed of subhuman dies out. Ten is old enough to be a decent human being, they clearly don't fit that description, clearly their parents don't either. Hopefully the cycle ends.

+1 to all that.

However, that chip on the shoulder crap about outsiders was there with a minority forty years ago in North Kildare and I'll wager that it will be here in forty years time. Children need to have legal protection that imposes sanctions on the bully and the bully's parents or guardians. Instead, the parents of bullies can shout and roar all they like with no let or hindrance from Official Ireland in this instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

FatherTed wrote: »
    These kids are 10 years old and of course the parents should shoulder the blame. It is not about manners, as a parent you teach your child to respect other people. That is your responsibility. I have 2 kids 12 and 10 and we constantly talk about this kind of stuff. Also, kids usually mirror their parents attitudes and actions.

As for the principal he should be fired. This stuff is happening at his school and has done nothing about it. I'm not sure what the protocol is over there but in my kids school district in the US, if bullying is proven to have taken place the kid is automatically suspended a week, and the third time is expelled.

You can still teach your kids good manners as much as you want, but they can still decide to treat others badly. That's completely up to the child whether they bully someone else or not. I recently watched a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLcL4AnohD0 From what I've heard the teenagers beating that fella up were actually well brought up themselves and got decent grades at their local high school. Even well brought up kids can do this kind of thing. No-one's perfect after all.

That's one of the really only effective ways to deal with bullies - kick them out. Over here if the bully gets caught they'd usually only get a reprimand, then a warning. I think it has to be serious before they can consider expelling the bully though, even in secondardy school. The worst I've ever seen was a suspension. I guess it all depends on what school it is and how much the staff including the principal personally regard bullies & bullying. Some might have absolute zero-tolerance whereas others will just shrug it off until it starts getting serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Ive already spoke about this on the bully thread, i must say i love the south African accent, and i have a very good friend who is south African i could listen to her all day....

My hear goes out to the kid and his family... I think that the cops should have more power to deal with bullies when they are tormenting someone outside school hours. they wont do anything because they are under 12 :( they should be made accountable for their actions. At 10 they know right from wrong..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 fbassey1

I sympathize with this young boy. My son was bullied at that school and I found the Principal and teacher extremely helpful. I too called the local Gardai to give the person a warning, however, this was after I approached the parents myself and all problems stopped. I know the parents are upset for their son, however, I wonder, did they approach the parents first? Also, there are other children from South Africa, Poland, Lithuania, Uk, Spain, France and Nigeria attending the school and I wonder are they having the same problem from the same bullies? It's unfortunate that when the parents set up a camera on their property that it was not on when some of the incidents happened, however, I'm sure the young son knows who these people are. When the mother of one of the children came to try to sort things out, I wonder why the parents did not want to talk to her? surely any opportunity to try to rectify the situation is worth a try? The kids who bullied this child should be taken to task, just wonder if the boys parents should have approached the parents of the bullies to let them know and give them a chance to deal with their brats while the parents went to the school to let them know. Don't know why anyone would think that a school is responsible for anything that goes on outside its remit for example at home? Hope the situation is sorted soon for the little ten year old boy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In the case of the parents of bullies, particularly racist bullies, it's often 'black cat, black kitten'.

He is white.

Where they informed of the bullying before the childs parents went to the police? "no" it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

spurious wrote: »
    In the case of the parents of bullies, particularly racist bullies, it's often 'black cat, black kitten'.

I thought the kid is white. Where's the racism?
    fbassey1 wrote: »
    Where they informed of the bullying before the childs parents went to the police? "no" it seems.

It seems the childs parents could have gone about things a little better. They seem to have gone straight to an us vs them mentality. But they can't really be blamed. They are new to the country and there is no strategy to combat bullying at all not to mention the lack of law in relation to cyber bullying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

MagicSean wrote: »
    I thought the kid is white. Where's the racism?

It seems the childs parents could have gone about things a little better. They seem to have gone straight to an us vs them mentality. But they can't really be blamed. They are new to the country and there is no strategy to combat bullying at all not to mention the lack of law in relation to cyber bullying.

Racism is the belief that inherent different traits in human racial groups justify discrimination. Emm doesn't have to be colour. Could be his accent, his culture etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    Racism is the belief that inherent different traits in human racial groups justify discrimination. Emm doesn't have to be colour. Could be his accent, his culture etc..

When you quote Wikipedia you should quote the sources too. Otherwise it's plagarism. If you had kept reading you would see that there is a difference between discrimination on the basis of race and ethnicity. Th UN see them as one but in Ireland they are considered seperately in law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

The kid was being tormented at school, the principle should have talked to the bullies parents.

Only when the bullies started attacking the house and car did the patents call the cops and rightly too they deflated the wheels on the car and egged the house. They trespassed what point is there in going to see the parents, the parents are already letting their children bully the boy at school!

At least with the cops involved the bullies can see that the situation is serious and also the parents of the bullies can see the situation is serious. That their kids are not little angles and need to cop on before they reach 12 and then can be held criminally responsible for their actions...

The father is Irish. I would imagine that common sense would inspire a mother and father to approach the parents of the child who is allegedly bullying their son to try to find out what they intend to do about it.

I agree to a certain extent, but unless the principal knows, in this case he didn't know until the parents caused a fuss without going to the parents. I'm not saying the principal is 100 per cent right, however, if my child came home to me and told me that he was being bullied, or if someone else told me my child was being bullied, I'd try to find out who the kids were first, then approach the Principal to let him know, then approach the parents myself before going to the police. Yes the little feckers should be reprimanded, but how can their parents do that if no one tells them? Also, when one of the parents approached the couple of the child who is being bullied to apologise and try to rectify the situation, I have to wonder as a mother myself, why they didn't want to talk to her? what's also really confusing, how this can happen to the same child in two different schools when there are multi national children in all schools and who don't all suffer the same way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I agree to a certain extent, but unless the principal knows, in this case he didn't know until the parents caused a fuss without going to the parents. I'm not saying the principal is 100 per cent right, however, if my child came home to me and told me that he was being bullied, or if someone else told me my child was being bullied, I'd try to find out who the kids were first, then approach the Principal to let him know, then approach the parents myself before going to the police. Yes the little feckers should be reprimanded, but how can their parents do that if no one tells them? Also, when one of the parents approached the couple of the child who is being bullied to apologise and try to rectify the situation, I have to wonder as a mother myself, why they didn't want to talk to her? what's also really confusing, how this can happen to the same child in two different schools when there are multi national children in all schools and who don't all suffer the same way.

Perhaps the non-English speaking parents have difficulty explaining the situation, so no-one in authority actually gets to know about the bullying?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No he's never met a nice South African
    And that's not bloody surprising man
    'Cause we're a bunch of ignorant loudmouths
    With no sense of humour - ha ha

How much of this is down to a cultural difference re 'slagging' ?

Advertisement