Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

E-papers and newspaper apps on iPad

• 03-04-2012 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

Has anybody signed up for the e version of any of the following titles for iPad. Irish Independent, Sunday Independent, Irish Times, Sunday Business Post.
    Any comments, good bad or indifferent?
    I'm a daily paper junkie, but I'm considering going the epaper route, so save on the clutter at home. Not sure however, if I would get the same feel, from reading the e version.

B

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I was signed up to the Irish Times epaper for awhile. I wouldn't recommend it. The app is terrible and they don't make cancelling easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

I was signed up to the Irish Times epaper for awhile. I wouldn't recommend it. The app is terrible and they don't make cancelling easy.

Same for a lot of newspaper apps. I was using the Sunday Times app, which is actually quite good, and it took me ages to figure out how to cancel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭kam3qnwvebf4jh

I find the pressreader app very good. Only has indo and times however

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

jakdublin wrote: »

Same for a lot of newspaper apps. I was using the Sunday Times app, which is actually quite good, and it took me ages to figure out how to cancel.

Same here. Had to call a UK number and listen to a very pushy lass do her utmost to make me reconsider.

Very good app though, but not enough Ireland-specific content to justify the price imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

gebbel wrote: »
    Same here. Had to call a UK number and listen to a very pushy lass do her utmost to make me reconsider.

Very good app though, but not enough Ireland-specific content to justify the price imo.

I was lucky..my credit card just expired :D
    Great app though but since I normally go to the gym early on sunday's I wasn't getting the use out of it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭Declan1

I've got the Irish Times app on the iPad and find it very good. I just pay per edition as opposed to subscribing as I don't use it every day. You end up paying the same price as if you bought the "real" paper if you pay as you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭Ur[s]uS

I find the pressreader app very good. Only has indo and times however

I'm a big fan of the Pressreader app. A subscription is about €21 per month. It allows you access through their website (from any computer) and using their apps for iOS, Android, Blackberry, OSX and Windows (you can authorise 3 tablets/phones and 3 notebooks/desktops).

The advantage of using their apps is that it allows you download the entire paper for offline reading. It's like getting a full digital copy of the paper onto your iPad.

You can check out the range of papers covered at their pressdisplay.com website. For Irish papers, it has the daily and Sunday Indo and the Irish Times. It has all the supplements, except the Gloss magazine. It has plenty of UK papers too: Guardian, Telegraph, Independent.

It looks to me like the epaper apps for Irish Times and Independent are both derived from the same pressdisplay/pressreader backbone. The main advantage of pressdisplay over the individual apps is that the app is updated more often and the subscription allows you access lots of other papers in the UK, US and further afield. The main advantage of the individual apps is that the subscription is cheaper if all you want is just the Irish Times.

The pressdisplay app has just been updated for retina display on the new iPad, so broadsheet text is quite legible without zoom. It's a treat.

The transition to e-paper was pretty comfortable in our house. The monthly subscription is pricey, but worth it for anyone that would consume more than one paper a day. If you ever have fights over who gets what paper/supplement first etc., you can have multiple people reading the same paper/supplement on different devices (whether iPad, notebook, desktop etc.). But I will say, IMHO, it's best on ~10" tablet device like iPad or Galaxy Tab.

You should demo the app to see if you like the look and feel of e-paper.

I've not had trouble with subscription cancellation, but only because I've never wanted to cancel! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

I would like the epaper to be a bit cheaper because they don't have the cost of printing a physical paper. For example the Irish Independent cost €1.90 for the real paper it would encouraging if you get the epaper for €1.60 or €1.70.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭knick_knack

Great recommendation with press reader lads. Quick question though on content. Do any of the papers or apps offer extras like mini videos or slide shows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Just got a free trial with press reader until Jan 15 - any tips for using it? Good magazines to check out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Not a newspaper but the only newsstand app I have is the loop. It's by far the best app. https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/the-loop-magazine/id641340497?mt=8

All newsstand app should aspire to be this good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

check out the New York Times app, very good.

Try and see if you can get the Education rate.

Advertisement