Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

polycarbonate Side Entrance

• 03-04-2012 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

I live in a semi detached house in Dublin.
    My plan is to concerte the floor between the house and the side wall then put polycarbonate as a roof above to make a enclosed storage area.
    The passage way is approx 6 metres long with a width of 2.5 metres.

What im wondering is what would be the best thickness of the polycarbonate for the job, it will be coming down at a angle so the rain will drip down into a gutter.

Also anyone have a clue to the price polycarbonate?
    Anyone have a any idea of what this job would cost if i got someone into do it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Gold Star Plastics have prices online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Make sure your not overhanging your neighbour with the gutter. Legally you cannot even use the dividing wall. Additionally its going to be hard to get a seal if you cannot stand on the glass.

What i would do is put the lead seal up first then push it up away and fit the glass and mastic the lead down using lead and gutter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Have a look at these products from Access Plastics, they are in Ashbourne

http://www.accessplastics.com/content/category/plastic-sheet-materials/multiwall-glazing-bars

For a lean to, you will need lead, or flashband to cover a wallplate, then the Poly, fitted to rafters as shown, then a top cap, to keep the Poly in place.
    As Joey the Lips said, you cannot use the boundary wall, or allow the rainwater to flow next door, so you will need a gutter system inside the boundary.
    As to the thickness of Poly, probably 25mm, you can walk on that if its supported properly, so for cleaning etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Paul.C

depends on your required finish. if its for light storage you could prop the lowside up on wooden stilts sunk into the polycarbonate. nail your ridge to your house and throw in a few rafters.

If your looking for polycarbonate then have a good look around, there seems to be a bit on adverts and done deal. There are a few bigger companies but the price is big too.

If its to store bikes or outdoor bits and pieces you can make a decent enough cheap seal at the joint. Lead would also have to be done first as said above. I wont repeat the b/wall issue, but will add that if you do use it then you may very well be asked to take it down

Advertisement