Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spotted my "neighbour" drink / driving. Malahide Garda "unable to do anything"..

Options
  • 03-04-2012 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I spotted my "neighbour" walking around our apartment complex drinking an open can of Budweiser at 18:00 on a Monday evening.

Although, at this time I did not know he lived on our complex, so I kept an eye on him (as he was hanging around the underground car park).

I went down to the car park to see him getting into a car and driving off (behind the wheel).

I rang Malahide Garda Station, because I thought he had maybe stolen the car.

I gave them as much detail as I could: car description, registration plate, a description of himself etc.

Anyway, half an hour goes by and I’m going out myself, when he drives back into the complex and parks the car.

I immediately rang Malahide Garda station with an update, i.e. he did not steal the car, he does live in the complex, and he is there now.

The Garda on the other end just told me: “well there’s nothing we can do about that!! We have to catch him out on the road in order to do anything!”

Is that just lazy police work?

Surely they could have “run the plates” and called on the residence to have a word?

Any thoughts on this Folks?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

oldscoil wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I spotted my "neighbour" walking around our apartment complex drinking an open can of Budweiser at 18:00 on a Monday evening.

Although, at this time I did not know he lived on our complex, so I kept an eye on him (as he was hanging around the underground car park).

I went down to the car park to see him getting into a car and driving off (behind the wheel).

I rang Malahide Garda Station, because I thought he had maybe stolen the car.

I gave them as much detail as I could: car description, registration plate, a description of himself etc.

Anyway, half an hour goes by and I’m going out myself, when he drives back into the complex and parks the car.

I immediately rang Malahide Garda station with an update, i.e. he did not steal the car, he does live in the complex, and he is there now.

The Garda on the other end just told me: “well there’s nothing we can do about that!! We have to catch him out on the road in order to do anything!”

Is that just lazy police work?

Surely they could have “run the plates” and called on the residence to have a word?

Any thoughts on this Folks?

Sipping from a can of Budweiser is drink driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Sipping from a can of Budweiser is drink driving?

Read the full f*ckin thing before you post please!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Id report him for drinking shi.te beer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Wow, you need to meditate before posting ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Great neighbourly love there.:)

• Advertisement

Nice language, Why don't you keep it for Adrian Kennedy later.

Wow, you need to meditate before posting ;)

It took me three hours to right this post, cos my boss is sitting three feet away from me... So apologies for being ...touchy.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

He may not have been over the limit? He may not have drank a full can?

LeoB wrote: »
    He may not have been over the limit? He may not have drank a full can?

True.

But thats not the issue, the Garda said he was unable to do anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

You wanted them to call to his house because you spotted him drinking a can of bud. Seriously?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

he was only sipping from a can :/ hardly falling around the place causing obstruction - kind of over reacting !

generally the guards don't ever give a sha*t, if ya ask me !
    To be honest the prob had more serious issues to be dealing with..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

True.

They have no evidence (other than your word) that he operated the vehicle under the influence of alcohol.

You also don't know whether he was over the limit or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

True.

What did you expect them to do? Call to a man's private home and arrest him for an offence that someone said he committed some time ago? Wag their finger at him? Give him a warning about an offence he may or may not have committed? I know if they called to my door with this nonsensical story I'd be telling them where to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

How are they suppose to prove it was him driving?
    It's not like he was drunk and was driving like a mad man.
    What was the Garda suppose to do?
    Drive down to his house and say "Have you been drinking and driving"
    Also you reported a stolen car with no possible reason?

Also not really a DCN thread?

More of an AH thread material especially as OP post is giving out about lazy policing while spending the last 4 hours in work writing his original post and responding to this thread while trying not to alert their boss:rolleyes:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Agreed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement