Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My US girlfriend wants to move to Ireland

Options
  • 03-04-2012 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi Guys I am looking for some answers here and I hope I can get some answers.
    I am in a relationship with a US citizen and we have been together in person and online for 6 months . We are very much in Love and She has been to Ireland twice since November 2011 and wants to live in Ireland with me. I am an Irish citizen born in Dublin but I am baffled by the Immigration rules and regulations.
    It would appear love is not enough to get her here to live with me and we are trying to find the most obvious and easy legal route to being together.
    Can anyone offer best advice without being racist to America or dumbing Ireland down as a useless place to live. I am a proud educated Irishman ....sensible informative answers most welcome.
    Thanks
    Tony (frustrated)
    p.s I am 48 and she is 55 and financially independent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Simply put, the easiest route is marriage/civil partnership. Otherwise it's a lot more complex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 tonydub99

thanks Buffy....that is a possible option for the future but again when I read the guidelines on Marriage it seems to have its own set of complications. I have read some details on De Facto relationships but I do not fully understand how that ruling works perhaps somebody can explain it and would it be relevant to our case.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

As an EU Citizen (Brit) with a US wife who went through the process (has Irish passport now back in US), my advice would be marry/establish a legal relationship before she comes to Ireland. Otherwise she will have a nightmare getting permission to remain and working without a job offer and tons of cash in the bank. Also be prepared to pay for private Health Insurance straight away.

Alternatively find her an Irish Grandparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Have a read of this thread about DeFacto relationships in Ireland in the Living Abroad forum, it has good info: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055529883

Thanks guys thats all very useful info. We've decided to go down the DE facto Route (legitimate relationship) as this gives us the best opportunity of being together without having the legal loop holes to jump through or endless pots of cash to be proven.
    We have already begun to compile our history of the relationship and she has 2 more visits planned for 2012 ....so more photos etc . Once again guys thanks for the info very helpful indeed......and as Saint Joe Duffy says "Keep the Faith".

• Advertisement

Be aware they you may also have to prove that you have the resources to keep her and pay for her Health Insurance on the basis that she does not have the right to work (she may get permission to remain but not the right to work)

edit: Saw the 'financially independent' bit. I assume she can document all that. Also be aware she will still be liable for US Taxes whilst overseas on any US income earned on investments and the like.

Thanks Mads I am hoping we have that angle covered as she is an early retiree from her job and she will be receiving her own income from her US pension which will hopefully be adequate . She will be taking separate private medical cover. She will not be in any way a burden on the state and she will be able to prove that with the relevant documentation. This is a long process and I appreciate all the input ....thank you .

Thanks for the edit Mads ...I am looking for pit falls in this process and it is good to hear of potential difficulties. She is aware of the tax deductions on her pension and we have worked out a budget based on joint incomes . Neither of us subscribe to a lavish lifestyle so the two incomes combined would be adequate to sustain a comfortable life for us both.

Good luck. Do look for that Irish granny though. Lot easier. ;)

Advertisement