Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

10 year old dutch boy and a pizza solve euro zone crisis...

• 03-04-2012 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭

An 10-year-old boy's plan to save the eurozone has been commended in a major competition that has attracted some of the world's top economists. His submission is in the link below... can someone explain it to me like i'm a ten year old or maybe a normal 10 year old ;)

i'd probably understand it if his drawing was any way decent pffft... :p

Does anyone know if this would or could even work?

http://www.policyexchange.org.uk/images/WolfsonPrize/wep%20special%20entry%20-%20jurre%20hermans.pdf

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

The obvious response

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

Nothing can save the eurozone, it is doomed, and I don't pity those countries which were foolhardy enough to join it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Clever boy. Fair play to him for trying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

should we stick our fingers in dijks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

The obvious response

Or the stupid or Irish response..:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Wait.................<takes a toke> the Government is a pizza? <phffffffffffffffffffffffffthahahahahhahaha>

I'd finger a dyke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Batsy wrote: »
    Nothing can save the eurozone, it is doomed.

MWHA HAW HAW HAW!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Nothing can save the eurozone, it is doomed, and I don't pity those countries which were foolhardy enough to join it.

Ah yes, it's only Eurozone countries that are doomed. Hows that second recession going over there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Irish politicians will read this and think , Pizza Tax great idea :)

• Advertisement

charlemont wrote: »
    Or the stupid or Irish response..:p

Call it what you will but the whole eurozone currency and debt crisis has been caused and managed by a shower of jerk offs who a) Have no idea what they are talking about and b) Have no idea how to solve or alleviate the crisis.

AH Bollix :(

davet82 wrote: »

They'll probably tax that too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Yeah England is doing top notch too :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Last year I would have agreed with you, but it is looking better ATM. There doesn't seem to be the same level of panic when another country in the zone gets another credit downgrading.

Still although confidence is growing in the currency, its a very fragile confidence.

well, thats you fcuked then mate ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

Pizza is a vegetable............ well it is in the USA!!!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭actua11

Well....It may not work

Could be a good idea though, depending on what the dutch put in the pizza?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

An 10-year-old boy's plan to save the eurozone has been commended in a major competition that has attracted some of the world's top economists. His submission is in the link below... can someone explain it to me like i'm a ten year old or maybe a normal 10 year old ;)

i'd probably understand it if his drawing was any way decent pffft... :p

http://www.policyexchange.org.uk/images/WolfsonPrize/wep%20special%20entry%20-%20jurre%20hermans.pdf

Dave82, we've been through this already. 10 year-old Dutch boys don't solve anything. You know that. Be strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 C3P0

Good idea, tax all the bollixs' in AH, there sure are plenty of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

That kid's Dad did it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

If we collect all the Euro currency currently owned by Greek people, we'd only have an 11" pizza. Sorry, but that's just not enough to pay back the debts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

10 year old dutch boy and a pizza solve euro zone crisis...

I presume you have heard of the Domino effect....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

His idea won't work because it depends on money staying in Greece. If Greece were to leave the euro, money would flee the country but wouldn't change denomination. This boys plan, or rather his fathers plan, for that reason wouldn't work. There needs to be an incentive to hold Drachma. In a currency that is about to devalue, that incentive doesn't exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

A bollix tax?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

CiaranMT wrote: »
    A bollix tax?

bah then politicians would have to pay for what they say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

:( <- Greek people

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Only if you're another dijk.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Well, my nephew is also a 10 year old Dutch boy and I didn't see him devising ingenious plans to rescue the Eurozone from its current fiscal crisis.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

it is not a bad plan get all the greeks to give up their euros and exchange them for a new drachma and then run both currencies together for a while

unfortunately the young boy did not know that all the rich people in greece moved their money to switzerland during the crisis and german investors bought all their their countries' assets when the German controlled European central bank forced the greek government to sell them off at a knock down price.

but for a young lad it was a pretty good idea :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

The best part is:
    So if a Greek man tries to keep his Euros(or bring his euros to a bank in an other country like Holland
    orn Germany) and it is discovered, he gets a penalty just as high or double as the whole amount
    in euros he tried to hide!!!

The assumption of a ten year old Dutch boy that people simply obey penal rules. It speaks volumes really about the opposite ends of the European spectrum. Dutch people would never dream of crossing a road if the little man wasn't green whereas in Greece (and here) people won't even look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Trust him to be wearing an orange top :cool:

Fair play to him. A credible idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

How in the name of god is that idea plausible. Yes, for a 10 year old it's good, but you're expecting a country to halt all form of financial transaction for god knows how long so these debts can be paid. Is everyone supposed to resort to plebeian bartering for the time being?(anyone should know that this new currency will literally have 0 value, it will practically be paper) Also, interesting how he expects millionaires and poverty stricken individuals alike to fork over "everything" to help the country, and once these debts, which in this process will most likely have inflated massively, are paid, How do we ensure everyone gets a reasonable amount back? Is everyone given back the same ratio they donated? This just puts them at a massive disadvantage to the rest of Europe, the price of goods will rise but the value of the euro as dictated by the EU will remain stable.

edit: also lol'd at expecting an annual account audit to be performed on everyone to make sure all their money is being traded in, the whole "clever part" is based on a 100% success rate in catching people withholding money which is definitely not the case.

How in the name of god is that idea plausible. Yes, for a 10 year old it's good, but you're expecting a country to halt all form of financial transaction for god knows how long so these debts can be paid. Is everyone supposed to resort to plebeian bartering for the time being?(anyone should know that this new currency will literally have 0 value, it will practically be paper) Also, interesting how he expects millionaires and poverty stricken individuals alike to fork over "everything" to help the country, and once these debts, which in this process will most likely have inflated massively, are paid, How do we ensure everyone gets a reasonable amount back? Is everyone given back the same ratio they donated? This just puts them at a massive disadvantage to the rest of Europe, the price of goods will rise but the value of the euro as dictated by the EU will remain stable.

edit: also lol'd at expecting an annual account audit to be performed on everyone to make sure all their money is being traded in, the whole "clever part" is based on a 100% success rate in catching people withholding money which is definitely not the case.

your dad soooo helped you with that post ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Someone needs to tell that Dutch kid about the free movement of capital, which happens to be one of the fundamental concepts behind the whole EU thing.

srsly78 wrote: »
    Someone needs to tell that Dutch kid about the free movement of capital,.

while holding him in a head lock and slapping him :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

For some reason, that kid actually made insanely good sense.

In fairness, for a ten-year-old he knows more about macroeconomics than Noonan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

srsly78 wrote: »
    Someone needs to tell that Dutch kid about the free movement of capital, which happens to be one of the fundamental concepts behind the whole EU thing.

Stupid 10 year olds, they never seem to take that into account in their models for tackling the Eurozone crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

Domo230 wrote: »
    Is his solution not essentially, "let's print more money"??????????

As I read it, his solution was for every citizen to give all their Euro's to the Government, who would then pay off the IMF.

Isn't that what we're doing already?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I wish I had five friends that I played with daily outside, sick life, oh to be ten again.

Advertisement