Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

There are downsides to looking this pretty

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

hondasam wrote: »
    She does not come across as insecure to me tbh, She probably had courses in self confidence and how to believe in yourself. I think she believes it, that does not mean everyone else has too.
    She probably looks in the mirror ever morning and repeats ''I am beautiful'' over and over again until she believes it.

A Cnut in other words.

She gets free **** because she's a journalist, she's deluded herself into thinking it's her looks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

She slightly above average, but not stunning. She is no way going to be the top looking woman in a room of ten women, she would be in the top 3-4. In which case its hard to see why so much envy.

But I go with a April's fool. The daily mail doing it a few days after the event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

There's now a backlash over the reaction to the article. If it wasn't in The Daily Mail i would have thought it was some kind of sh1t social experiment. When i seen the headline of the article i honestly thought it was from the Onion website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Well we don't know whether she did such a course, but if she did, it hasn't taught her very healthy habits.
    Surely confidence in a healthy form is making the best of what you have, rather than convincing yourself you're stunning (when you're not) and that those who disagree are jealous, and too many well-meaning compliments make life difficult?

It might be a stunning sociology experiment. A woman is making the point that "above average" looking women are hated, and says it on the internet, and she is hated by women on the internet.

But I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

She's 40 I think she is very nice, very few guys would say no.

I remember reading somewhere in a survey women would rather have beauty then brains. She has a bit of both.

While the Mail is the gathering place for many jealous, spiteful women, it's her attitude that's causing such ill will here, not her looks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Maybe I'm being naive here- but this craic of women hating all others that are better-looking than them purely because of their looks? Does this happen?

Now this is the kind of thing that a young Gwenyth Paltrow would have written, but wouldn't have. On the subject of Gwenny Penny, in Shallow Hal there was a stunning looking model who was made "ugly" by getting a prosthetic nose, some bad teeth, and bad skin. She was still pretty though, as bone structure is bone structure. But not beautiful.

She did say that people were friendlier on the set with the prosthetics, as if men were intimidated otherwise ( or women jealous, although she didn't say that).

Sauve wrote: »
    Maybe I'm being naive here- but this craic of women hating all others that are better-looking than them purely because of their looks? Does this happen?
    Yep, does indeed. I know girls who are amazing-looking - like Cheryl Cole, Michelle Pfeiffer territory - who are despised by some women. And they're lovely people so I can't think what the problem with them is, other than their looks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

she's pretty average looking, not horrendous but not beautiful either, she is deluded though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I reckon she screams her own names as she climaxes.

Dudess wrote: »
    Yep, does indeed. I know girls who are amazing-looking - like Cheryl Cole, Michelle Pfeiffer territory - who are despised by some women. And they're lovely people so I can't think what the problem with them is, other than their looks.

That's mad. I suppose it's never something I've come across or paid any attention to.
    It just seems so needlessly catty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

I wouldn't ride her into battle!

Now this is the kind of thing that a young Gwenyth Paltrow would have written, but wouldn't have. On the subject of Gwenny Penny, in Shallow Hal there was a stunning looking model who was made "ugly" by getting a prosthetic nose, some bad teeth, and bad skin. She was still pretty though, as bone structure is bone structure. But not beautiful.

She did say that people were friendlier on the set with the prosthetics, as if men were intimidated otherwise ( or women jealous, although she didn't say that).
    And then there's the phenomenon of getting treated with more friendliness in general when wearing (well applied) make-up versus bare-faced, pasty, hair tied back etc. I've definitely noticed this difference - from both men and women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

I think she's decent, tall and got a nice body. :)

And then there's the phenomenon of getting treated with more friendliness in general when wearing (well applied) make-up versus bare-faced, pasty, hair tied back etc. I've definitely noticed this difference - from both men and women.

I usually just get shock if I'm wearing makeup during the day :D

True- but I've always put this down to the fact that I'm feeling happier and more confident in myself after putting in a bit of effort. If I feel happier, the people I meet are going to pick up on that, smile back, yadda yadda....

except Cole is meant to be a right bitch in real life as well, I dont think looks determine your personality, I know guys who would be considered really good looking and get a lot of compliments from girls but who are really shy, and likewise guys who are good looking and know it, and therefore are cocky **** about it.

• Advertisement

True- but I've always put this down to the fact that I'm feeling happier and more confident in myself after putting in a bit of effort. If I feel happier, the people I meet are going to pick up on that, smile back, yadda yadda....
    Yeah I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just strange that there's that phenomenon, yet also hostility towards people who look well - the latter is probably reserved for really off-the-chart amazing-looking though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

That's mad. I suppose it's never something I've come across or paid any attention to.

Yep, it happens. That's the trouble with this article: some of what she's saying is true and applicable to some women. She's just presenting it in an entirely obnoxious way. But that's part of the trouble with a subject like this - it's hard to talk about it without sounding like an obnoxious, insecure twit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

everybody has their own type and some people on this thread think this particular woman is pretty but i think shes horrible looking to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭amacca

charlemont wrote: »
    She's not all that.

Indeed....she tends to grimace a lot in photos

that's not a genuine smile woman.....thats a frozen rictus...a poor imitation of a smile.....

shes o.k. , she could easily be lovable if she had a great personailty etc but after reading that article it appears as if she could have a substandard one of those..

tldr....Oi Brick...smile properly more, write less fluff filler for the mail online

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

Am I the only one who didn't find the article obnoxious.
    (I'm a decidedly average looking guy)

The first paragraph was definitely OTT but the rest of it was well reasoned.
    The piece about the boss commenting on her outfits and a work friend insulting her when her partner mentioned he liked the same song as her are down to her looks.

I find it a bit baffling that it's evoked such anger here. I've never met this woman and her life has no impact on me. Her examples are reasonable though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭armitage_skanks

She looks like Mrs Piggy, big farmers nose on her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Jeez I don't think I've ever cringed more at reading an article. She was just digging herself a bigger and bigger hole throughout the article. Reeks of arrogance and self-importance. I'm astounded how self deluded she is.

I've found a good quiz on this article

Who Said It: Samantha Brick or Derek Zoolander?

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/04/03/samantha-brick-derek-zoolander-who-said-it-quiz_n_1399053.html

:D

I'd love to hate beautiful women, particularly those beautiful women who are also the nicest people you could meet :D
    But I couldn't, and why would anyone want to hate anyone else because of how they look, it's pathetic. But I agree with dudess, it definitely does happen.

I really dislike arrogance and people thinking they are better than others though. That's what I consider ugly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

What I'm wondering is: did all those things she say happened really happen? :confused:

If they did, WTF?

If they didn't, what a sad sack to make that shít up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Dante

She's in absolute bits, I'm scarlet for her after that. I'm also fairly sure a normal human's face is not meant to be so lob-sided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

If I had a bag of mickeys etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

Yep, it happens. That's the trouble with this article: some of what she's saying is true and applicable to some women. She's just presenting it in an entirely obnoxious way. But that's part of the trouble with a subject like this - it's hard to talk about it without sounding like an obnoxious, insecure twit.

I think people are having trouble with the fact that she's objectively really average-looking. From the headline, I was expecting someone on the level of Monica Bellucci or Natalie Portman. Now they would probably randomly get given bottles of champagne. :)

But yes, it's a problem sometimes, but on the flip side you can't put every slight against you down to people envying you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

marty1985 wrote: »
    Dumb article - hard to believe it's not a windup.
    I checked the date to see if it was April 1st.
    Woman seeking attention shock horror!

krudler wrote: »

except Cole is meant to be a right bitch in real life as well, I dont think looks determine your personality, I know guys who would be considered really good looking and get a lot of compliments from girls but who are really shy, and likewise guys who are good looking and know it, and therefore are cocky **** about it.
    No I mean the girl I know has Cheryl Cole looks but not Cheryl Cole personality - the girl I know is extremely nice... yet hated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

No I mean the girl I know has Cheryl Cole looks but not Cheryl Cole personality - the girl I know is extremely nice... yet hated.

except different people have different experiences with people - my friends like me and think good things about me, but there's plenty of people that think I'm a bitch. just because you think they're nice, doesn't mean others have had such good experiences with them, and are just jealous.

except different people have different experiences with people - my friends like me and think good things about me, but there's plenty of people that think I'm a bitch. just because you think they're nice, doesn't mean others have had such good experiences with them, and are just jealous.
    Well ok if I only barely knew her, but I know her well enough to know she wouldn't harm a fly.

Well ok if I only barely knew her, but I know her well enough to know she wouldn't harm a fly.

yeah, and my best friend would say the same of me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Maybe you know each other.

if you click on her name in that link you can she the other articles she's written, absolute dross. "I use my sex appeal to get ahead at work" then shes whinging women dont like her because she's pretty?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Six months into our marriage I began to gain weight. Nothing drastic — a few pounds, ­certainly not stones — but a sign of me ­relaxing into the happy relationship I never thought I’d find. Pascal clocked it immediately. My muffin roll was duly noted and it was suggested I needed to lose it.

Bit of cheek on the husband's part, who's a bit of a porker :pac:

ha, her first marriage failed because she spent 25,000 quid on psychics, sweet jesus.

• Advertisement

yeah the more of those articles you read the more full of absolute crazy that woman is. how the hell would the captain of a plane even see her to send her a bottle of champagne? le bullsh1t!

I think that if some people think you are a bitch, and you know it, then you possibly are one at times. Your friends probably go - she is ok with me, but I understand that she is aggravating to others.

This doesn't change the fact that there are genuinely nice people out there ( and niceness is uncorrelated to looks), somebody whom nobody thinks is a bitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Her personal website is a bit weird...

http://www.samanthabrick.com/

I can't find a way to click in to the website..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Her personal website is a bit weird...

http://www.samanthabrick.com/

I can't find a way to click in to the website..

I think that's all there is to the site: she just wants people to look at her face!

The clicks work in Safari.

:confused: click on the links at the bottom.

in fairness to her, she's 40

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭quickrack

Saying "I'm pretty" stops working at about 9yrs old.
    And that ship sailed 30 yrs ago missus.....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

That's one of the funniest things I've seen so far this year.

oh and she's a writer for the Daily Mail

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I love how they put 'Good looking woman' under the first pic, clearly the editor has a sense of humour.

Advertisement