Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

There are downsides to looking this pretty

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

:confused: click on the links at the bottom.

in fairness to her, she's 40

Ooops! I didn't cop that there was a scroll required.

So. Many. Pictures. Of. Herself.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Ooops! I didn't cop that there was a scroll required.

So. Many. Pictures. Of. Herself.

That one of her "hard at work" is actually hilarious :pac:. It's like something straight out of The Onion!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

She has to be bull****ting. The head on her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Once, a well-dressed chap bought my train ticket when I was standing behind him in the queue
    Was it in one of those train stations that you can only go to one place from?
    I approached a mutual friend and discreetly enquired if I’d made a faux pas. It seems the only crime I’ve committed is not leaving the house with a bag over my head.She doesn’t like me, I discovered, because she views me as a threat. The friend pointed out she is shorter, heavier and older than me.
    I can see why they're friends :pac:
    Men think “what’s the point, she’s out of my league” and don’t ask you out.
    That's gotta be tough, so good-looking the people are afraid to ask her out, not so good looking that they're not afraid to give her flowers, champagne, wine or buy train tickets for someone they've never met. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Reminds me of that Will Farell tweet "damnit I fell asleep with my swag on and woke up this morning covered in bitches" except she's serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Elbows too pointy, 6/10 at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

bluewolf wrote: »
    what a load of deluded insecure sh!te

Overcompensating for her unhappiness would be my guess. I read the article she wrote about psychics 2 years ago and a recurring theme throughout it is her desperation to have a child. She ended her first marriage aged 33, on the advice of a psychic, because her husband didn't want to start trying for a baby right away. At the end of the article she writes about how how hard she and her second husband have been trying to have a baby since they got married and how much she spent on psychics to find out if she would conceive.

It also details how she lost her TV career, house and quite a lot of money due to her obsession with psychics. Something that can only be borne of insecurity. Happy, confident people don't rely on psychics to make their every decision for them. She seems like a deeply unhappy and dissatisfied woman.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 232 ✭✭LilyCricket

Says on her website she co created Ibiza Uncovered

Saying nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Jesus these men that buy her these gifts like champagne & flowers must be sad oul fellas with a horn for her.

She's a 4 out of 10 at best. Actually knid of ugly in one or 2 of the pics.

Absolutely quality story from a great paper though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Say what you like about the Mail, but they are ****ing clever pricks. How many views did that story get?

Would love to see their ad revenue reports.

• Advertisement

Say what you like about the Mail, but they are ****ing clever pricks. How many views did that story get?

too right, they played to their audience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Last year they surpassed the New York Times as the most popular news website in the world. They know how to get people to click on their pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

I’m not smug and I’m no flirt, yet over the years I’ve been dropped by countless friends who felt threatened if I was merely in the presence of their other halves. If their partners dared to actually talk to me, a sudden chill would descend on the room.
    GET AWAY FROM MY MAN, YOU SEDUCTRESS!!:mad:

How can any woman possibly compete with a middle-aged narsassist? HOW??

La_Brick on twitter

pretty funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

GET AWAY FROM MY MAN, YOU SEDUCTRESS!!:mad:

How can any woman possibly compete with a middle-aged narsassist? HOW??

She did say "Over the years". She's only recently middle aged.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I wonder is this woman in anyway related to Alison O Riordain ?

My thoughts exactly. Perhaps Ms Brick is Alison's UK cousin? Her website is truly cringe-worthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Dudess wrote: »
    Well ok if I only barely knew her, but I know her well enough to know she wouldn't harm a fly.

yeah, and my best friend would say the same of me...
    Nah she's really timid and gentle and quiet and shy. Sometimes you just know.

iguana wrote: »
    bluewolf wrote: »
    what a load of deluded insecure sh!te

Overcompensating for her unhappiness would be my guess. I read the article she wrote about psychics 2 years ago and a recurring theme throughout it is her desperation to have a child. She ended her first marriage aged 33, on the advice of a psychic, because her husband didn't want to start trying for a baby right away. At the end of the article she writes about how how hard she and her second husband have been trying to have a baby since they got married and how much she spent on psychics to find out if she would conceive.

It also details how she lost her TV career, house and quite a lot of money due to her obsession with psychics. Something that can only be borne of insecurity. Happy, confident people don't rely on psychics to make their every decision for them. She seems like a deeply unhappy and dissatisfied woman.
    That's actually really sad.

Wrt her being 40 - I'm surprised some people are surprised by this - she totally looks 40, if not older. Women in their 40s can still look really well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

face like a brick, amirite guys?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

so you're saying that two people can't know the same person and have different opinions of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Out of 10 I'd give her one though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Damn this bird is as deluded as the fat birds who think only ''real men'' can handle ''real women'' like them. All of them belong in the same asylum :D

so you're saying that two people can't know the same person and have different opinions of them?
    Of course they can if they're genuine opinions, but not if one is a lie. Are you saying a person can't possibly be nice enough to not be a bitch? The girls who have a problem with the girl I'm talking about don't know her that well - so if anything, they're less qualified to make a judgment call on her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Of course they can if they're genuine opinions, but not if one is a lie. Are you saying a person can't possibly be nice enough to not be a bitch? The girls who have a problem with the girl I'm talking about don't know her that well - so if anything, they're less qualified to make a judgment call on her.

you mean only if you know someone will you get to know that they're nice and genuine? you could only think they're a bitch if you don't know them that well? I would agree with that. but then, I would, because the only example I can think of is what my best friend thinks of me compared to say a boardsie that hates me, and the boardsie that hates me doesn't know me at all (and is quite the deluded), and so in that example I, of course, would agree that I'm nice, when you know me. :D

with regards to this:
    Are you saying a person can't possibly be nice enough to not be a bitch?
    anyone can be a bitch, with or without realising it. often it's a matter of choosing to be/not to be.

btw, with your shy timid friend, it does sound like it's likely the people that dislike her have a problem based on their own issues.

• Subscribers Posts: 693 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

If I had a garden full of mickeys, I wouldn't give her a look over the back wall!!

She's not from planet earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

All in all she's just another Brick in the wall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Little did she know that it was in fact her personality that was causing those nasty little ugly jealous folk to turn on her, I lold so much reading that article especially with the bit where she spews on about someone not seeing her as they were driving past because they had an issue with her beauty! ..not because they didn't see you? no? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

This has to be complete bollox, I don't believe she got any of those free things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

As a woman, [and no I'm not seething with jealousy] I don't consider her that good looking. Blondes never do it for me anyway though.

( ;) Eyes full of bi-curious lust)...I'm a brunette, bi the way...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭ihsb

As a female she is BLAH. But I see what she means. Women can be bitchy to other females, especially attractive or sexy ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

I'd say she gets all that attention because there's a fierce smell a want off her! God knows she's nothing much to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

I'm pretty sure there's a lot more to life than being really, really, ridiculously good looking. And I plan on finding out what that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

this woman crows about getting champagne and bunches of flowers from guys, a few meal tabs picked up... and this is the basis for a news article? :confused:

there are deluded women like that everywhere, that think a guy spending his pocket change on them makes them somewhat special and everyone else must be jealous because they cant listen to any more of her crap, let alone stand to be in the same room as her.

you'd have imagined though this woman would have outgrown that behaviour in her teenage years, she's a bit old for that nonsense now in fairness. perhaps the reason she never got promoted in her job is because she was seen as an immature and deluded old wagon, shows how far she's fallen when its only the daily fail will entertain her! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

She is no Mila Kunis, however if I looked as bad as her husband I would be pretty happy with myself :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

yeah, I haz that problem too, all the men and womens wants to roide me. Not for my personality though, I'm a total as$hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

See, now I feel sorry for her. She can't be all that smart to end her marriage over what a psychic says.
    Seriously guys, maybe this narcissism or some other mental health problem?

Anyway, the daily mail being the grand sh*t stirrers they are went ahead and made things worse.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2124782/The-Im-beautiful-backlash-In-yesterdays-Mail-Samantha-Brick-claimed-women-loathe-attractive-It-provoked-worldwide-internet-storm-Here-says-This-bile-just-proves-Im-right.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

See, now I feel sorry for her. She can't be all that smart to end her marriage over what a psychic says.
    Seriously guys, maybe this narcissism or some other mental health problem?

Anyway, the daily mail being the grand sh*t stirrers they are went ahead and made things worse.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2124782/The-Im-beautiful-backlash-In-yesterdays-Mail-Samantha-Brick-claimed-women-loathe-attractive-It-provoked-worldwide-internet-storm-Here-says-This-bile-just-proves-Im-right.html

Did they purposely choose really bad photos of her for the first article? I am on my phone now but she seems to look better in the pictures in the above one, considering she is 40

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭dMaN24

That lady is a few days late for the april fools, i'd say...

And a few spanners short of a full tool-set.
    Made me laugh though. I'll grant her that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Akarinn

Shes a Mutt!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

Narcissistic woman is narcissistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Perhaps we're not seeing how she really looks considering how far up her own arse she is and the inside skin is covering her head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Job well done, Daily Mail.

Yes, Samantha Brick Is Obnoxious, But the Daily Mail Is Trolling Us All

If you haven't heard (in which case you are either Helen Keller or dead), some woman named Samantha Brick wrote a million-word humble-brag in the Daily Mail about how terrifically difficult it is to go through life as a magnificent beauty. It's that same old trope you hear supermodels trot out on every late-night talk show when they're trying to sound down-to-earth—My life isn't perfect even though my body is! I can't help it that other women were born disgusting! Also I love video games! Relate to me!!!

Brick even followed that up with the second oldest trick in the please-like-me-even-though-I'm-better-than-you handbook—telling Huffington Post that she used to be a big fat ugly-duckling tomboy who got teased every day because she was basically a human pimple in a softball uniform who never stopped eating submarine sandwiches. That is, until one morning when she woke up and discovered that she was literally Cindy Crawford. And life became a new kind of hell. Yawn x infinity.

But while it's nothing we haven't heard before, Brick's Daily Mail article is stunningly annoying and embarrassingly delusional. Some examples:

If you're a woman reading this, I'd hazard that you've already formed your own opinion about me—and it won't be very flattering. For while many doors have been opened (literally) as a result of my looks, just as many have been metaphorically slammed in my face—and usually by my own sex.

I'm not smug and I'm no flirt, yet over the years I've been dropped by countless friends who felt threatened if I was merely in the presence of their other halves. If their partners dared to actually talk to me, a sudden chill would descend on the room.

From there Brick relates approximately 4,000 anecdotes about different times when ugly lady-ogres were mean to her or supposedly "discriminated against" her because of her looks. She's been passed over for promotions by "jealous" bosses, she's never been asked to be a bridesmaid, and she can't keep female friends for more than five minutes because the power of her beautiful vagina will inevitably bewitch their husbands. (Meanwhile, she can't walk down the street without men showering her in jewels, or fly on a plane without receiving free champagne compliments of the captain's boner.) At no point in the article does Brick confront Occam's razor—the idea that people might not want to work with her or talk to her or be her friend because she's an annoying dumbass and a ****ty person. Maybe? Just a thought. Or, sure. It's because you're pretty and no pretty woman has ever had a friend before.

Obnoxious, yes—on the "WAAAAAAAHHHHHH" scale, complaints like this one fall somewhere between misandry and reverse racism—but to be honest, my first reaction was pity. And not the kind of pity Brick is looking for. See, the whole thing is complicated by the seven photos of Brick and her face and her body and her hilarious French husband (hoh hoh hohhh!!!) accompanying the article. She's just...and I know I'm walking a delicate line here...not that cute. She is freakishly average. If you looked up "just some lady" in the dictionary, there'd be a picture of Samantha Brick. She's fine. She's normal. She's one of us.

So I can't help but feel like the Daily Mail is playing a trick on her.

The Daily Mail is a large-scale professional troll, and this article is troll-bait of the highest order—a master stroke of carefully orchestrated misogyny. It basically screams, "HERE, TROLLS! DON'T YOU HATE THIS AWFUL BITCH? LOOK, SHE THINKS SHE'S BETTER THAN YOU BUT SHE ISN'T EVEN PRETTY!" It begs women to go all mean-girl on her (every woman I spoke to succumbed to the temptation immediately), gives men a pass to comment on the relative value and ****ability of her body, and encourages both sexes to eviscerate, body-shame, and judge Brick with impunity because her ideas are so repellant. Like if she were prettier she would have earned the right to say such ridiculous ****.

Everyone's opinions are open to scrutiny—that's where progress comes from—but Brick's ideas (if she's even being sincere) are obnoxious independent of whether or not we think her physical appearance matches her self-perception. There is no magic attractiveness quotient that makes stupid ideas more or less acceptable. I'll criticize Samantha Brick because her ideas are offensive and divisive, thank you very much; taking her to task for her crow's feet is sexist, gross, and letting her off too easy.

It's also sad. The Daily Mail article and its backlash would be one thing if Brick was unassailable, but she's not. She elicits this feeling that's almost like a class tension—like she's punching above her weight, looking down on the rest of us normals with pretensions that she hasn't earned. For the Daily Mail to put such an obviously average woman (whose self-regard transcends confidence and becomes something close to paranoid delusion) on display like this, with crazy ideas like this, on a platform like this, feels uncomfortably close to bullying. And it makes Brick pitiable.

The trolling is working. People are going ****ing nuts. The Telegraph has fustily declared the backlash to be "worse" than the original article—and even though that's obviously silly (the article is bull**** and deserves to be called out as such), I'm sure as hell not interested in piling on at this point. It feels too much like a set-up. By giving Samantha Brick miles of rope and an extremely public tree, the Daily Mail is trying to trollify us all. It's a little peek behind the curtain at how the media deliberately pits women against women for fun and profit. **** that. Ladies, let's stop biting.
    Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

She gave me a bar :o

Think its her cockiness :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭kojack

Is there a touch of camel toe going on in the photo of her in the white jeans?

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2124782/Samantha-Brick-says-backlash-bile-yesterdays-Daily-Mail-proves-shes-right.html

Wow she's written a follow up, why does she feel the need to include so many pictures of herself in this one, she truly does love herself :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

You guys are all crazy, she's hot. I think I just became a lesbian.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭kojack

phasers wrote: »
    You guys are all crazy, she's hot. I think I just became a lesbian.

I'm no oil painting myself, but she has a face like a chewed toffee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

kojack wrote: »
    I'm no oil painting myself, but she has a face like a chewed toffee
    I'd like to chew on her toffee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

The Daily Mail is the first real internet paper. It trolls it's own readers ( it was the paper to break the right wingers are stupid story). It has banned the sites which reproduced the Daily Mail content, so we have to link there.

It sends it's own readers, and liberals, into apoplexy. And we act on that by going to the site and commenting, or reading. I have now been to that site, directed from here, 3 times in the last 2 days. First to read the article. Then to read it again( it was as bad as I thought) and then to glance at the followup today. I spent about 5 minutes in total. I may read the followup in more detail, aghast like a car crash.

And I would never buy that paper. But I have made them money in Pay Per View advertising revenue.

Somewhere in the Mail's internet back room, there is the sound of champagne being popped, and bonuses being counted. General merriment all round, I imagine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement