Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

There are downsides to looking this pretty

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

K-9 wrote: »
    Nope, people generally like confident people and people who are relatively happy with how they look. Neither extreme is attractive.

I never said self loathing was attractive, but that people who hate themselves blend in. Nobody notices them.

If the purpose of all this nastiness is to take her down a peg or two, I think if its ever going to happen, its happened.

I hope she's left alone now. She has a big head but she shouldn't get a lifetime of ridicule and abuse for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

smash wrote: »
    Or the time you choose your username.

My username is unrelated to my physical state. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

Honestly, I still have the suspicion that this article wasn't meant seriously, must be some kind of a psychological experiment, can't believe a human being can be this seriously deluded. Unless her surname banged her against her head and then it's all clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Giselle wrote: »
    If the purpose of all this nastiness is to take her down a peg or two, I think if its ever going to happen, its happened.

No it hasn't. Did you read the follow up article? It's backed up her opinion that people hate her because she's "beautiful"...

smash wrote: »
    No it hasn't. Did you read the follow up article? It's backed up her opinion that people hate her because she's "beautiful"...

Thats why I said 'if its ever going to happen...'

All the negative attention is only going to reinforce her belief in widespread jealousy, its wasted effort and will only keep her writing more and more rebuttals in which she feels increasingly more victimised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Ha haaaaa, delusional is right. I call shenanigans on at least half of her 'paid my tab/paid my ticket/paid my taxi' stories... and the other half is fantasy. Sounds like she's been watching too many episodes of PanAm. If that was really the case I know women who'd never have to put their hand in their pocket for anything but they still end up paying their own way.

Good looking enough woman and fair play for working hard to maintain it but your self-obsession is what will turn people against you, not your looks. Ugly on the inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I never said self loathing was attractive, but that people who hate themselves blend in. Nobody notices them.

I hope she's left alone now. She has a big head but she shouldn't get a lifetime of ridicule and abuse for it.

Fair enough, but there obviously is a part of her loving this too as she's back at it again. You'd think a newspaper would step in but this is the Mail and tbh, this seems to be a largely joke piece gone wrong.

The reason she gets bitchy comments from women is that she comes across as a bitch herself! And deluded on top!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Today she stated: 'While I've been shocked and hurt by the global condemnation, I have just this to say: my detractors have simply proved my point. Their level of anger only underlines that no one in this world is more reviled than a pretty woman.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2124701/Samantha-Brick-How-internet-sensation.html#ixzz1r4wegxZI

I think you are projecting your own personality onto MS Brick Giselle, or the personality of most people.

To someone like Brick, this reinforces a belief about herself she already has. People hate her because she is beautiful; evidence to the contrary, the internet telling her she is not beautiful and hating on her, is proof of her position.

She probably loves the attention.

K-9 wrote: »
    Fair enough, but there obviously is a part of her loving this too as she's back at it again. You'd think a newspaper would step in but this is the Mail and tbh, this seems to be a largely joke piece gone wrong.

Yeah, the more links they get the wronger it must seem to them. I bet there is an air of sadness and gloom over the Mail offices right now.

• Advertisement

I think you are projecting your own personality onto MS Brick Giselle, or the personality of most people.

Not sure what you mean there.
    She probably loves the attention.

Then we should stop talking about her and that'll teach her!

If she really does feel victimised, we shouldn't be kicking her while she's down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

She's not pretty. She's barely cute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

I can't stand that b0!!0ck$ - girls don't like me because I'm goodlooking.

I love having goodlooking friends. If you hang around with mingers that doesn't mean you'll get more attention you'll just get overlooked as a group and vice-versa. What you want for optimal attention is a group of really hot friends who are all quite different ie. The cute blonde, the sultry brunette, the exotic latino etc.

So she's talking out of her arse. Hot chicks travel in packs. And girls clearly hate her because she's a boring, deluded, attention seeking moron.

She's not the dog people are making he out to be, despite being deluded to the point of insanity and defo not the beauty she suspects she is. Plus she may not be photogenic so could well be very striking in real life: blonde, talled, slim, eyeballong every male in sight...

Still a nutjob though.

Not sure what you mean there.

I mean you might get upset about being called unattractive, or delusional, on the internet but she isn't. She believes what she says: people hate on her because of her beauty, and therefore claims on the internet that she is not so beautiful can only serve to reinforce her own belief in her beauty.
    If she really does feel victimised, we shouldn't be kicking her while she's down.

She doesn't feel an more victimised than normal. Her quote today said that the whole thing proved the point about how the world treats beautiful women, so she is reinforced in her self-esteem.

You know the old rule that if there's a group of girls then you talk to the ugliest one and work your way up the group to the one you want... Maybe she's getting stuff because the guys want to get into her friends?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

It's like someone auditioning on the X Factor thinking they're really superstars, getting four rejections from the judges, then telling them "You don't know what you're talking about"

Just flicking through her blog here: http://french-housewife.com/

It's like it's written by a different person. I have no idea where she got this new found sense of self importance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Is it sex and the city gone horribly wrong?
    Sorry cant remember sarah jessica parkers name in the show, and cant be arsed googling.

When will they think of the children:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

booboo88 wrote: »
    Is it sex and the city gone horribly wrong?
    Sorry cant remember sarah jessica parkers name in the show, and cant be arsed googling.

When will they think of the children:rolleyes:

Carrie Bradshaw. I'm embarrassed to know that. I've never even seen an episode of it. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

So all the people in my life who've liked me, did so because they fancied me, and all the people who've disliked me were just jealous.

It all makes sense now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

She's the kind of woman I'd want to run away from if I happened to meet her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

she has teeth like the mouth of sauron from lord of the rings!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

For the life of me I can't get this song out of my head everytime I see something about this lass. Blast from the past! :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

It made me think of this (1.05 mins in) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

I see her good looks bagged her a handsome looker of a Husband :)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Check Post of the day :D

I got post of the day :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Piece on this in the guardian...amusing, particularily when considering the difference between what people submit and what gets published.

In 2009, Laura Scott was interviewed by the paper about her decision to not have children which, she wrote, stemmed from a lack of desire for biological children. The article was changed into a ghostwritten first person piece intimating childless adults hate parents and was full of factual inaccuracies. In the piece, Scott's friend Marie calls her "selfish" for not having children. "I do not have a friend called Marie," Scott wrote on her blog.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/apr/04/samantha-brick-thrown-to-wolves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭mezdupmaiden

Aww the poor mite, a victim of jealousy and bitterness.

NOT.
    Shes got the face of the back of the bus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Thanks for that Nodin. The piece as I read it originally seemed to be from somebody who was self-deluded to the point of mental illness.

The Guardian piece makes it plain that it's the Daily Mail's editorial policy to exploit people for sales - even if that means changing the report entirely, and making it untruthful. I have never had any respect for the paper, but this amount of tampering with the truth is almost unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 232 ✭✭LilyCricket

She's going to be on This Morning, ITV at 11.10AM today

*makes popcorn*

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

she just got annihilated on ITV. They gave her a good bit of stick. But she said her thesis has been proven by getting thousands of emails from haters. Although she said her emails are 50/50 haters and supporters. (Yeah right) That women have said thank you for highlighting their plight of womenhood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭jaspertheghost

she looks like a bloody brick....the tide wouldn`t take her out..,get over yourself love the captain was probably a desperate 56 year old shrek lookalike.....jaysus cant stand these self obsessed deluded women

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Kumejima

Am I the only one on here who has a bit of sympathy for this issue. Ok, this woman may not be the best example as she's perfectly OK lookswise but not a true beauty, but the fact is that her thesis is correct - you only have to be betterlooking than the competition to earn their jealousy.

I was involved with a truly stunning woman - think Elle McPherson figure and an Eva Green face and the crap she had to put up with from other girls was unreal.
    Whether this girl is deluded or not is a side issue, but seems to have become the main issue. The real issue is that being an attractive woman has a lot of downsides

Kumejima wrote: »
    Am I the only one on here who has a bit of sympathy for this issue. Ok, this woman may not be the best example as she's perfectly OK lookswise but not a true beauty, but the fact is that her thesis is correct - you only have to be betterlooking than the competition to earn their jealousy.

I was involved with a truly stunning woman - think Elle McPherson figure and an Eva Green face and the crap she had to put up with from other girls was unreal.
    Whether this girl is deluded or not is a side issue, but seems to have become the main issue. The real issue is that being an attractive woman has a lot of downsides

I'm starting to feel sorry for her, DM trolled the bejaysus out of her really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

It has some downsides, but I think they're more than compensated by the positives.
    Complaining about being good-looking reminds me of when you hear rich people complaining that little folk don't understand how hard it can be to be rich.
    Yes, they have problems, but they have no sense of perspective on them.
    In her second article, Samantha said "there's no-one more reviled than a beautiful woman." That's quite simply one of the most stupid, self-centred things anyone could say.

Anyway, I'm glad we've heard Samantha's perspective. It's made me really appreciate how lucky I am to be average-looking. I used to take it for granted, and would sometimes actually envy beautiful people, thinking they had it easy.
    But now I see how they've suffered for so long in silence. They're so brave to do so.
    Here's a little story to show you just how good looks can negatively affect someone's life.
    This morning, I saw a beautiful woman walking towards me on the street. Filled with sympathy after reading Samantha's articles, I instinctively ran to her and hugged her.
    And do you know what she did?
    She screamed.
    That's right: this poor woman had become so used to being abused in public because of her looks, that she assumed that I was trying to hurt her somehow, even though I ran at her with a big smile on my face and gave her the tightest, most affectionate hug I could.
    She just kept on screaming, even crying for help. I shouted at her "I understand how you feel now! I'm on your side!" but she wouldn't stop and I reluctantly had to let her go and walk away.
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭Autumn Moon

Beautiful? Ehh.....No.

Massive pain in the arse? YES.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

She has only herself to blame. Plus I suspect here original article is a largely fantasy. Read the first paragraph:
    On a recent flight to New York, I was delighted when a stewardess came over and gave me a bottle of champagne.

‘This is from the captain — he wants to welcome you on board and hopes you have a great flight today,’ she explained.
    You’re probably thinking ‘what a lovely surprise’. But while it was lovely, it wasn’t a surprise. At least, not for me.
    What airline would that be? That's straight out of the TV series Pan Am. Pure fantasy.
    :rolleyes:
    The rest of the article is much the same. Plus it's the Daily Mail, that bastion of truth.

Silly woman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

The Guardian get up to a bit of troll trolling.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/apr/04/samantha-brick-hated-good-looks
    Last week I was waiting at a bus stop when an attractive younger woman reached out, touched my elbow and pointed at a pound coin lying on the ground near my foot.
    "That yours?" she asked.
    "Probably," I said. "My keys sometimes make a little hole in my pocket." She giggled nervously as we both glanced down at my slim-fit chinos. I blushed a little as I bent over, with her watching, to retrieve my money.
    You're probably thinking: "What a selfless act of random kindness!" It may have been kind, but it was hardly random. Ever since the hole appeared just after Christmas, this has been a regular, almost weekly occurrence.
    As a fit, good-looking man I'm used to women coming up and finding excuses to talk to me, to touch me. In fact, if I had a pound coin for every time it happened, well, you can do the maths. Don't forget to factor in all the pounds I would have lost if those women hadn't said anything.
    This other time, when I was caught travelling on a peak-time train with an off-peak ticket, the (female) train manager smiled and said to me: "I should charge you the full single peak rate, sir, but this time I'll just charge you the difference." My savings, in this case, amounted to nearly £12.
    It's not always about money, though. There was the lady on a flight to New York who, apropos of nothing, suddenly turned and offered me a breath mint. Just last November a woman I've never met stopped me outside a supermarket to give me a poppy. The incidents may be varied, but the reason is always the same: my exceptional outward appearance. While I admit I'm no Philip Schofield, I'm tall, slim, brooding – and very easy on the eye.
    If you're a woman reading this – or, more importantly, looking at the pictures – you will know exactly what I'm talking about: you probably feel like telling me there's a wasp near my hair, just so you can reach out and muss it up a little.
    If you're a man, on the other hand, you've doubtless already formed an opinion about me. You almost certainly find me a threat – a threat to your career, your relationship, your masculinity. It's not something many men will dare to speak publicly about, but being terribly, terribly handsome is a double-edged sword. For every female Starbucks employee who made it her business to remember my name, there was a male employer telling me to do up my top three shirt buttons in the office. I can't tell you how many male acqaintances have stopped speaking to me over the years for petty "reasons" (unpaid debts, being alleged source of unpleasant rumour, refusal to appear as character witness), when jealousy is the transparent cause. I'll probably never know how many women have been too intimidated by my looks to talk to me, but I know exactly how many men have been angered enough by my face to try to punch it.
    I don't invite the attention. I've come to dread the sarcastic, whispered comments in the gym about my physique, my chiseled jaw, my loose-hanging tank tops. At times I've found it so stressful that I've even taken steps to play down my physical beauty. I tried wearing a hoodie all day, but they wouldn't let me into Harrod's food hall, where the lady at the cheese counter sometimes gives me free samples, even though I hardly ever buy anything. More recently I decided to grow a beard, just to blend in with "normal" men. It helps a little, but there are only so many parts of a face a beard can cover. You can't grow hair on soulful, beseeching eyes, for example. Also, stuff gets caught in a beard – food, small leaves, postage stamps – which just gives women another excuse to strike up a conversation, and their jealous partners another reason to roll their eyes.
    Perhaps you're quite a good-looking bloke yourself, and have experienced a fraction of the bastardness I've encountered at the hands (and once or twice, the boots) of insecure, embittered males. Maybe you can in some small measure empathise with how difficult it is to live in a society where a man is constantly expected to look his best, but is then punished for looking better than anyone else. Is it any wonder that Piers Morgan has moved to the US?
    I know some people (men) will feel obliged to cast aspersions on my looks – believe me, I've heard it all before – but I won't apologise for the truth. I can already anticipate the global backlash my courageous honesty will generate: the nasty tweets, the threatening emails, the bad-mouthing from Jeremy Vine (it's beneath you, Jeremy, it really is). That won't stop me. I'm prepared to meet my critics face to face, on social media, to put my case. I've dug down and exposed an issue very few gorgeous men are prepared to talk about. And I intend to keep right on digging. After all, your hatred only proves my point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭secretambition

I actually believe her when she says she gets a lot of attention from men because she is fairly pretty without being intimidatingly beautiful - like supermodel or hollywood actress level. Those kind of women would often be too scary for most men to approach (in a serious, sober manner).

I can also believe that all this attention leads to jealousy from other women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I actually believe her when she says she gets a lot of attention from men because she is fairly pretty without being intimidatingly beautiful - like supermodel or hollywood actress level. Those kind of women would often be too scary for most men to approach (in a serious, sober manner).

I have some magic beans that may interest you?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭saralou2011

The reason "everyone" hates you is not because they are jealous because you are "so beautiful". it's because of you're ugly personality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭secretambition

krudler wrote: »
    I have some magic beans that may interest you?

I was being quite serious. Where does she live? If she writes for the Daily Mail, probably London? Men are a lot quicker to approach there because, in a city that big, they'll never see the woman again if they are rejected and it won't be "the talk of the town". If their mates aren't around, there's zero embarassment. I would be willing to bet that that woman gets approached on a daily basis. And she's in her 40's now. It was probably more when she was younger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Thanks for that Nodin. The piece as I read it originally seemed to be from somebody who was self-deluded to the point of mental illness.

The Guardian piece makes it plain that it's the Daily Mail's editorial policy to exploit people for sales - even if that means changing the report entirely, and making it untruthful. I have never had any respect for the paper, but this amount of tampering with the truth is almost unbelievable.

That's exactly what they do. Look at Liz Jones, week after week she writes articles that come across as simply barking. Now with Jones it really could be a case that she is mad as this has been going on for years and years and her life has fallen down around her over and over again because of it. But week after week another piece of utter lunacy is penned in her name.

I honestly think the Mail take advantage of people who are the right kind of unhinged and exploit them mercilessly. This wasn't Brick's first article for the Mail. Most of her other articles make her appear like a sad, desperate lonely woman. The articles about her use of psychics, her battle to have a child, how she destroyed her career and the way her husband objectifies her with regard to her weight. If they aren't true/are massively sensationalised most people would learn their lesson and never write for the paper again. How many people would write a nice/tongue in cheek article about their marriage, find that when it went to print it was a deadly serious account of how her husband monitors her obsessively for weight gain and will divorce her if she gains weight making her appear utterly pathetic, yet continue to write for that paper knowing that your words will be twisted to make you look nuttier and nuttier? Not many people with confidence and self-respect anyway.

The Mail use people like this, mainly women, and they make a bloody fortune off them. It's a modern day freakshow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

The publicity must have given her a raging wide on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

I agree with the first paragraph actually, I get approached by strangers quite often (not ALL the time and I don't get champagne sent to me) quite often and my friends don't who are better looking than me, some of my friends are stunners and I am defo not.

The jealousy bit is just total kack though. Women don't like her because she's manipulative, vacuous, thinks she's better than them indiscriminately and no doubt boring as f***.

I was being quite serious. Where does she live? If she writes for the Daily Mail, probably London? Men are a lot quicker to approach there because, in a city that big, they'll never see the woman again if they are rejected and it won't be "the talk of the town". If their mates aren't around, there's zero embarassment. I would be willing to bet that that woman gets approached on a daily basis. And she's in her 40's now. It was probably more when she was younger.

She lives in the middle of nowhere in France

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I wouldn't say a LOT of downsides in fairness. But yeah, very beautiful woman can experience resentment from other women. I don't think people are denying that.

Advertisement