Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

There are downsides to looking this pretty

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

She has a good body for 41 in fairness but she isnt stunning by any means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I caught a clip of her on 'this morning' and she looks a lot better on video than her pics in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

I don't think shes that bad looking! Some people here must be totally gorgeous if they can say shes really ugly.

Maybe they could post their pics and the rest of us can rate them? :D

I think it's her attitude thats the problem rather than her looks!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

For feics sake lads this woman used write for the Daily Mail. She's a journalist looking for some attention. I can't get the titter search to work right now but if you find her twitter account she states that she's an ex-TV person who is also a journo. She obviously needs some £££ to fund her new life in France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

shes not bad , a bit of camel toe and we'd be in clover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭DonQuay1

Beautiful? Ehh.....No.

Massive pain in the arse? YES.

Her follow-up article yesterday tried to insinuate that the original article was all done as a bit of social questioning. Attempting to get the bottom of beauty - sort of thing. She knew she'd be getting hate mail etc .... but it was an 'issue' that had to addressed and she's such a good 'so-called' journalist - she'd address it! I just think she was testing the water for her ego after being ignored by her 'partner' / boyfriend / man in the street that looked right through her. She was fishing for compliments to rebuild a shattered ego and reinforce her delusions that men would do anything to get her!!

:)

Personally - I'd give her a 4 / 10.

As for her capability as a journalist - 2 / 10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

I have a challenge for Miss Brick.

Submit yourself for comparison with the classical, scientific measurements of beauty. You should have no problem doing this if you are so convinced of your beauty. If you pass, you win! :)

Ms. Pingui wrote: »
    I don't think shes that bad looking! Some people here must be totally gorgeous if they can say shes really ugly.

Maybe they could post their pics and the rest of us can rate them? :D

I think it's her attitude thats the problem rather than her looks!

Yeah, she's perfectly passable but asking her responders to post their picture is pointless. They didn't write articles about how hard it is to be beautiful. Also, you don't have to be beautiful yourself to recognise beauty. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Ms. Pingui wrote: »
    Some people here must be totally gorgeous if they can say shes really ugly.

Why thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

smash wrote: »
    Why thank you.

But I haven't given you my rating yet! :D

• Advertisement

There's no need for more compliments, one is enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Originally Posted by Ms. Pingui
    Some people here must be totally gorgeous if they can say shes really ugly.

I know, I think she is minx, sexy and a ryde, I defo would and so would most men I know.

I would give her a good 8+ but not a bottle of champers, OK maybe I'de share one with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I have a challenge for Miss Brick.

Submit yourself for comparison with the classical, scientific measurements of beauty. You should have no problem doing this if you are so convinced of your beauty. If you pass, you win! :)

She should try to register for that beautiful-people-only dating website.

I tried to register. But apparently if they let me in, I would higher the standard so much, that they would have to delete most of the members who, while once were thought to be beautiful, would now be average. Pity.

throw a few of her photo up on hot or not there.

I tried to register. But apparently if they let me in, I would higher the standard so much, that they would have to delete most of the members who, while once were thought to be beautiful, would now be average. Pity.
    :( I had the same problem when i tried to register for the ugly people website.

smash wrote: »
    throw a few of her photo up on hot or not there.

That's not a bad idea, but she's so well-known now she probably wouldn't get a fair rating.

The hardships you must face... :(

I think we should have the equivalent of a slutwalk - except with everyone smartly-dressed and well-groomed, or maybe wearing Samantha Brick masks - to raise awareness of the plight of beautiful people.

It's a national disgrace that we have no facilities in this country for helping people who suffer from being ridiculously good-looking.
    Lots of public toilets don't even have mirrors for heaven's sake!

That's just crazy talk... there's a bottle of champaign and 24 roses on the way over to cheer you up.

Lulz. :D

As someone said earlier, she is better-looking in video than photos, but as I said earlier in the thread, after reading the title of the "article", I was expecting someone of Monica Bellucci standard of beauty. THAT'S the kind of beautiful that would get a free bottle of bubbly sent your way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

I'm beginning to think I'd probably munch her off

• Advertisement

• I think she does have a point. I know loads of women who dislike other women just for being pretty and/or slim. There's a gorgeous girl at work, long blonde hair, beautiful turquoise eyes, great figure. A lot of people are quite cold to her and when I ask them why, they always mention her looks. It's so unfair. But...

I genuinely can't understand why she even thinks she's pretty because to me, she's worse looking than average. She has a really unfortunate looking chin which looks even worse on video when she's talking, her features are lopsided and she doesn't have a great figure. All these things would of course be overlooked if she had a great personality, but her personality makes her even uglier.

That This Morning clip is really entertaining. The looks yer wan was giving to the psychologist and female presenter who were daring to contradict her. She's a total basket case. One of those people whose world view is so twisted that they see everything through their 'filter' instead of seeing what's really there.

Neighbour doesn't wave back.
    Normal response: Aw, she didn't see me.
    Samantha Brick response: She's jealous of my beauty.

Strange man in pub tells you you're gorgeous.
    Normal response: He's trying to get into my pants, the creep. How many people has he tried that line on tonight?
    Samantha Brick response: He's in love with me because I'm beautiful.

Friend accuses you of flirting with her husband.
    Normal response: Hmm, maybe I am a bit too touchy feely sometimes.
    Samantha Brick response: He can't help fancying me because I'm so beautiful.

Waiter smiles/winks at you.
    Normal response: He's having a good day and being friendly.
    Samantha Brick response: Ughhh, I'm just TOO BEAUTIFUL. Why won't they LEAVE ME ALONE?

It sounds insane, but I actually know a women in real life like this. She bends and distorts reality so that in fits in with what she wants to believe. She thinks everyone is in love with her when in reality, they're just being polite/friendly.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

For anyone who hasn't seen it:

While she does look a lot better in video than those photos, it must be said that I still know a lot of women who are much more beautiful than her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I really don't see what all the furore is about here.
    This story originated in the Daily Mail. Enough said, surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Proabably a publicity stunt. But could she really be so deluded as to think she's so beautiful that people resent her for her looks? I mean if I walked down any busy street in almost any city right now I'm going to see several girls who are better looking than her, and some who are far better looking. She's either a spoofer or hopelessly deluded.

While she does look a lot better in video that those photos, it must be said that I still know a lot of women who are much more beautiful than her.

She seems a bit awkward there, I think because most people would agree that the two other women with her are better-looking.
    She seemed to be giving the psychologist a few peeved looks in particular.

It's sad that it shows how stubborn she is though: you can tell from her defensive body language that on some level she knows she's wrong about women being jealous of her looks, but she's also convinced herself that she's absolutely right.

She seems a bit awkward there, I think because most people would agree that the two other women with her are better-looking.

It's sad that it shows how stubborn she is though: you can tell from her defensive body language that on some level she knows she's wrong about women being jealous of her looks, but she's also convinced herself that she's absolutely right.

I was thinking that myself actually - the psychologist in particular is much better looking, and even the hostess was a more pleasant appearance.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Jesus they really roasted her didn't they...

xzanti wrote: »
    Jesus they really roasted her didn't they...

They were fairly lax on her in fairness. The guy in particular was rather jovial about the whole affair :pac:

Besides she mostly just used the time to reiterate that she's 21 and lives in the french countryside, and condensed her entire life into a 1200 word article. She wasn't really trying to say anything else.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

They were fairly lax on her in fairness. The guy in particular was rather jovial about the whole affair :pac:

Besides she mostly just used the time to reiterate that she's 21 and lives in the french countryside, and condensed her entire life into a 1200 word article. She wasn't really trying to say anything else.

Ah the 2 girls (who ironically are considerably better looking than her imho) gave her a good going over I thought..

She didn't come out of that interview looking any better, figuratively speaking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

Did anyone else see the look of hate at 2:38?

Eye twitch and all! :D

I do feel sorry for her in a way, all right she's arrogant and deluded but she's just been used by the Daily Mail to troll us all and rake in as much cash as they can. Can you imagine being at the centre of that shítstorm?

Mind you, I still think she's a complete muppet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

While she does look a lot better in video that those photos, it must be said that I still know a lot of women who are much more beautiful than her.
    Sorry but for a woman in her 40s, she most certainly is a hotty.

I wonder if DM editors deliberately chose less flattering photos for their own giggles.

I would split that in half tbh.

Ah the 2 girls (who ironically are considerably better looking than her imho) gave her a good going over I thought..

She didn't come out of that interview looking any better, figuratively speaking.

They pointed out in a nice way that saying "You will hate me because I'm beautiful" can be perceived as arrogant. They weren't nasty IMO. They could have said much much worse. :pac:

They pointed out in a nice way that saying "You will hate me because I'm beautiful" can be perceived as arrogant. They weren't nasty IMO. They could have said much much worse. :pac:

I think the repeated "Do you think you're good looking?" questions were implicitly critical of her looks and I don't think it was a fair treatment of her. Of course she is good looking and it is already established that she thinks so, the male interviewer was just satisfying the rabid home viewers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭secretambition

She hasn't said anything that couldn't be plausibly true. The problem is that she broke the fundamental rule of social interaction that you must not praise yourself because on a subconscious level others feel threatened and need to find your flaws and lash out to prove to themselves that you're not that great. She would have received the exact same reaction if she had said others are jealous of me because I'm so intelligent/rich/talented etc. even if that was all true.

Put aside the debate about whether this woman is good-looking for a second and consider a genuinely, indisputably talented world famous singer. They could say "I am talented and others are jealous of me because of it" and that would be completely true. All celebrities receive a strong element of criticism out of jealousy. But they never say that as their PR people have them well versed in the "I feel so blessed ..." line instead to avoid hateful backlash and a popularity nosedive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Davidson2k9

The psychologist is better looking than her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

She's not all that.

I would knock the arse off her, I suppose long term that would be a problem to her long term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

I'd have slipped her one in my single days but I've had better. If she thinks she is so good looking then why put such effort into all that make-up and why colour over and hide those inevitable middle age grey hairs ? This whole story is just a sign of how empty headed and unproductive civilization has become.

• later12 wrote: »
    Sorry but for a woman in her 40s, she most certainly is a hotty.

I wonder if DM editors deliberately chose less flattering photos for their own giggles.

I would split that in half tbh.

No, she isn't a hotty by any stretch of the imagination. 40 isn't old at all. My aunt is 47 and absolutely gorgeous, looks about 30, lovely face, perfect skin, has a great figure so can wear skinny jeans and not look stupid. A hundred times more beautiful than this silly woman with her frumpy clothes and awkward poses. And the best part is that my aunt is one of the most unassuming, modest people I've ever met. Perhaps I have high standards but I don't even consider Samantha Brick as attractive as the average person. She has a face full of make-up in both the pictures and the TV interview and still manages to look worse than the other two women who are with her, one of whom is obviously well past 40. The woman is seriously deluded and needs psychiatric help. Although I'm not sure any psychiatrist could get through to her - she'd just write them off as being jealous 'haters' like she did with the one in the interview.

My aunt is 47 and absolutely gorgeous, looks about 30, lovely face, perfect skin, has a great figure so can wear skinny jeans and not look stupid. A hundred times more beautiful than this silly woman with her frumpy clothes and awkward poses. And the best part is that my aunt is one of the most unassuming, modest people I've ever met.
    Ok, ok!

I'll bang your aunt instead.

PM sent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I don't think they did. If anyone really wanted to give her a going over all they would have to do is read her a few examples of the posts a lot of men are making about her. There is a lot of nastiness about her looks out there (and on this thread) about her and a lot of fairer comments about how she is an average looking woman who makes the best of herself. And both of those type of comments would burst her bubble fast if she was forced to confront them. The fact that neither the presenters nor the psychologist even mentioned those comments shows that they were holding back massively.

In fact at about 4 minutes in when the psychologist mentions reading what she had read posted by men (not referring to comments on her looks) you can see that Brick gets extremely worried that she is about to be here some of those less than flattering comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

she broke the fundamental rule of social interaction that you must not praise yourself

Well you almost have it, but not quite. Her mistake wasn't praising herself, what she did wrong was whine self pityingly and cast delusional dispersions on others.

Saying "I am really good at football" isn't 'breaking the fundamental rule of social interaction' but saying "you people are displaying massive personality flaws purely because I am really good at football and you all can't take that" may be.

In other words;
    It's not what you do, it's the way that you do it, darling.

strobe wrote: »
    Well you almost have it, but not quite. Her mistake wasn't praising herself, what she did wrong was whine self pityingly and cast delusional dispersions on others.

Saying "I am really good at football" isn't 'breaking the fundamental rule of social interaction' but saying "you people are displaying massive personality flaws purely because I am really good at football and you all can't take that" may be.

In other words;
    It's not what you do, it's the way that you do it, darling.

Saying "I am really good at football" will get you backlash, probably not to your face immediately, but they'll be watching your performance studiously for errors next time you play. Highlighting the jealousy of others will of course annoy them, but I mentioned that in my post in the celebrity example.

What is wrong with anyone delusion or otherwise thinking they are beautiful.

There is the other extreme you have beautiful people not thinking they are beautiful enough or even ugly.

I ask all the lets call them less complementing comments would you say them to her face.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

44leto wrote: »
    What is wrong with anyone delusion or otherwise thinking they are beautiful.

There is the other extreme you have beautiful people not thinking they are beautiful enough or even ugly.

I ask all the lets call them less complementing comments would you say them to her face.

There's nothing wrong with thinking you're beautiful. At all. Ascribing other people's reactions to you, positive or negative, to your beauty is problematic. If people keep reacting negatively to you, whether you're beautiful or not, it may be time to ask yourself why.

Saying "I am really good at football" will get you backlash, probably not to your face immediately, but they'll be watching your performance studiously for errors next time you play. Highlighting the jealousy of others will of course annoy them, but I mentioned that in my post in the celebrity example.

Yes but you are missing my point entirely. It's not the fact that she praised herself, it is how she went about it. Yes saying you are amazing at football will have people watch your future performance for errors but it would be saying "Ohhh Lordy, poor me, I am so great at football and everyone is so so jealous because they are not as good at football as me and this is the only explanation for anyone possibly having any problem with me in any way or anything ever not going my way purple monkey dishwasher eleventy!!!" that will get you 'backlash'.

strobe wrote: »
    Yes but you are missing my point entirely. It's not the fact that she praised herself, it is how she went about it. Yes saying you are amazing at football will have people watch your future performance for errors but it would be saying "Ohhh Lordy, poor me, I am so great at football and everyone is so so jealous because they are not as good at football as me and this is the only explanation for anyone possibly having any problem with me in any way or anything ever not going my way purple monkey dishwasher eleventy!!!" that will get you 'backlash'.

I disagree. I think doing both things - praising yourself and highlighting the insecurities of others will get you backlash. In both situations you are making others feel insecure. Praising yourself might not be perceived as quite as threatening by the other person as directly calling them jealous, not as good etc., so they might not call you on it, but you can be sure as hell they're bitching about you for it all the same, which I would consider backlash. If you praise yourself often enough, they will call you on it.

My point is I believe what she said in the original article is true. She gets a lot of attention from men because of her looks and this makes other women jealous. She didn't say every woman in the world. Her decision to articulate both of these aspects resulted in backlash.

Millicent wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with thinking you're beautiful. At all. Ascribing other people's reactions to you, positive or negative, to your beauty is problematic. If people keep reacting negatively to you, whether you're beautiful or not, it may be time to ask yourself why.

So that is her worth is it, other peoples reactions to how she feels about herself.

Not usually the post I would expect from you. So a woman's inner worth depends on others reactions and that would be mainly men.

44leto wrote: »
    So that is her worth is it, other peoples reactions to how she feels about herself.

Not usually the post I would expect from you. So a woman's inner worth depends on others reactions and that would be mainly men.
    The point is surely that if people react adversely to you, and that makes you unhappy, well passing it off as jealousy is probably very unlikely to enlarge your happiness. You're making a false association that is ultimately un-productive.

I don't think Millicent was saying anything about intrinsic self worth.

I disagree. I think doing both things - praising yourself and highlighting the insecurities of others will get you backlash. In both situations you are making others feel insecure. Praising yourself might not be perceived as quite as threatening by the other person as directly calling them jealous, not as good etc., so they might not call you on it, but you can be sure as hell they're bitching about you for it all the same, which I would consider backlash. If you praise yourself often enough, they will call you on it.

My point is I believe what she said in the original article is true. She gets a lot of attention from men because of her looks and this makes other women jealous. She didn't say every woman in the world. Her decision to articulate both of these aspects resulted in backlash.

Well you're still not getting what I'm saying so I'll just leave it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement