Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

There are downsides to looking this pretty

12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭mackmuffin

Just watched it, talk about back tracking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

mackmuffin wrote: »
    Just watched it, talk about back tracking.

Yes, she knew they were all against her... some of the looks were brilliant...

She is an attractive woman, but seriously, if it is true that the examples she mentioned are of men paying for things spread over her whole life, well, it is hardly anything to be raving about.

Most woman that get to 41 could rattle off examples of times men have bought them something/said they looked great/let them take a taxi/whatever....

I think her personality stinks and this 'I am better than you all' attitude is why women find her irritating, not because they are afraid their husbands would risk their marriages to be with her.

She ain't all that.... but sure, if she wants to believe she is and that is why women dislike her, let her off... DELUDED :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

iguana wrote: »
    I don't think they did. If anyone really wanted to give her a going over all they would have to do is read her a few examples of the posts a lot of men are making about her. There is a lot of nastiness about her looks out there (and on this thread) about her and a lot of fairer comments about how she is an average looking woman who makes the best of herself. And both of those type of comments would burst her bubble fast if she was forced to confront them. The fact that neither the presenters nor the psychologist even mentioned those comments shows that they were holding back massively.

In fact at about 4 minutes in when the psychologist mentions reading what she had read posted by men (not referring to comments on her looks) you can see that Brick gets extremely worried that she is about to be here some of those less than flattering comments.

This is a really good point. Why has Brick seemingly ignored all the comments made by menfolk? It's like she has mentally filtered and removed them. After all, men are the ones who are supposed to be fawning over her, so it must be unsettling to hear less flattering comments from this contingent!
    Because for her, it is, as Al Gore might put it, an inconvenient truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 marsbars11

She does come across as extremely arrogant and full of herself, ill say that, but you have to admit that she is above average looking for her age , she may be no stunner but she is pretty, i just dont understand why people are saying that she is an average looking woman who makes the most of her looks, dont most women make the most of their looks? She is full of herself but you have to admit she above average looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

marsbars11 wrote: »
    She does come across as extremely arrogant and full of herself, ill say that, but you have to admit that she is above average looking for her age , she may be no stunner but she is pretty, i just dont understand why people are saying that she is an average looking woman who makes the most of her looks, dont most women make the most of their looks? She is full of herself but you have to admit she is a little bit above average looking for her age.

What do you think most 41 year olds look like? Old crones? :pac: 41 is still relatively young, if she was in her mid-50s you'd have a point.

What do you think most 41 year olds look like? Old crones? :pac: 41 is still relatively young, if she was in her mid-50s you'd have a point.
    I never said that 41 was old, i just said she looked well for her age, after all you cant expect to compare someone in their 40s lookwise with someone in their 20s, thats what i meant,that is my opinion.

She does come across as extremely arrogant and full of herself, ill say that, but you have to admit that she is above average looking for her age , she may be no stunner but she is pretty, i just dont understand why people are saying that she is an average looking woman who makes the most of her looks, dont most women make the most of their looks? She is full of herself but you have to admit she is a little bit above average looking for her age.

I know, it's gas. Some right kiddies here!
    Lots of the women they fantasise about or want to look like are 40ish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

She is prettier in that clip than in some of her photographs, there is a picture in today's mail that is not very flattering imo.
    The psychologist appeared to be hostile and a bit aggressive towards her imo, the female presenter was a little as well. Eamon Holmes treated her different, probably felt a little sorry for her I think.
    She did not come across as confident as I thought she would but it was a short interview or I only seen that clip.

Dudess wrote: »
    Actually im female myself, and you sound very bitter, i just said that i agreed that she is above average looking. what is so wrong with that? I agree that she does come across as very arrogant and full of herself though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

This is a really good point. Why has Brick seemingly ignored all the comments made by menfolk? It's like she has mentally filtered and removed them. After all, men are the ones who are supposed to be fawning over her, so it must be unsettling to hear less flattering comments from this contingent!
    There is a great Seamus Heaney poem about 'cutting people down', (un)fortunately I can't find it right now .

Don't think that men are not as capable of this as women.

Sorry but this woman is definitely very attractive. I don't think that deserves any serious doubt. Nor does it really matter. And while I do think that Samantha Brick's comments could be construed as being critical of women, I think there is also an element of 'Oh she thinks she's attractive does she? We'll see about that!' about the media & online reaction to her article.

In other words, both sides are overstating their cases in a way that is unfair to the other.

• Advertisement

Actually im female myself, and you sound very bitter, i just said that i agreed that she is above average looking. what is so wrong with that? I agree that she does come across as very arrogant and full of herself though.
    Doesn't seem to take much for a person to be bitter in your eyes! :pac:
    I didn't assume you're male, and you and others said she looks attractive "for her age" - but she totally looks her age, and it's not unusual for women of that age and older to look well. People have it in their heads it's ancient - usually very young people.

I agree she's a fairly nice looking woman and has a lovely figure, but objectively, she is not utterly gorgeous - yet she has herself convinced she is, and is making a fool of herself.

:pac:
    and you and others said she looks attractive "for her age" - but she totally looks her age,

When i say she looks well for her age, i dont mean that she looks younger than she is or that 41 is "0ld", i just meant that in fairness you cant expect to compare someone their 40s lookswise to someone in their 20s:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

krudler wrote: »
    ha, her first marriage failed because she spent 25,000 quid on psychics, sweet jesus.
    They must have seen her coming.

:pac:
    and you and others said she looks attractive "for her age" - but she totally looks her age,

When i say she looks well for her age, i dont mean that she looks younger than she is or that 41 is "0ld", i just meant that in fairness you cant expect to compare someone their 40s lookswise to someone in their 20s:)

LOL that hole is getting bigger.
    Some women who are 40 look better than women in their 20s. Not all younger women look good. I don't think she looks her age in some of the pics but then she looks older in other ones. It's down to hair, make up, clothes etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

I think shes right
    I have a great urge to give her something!

I thought she looked older on tv than she does in the pictures but I also thought she looked more attractive on tv than in the pictures and I suspect that if you saw her doing something where she is happy and confident, which she plainly wasn't on This Morning, she would probably look better again.

I also strongly suspect that whoever edited her Mail articles picked the least attractive pictures of her. All you have to do is look at the stills they chose from the This Morning appearance to see that they aren't that interested in promoting her at her best looking.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2125464/Samantha-Brick-defends-Daily-Mail-article-Twitter-storm-This-Morning.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

They must have seen her coming.

Good one. :)

i just meant that in fairness you cant expect to compare someone their 40s lookswise to someone in their 20s:)

Really? Compare 52 year old Nigella Lawson to 27 year old Jenny Teague (she's the one holding the baby, the girl in the striped top is 15).

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/04/02/article-0-126FAC21000005DC-873_634x523.jpg

I thought she looked older on tv than she does in the pictures but I also thought she looked more attractive on tv than in the pictures and I suspect that if you saw her doing something where she is happy and confident, which she plainly wasn't on This Morning, she would probably look better again.

I also strongly suspect that whoever edited her Mail articles picked the least attractive pictures of her. All you have to do is look at the stills they chose from the This Morning appearance to see that they aren't that interested in promoting her at her best looking.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2125464/Samantha-Brick-defends-Daily-Mail-article-Twitter-storm-This-Morning.html

She looks her age in the stills, it obvious they wanted to make her look her age. I still think she has a very pretty face. I seen other pics of her and she looks good.

• Advertisement

hondasam wrote: »
    She looks her age in the stills, it obvious they wanted to make her look her age.

She looks a lot older than her age in the stills, especially that second one, I'd have guessed mid-50s+ looking at it. They really chose awful pictures of her in that article, the Mail are happy for her to be held up for ridicule as the more ludicrous she appears, the more money they make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

She looks a lot older than her age in the stills, especially that second one, I'd have guessed mid-50s+ looking at it. They really chose awful pictures of her in that article, the Mail are happy for her to be held up for ridicule as they more ludicrous she appears, the more money they make.

Totally, you can jsut imagine the DM... 'no. use this one, it shows off all her crow's feet' :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

later12 wrote: »
    There is a great Seamus Heaney poem about 'cutting people down', (un)fortunately I can't find it right now .

Don't think that men are not as capable of this as women.

Sorry but this woman is definitely very attractive. I don't think that deserves any serious doubt. Nor does it really matter. And while I do think that Samantha Brick's comments could be construed as being critical of women, I think there is also an element of 'Oh she thinks she's attractive does she? We'll see about that!' about the media & online reaction to her article.

In other words, both sides are overstating their cases in a way that is unfair to the other.

what? because you say shes attractive thats the case? looks are subjective and because you and a few others here say shes good looking doesnt mean everybody feels the same. i think shes on the wrong side of average to put it in the nicest possible way

hondasam wrote: »

LOL that hole is getting bigger.
    Some women who are 40 look better than women in their 20s. Not all younger women look good. I don't think she looks her age in some of the pics but then she looks older in other ones. It's down to hair, make up, clothes etc.

I agree with you, lots of women in their 30s and 40s can look better than women in their 20s and some women can look better in their 40s than when they were in their 20s, but still that's not always the case so i still feel like im being unfair if i were to compare the looks of someone in their 20s with that of someone in their 40s, i think it just seems unfair, maybe im wrong in thinking that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭SeanW

I wasn't aware of the whole Samantha Brick story until I read about it here, but apparently it's quite the story, at least in the U.K. Why this qualifies as news, I have no idea, but then again, I have no idea why a lot of what qualifies as news does so.

But what I also did not know, was that the whole thing was planned by men who are part of some ill-defined "male hegemony."

Harriet Walker: Roll up, roll up, the Samantha Brick saga shows that woman-baiting is back in fashion
    Samantha Brick is a puppet for a male hegemony that derives its power from the myth that women don't like each other.

Oh dear, it seems we men really are responsible for every evil in the world ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

SeanW wrote: »

Oh dear, it seems we men really are responsible for every evil in the world ...

Now now. Just because ONE woman says so doesn't mean all women think the same. Not that you'd ever imply such a ridiculous generalisation, right? :)

Samantha Brick is the author of her own destruction, quite literally. No one else, of either gender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 izeult

Very true Giselle, well she and the Daily mail for giving her a platform. I've plenty of gorgeous attractive female friends and hand on heart, I don't hate them for it.

Mrs Brick is attractive but moderately so IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

She's not exactly like Kate Upton.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

sonic85 wrote: »
    what? because you say shes attractive thats the case?
    Yes. I am Celia Holman Lee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

I love my brick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

later12 wrote: »
    Yes. I am Celia Holman Lee.

really? thats a stroke of luck - i need some style advice! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭trollin trollin trollin

Wonder how many here would lay the brick?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 232 ✭✭LilyCricket

Someone described her today as having a nose made out of play dough

Which did make me laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mished

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

She's going to be on the Late Late Show tomorrow night :rolleyes:

http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/samantha-brick-to-appear-on-late-late-show-415023-Apr2012/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/samantha-brick-to-appear-on-late-late-show-415023-Apr2012/

So we have the state broadcaster's flagship show giving this airtime?
    Jumping the Shark indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

i thought she is long gone by now ... had her 15 mins of fame, bye bye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Tis a sad day indeed when having her on actually represents a step-up for the Late Late Show, after yer one Giggs' appearance. Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭DonQuay1

Fortunately - I don't watch that particular brand of RTE tripe. Which means I missed her and her self-riotious (mis-spelling intended!) opinion of what she perceives to be beauty.
    She's now milking her 15 mins for all it's worth like a proper 'hack'ette rather than a journalist. I'm sure she'll have some further way of keeping herself in the spotlight in the near future ..... but I doubt that I'll care. If you've seen one attention seeker with an inflated ego that blows nonsense incessantly to inflate their wallet - you've seen them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

some nashers on her!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I am looking forward to her ghost written autobiography.

"My struggle with my beauty" it should be a bestseller, in truth I have never read a celebrity angiography, never, but I have seen worse titles by more obscure celebrities.

I could never understand why someone would buy an autobiography that was written by a ghost writer, how is that an autobiography. To be pedantic it is an "authorised biography" written by _____(ghost writers name).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

"Women are such bitches to each other" - always makes me lol when a woman says this. You could have a point there love! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

she's not that pretty. or maybe I'm just traumatized by my experience in Ireland of blondes concealing a dirty little ginger secret. Great lengths, they do go to. At least I know a black is black and a Filipino is filipino

Advertisement