Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hedge ideas for wet ground

Options
  • 03-04-2012 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

just wondering,( i'm probably too late now to bare root plant) looking for ideas for a hedge/hedge effect for part of my back lawn that is very wet in winter...soggy almost. it dries a little as the seasons go on. there are some river birch in it that are doing well.
    i have hornbeam in another area of the garden that is as wet and its doing really well

i was thinking of dogwoods as i love their vibrant colours in winter, but my husband thinks they look too 'dual carriageway' if you know what i mean

any ideas? thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

just wondering,( i'm probably too late now to bare root plant) looking for ideas for a hedge/hedge effect for part of my back lawn that is very wet in winter...soggy almost. it dries a little as the seasons go on. there are some river birch in it that are doing well.
    i have hornbeam in another area of the garden that is as wet and its doing really well

i was thinking of dogwoods as i love their vibrant colours in winter, but my husband thinks they look too 'dual carriageway' if you know what i mean

any ideas? thanks

We planted a load of bare root hornbeams on the 1st weekend of May last year.Pruned them back a fair bit the second they were planted.

They had allready leafed out when we got them,but Im glad to say that they absolutely flew with regards growth.

We just planted another load of hornbeams 2 weeksa ago,and they are leafing out allready.North facing front garden and very windy/exposed site too.

You cant go wrong with the hornbeam,its a beautifull hedge and very very hardy too,in my opinion.:)

You will have to prune dogwood right back down to the ground each winter,in order to get new red shots and stems growing up.

Otherwize it will lose its vibrant red colour as time goes by and the dogwood gets older..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

I'd recommend the Hornbeam aswell. Grows well in poor soil, and should be ok in the wet too. Red Dogwoods are nice too, and there are variegated leafed ones and black stems ones too.. (Cornus Alba Kesselringii and Cornus Alba Elegantissima) but rather than cut back all the stems each year, cut back some each year, that way you would keep the young growth.

I only put some barerooted ones down last week, from Futureforests.

Advertisement