Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baytril

• 03-04-2012 4:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know can you get Baytril in pet shop, without a prescription?
    I've gotten it before from a vet, but don't want to have to pay to see a vet to get some.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

No you cant buy Baytril over the counter, its a medicine and can only be prescribed by vets im afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

andreac wrote: »
    No you cant buy Baytril over the counter, its a medicine and can only be prescribed by vets im afraid.
    I was afraid of that.
    Oh well, thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Does anyone know can you get Baytril in pet shop, without a prescription?
    I've gotten it before from a vet, but don't want to have to pay to see a vet to get some.

You cannot get Baytril without a veterinary prescription. You will not be able to get it in a pet store.

Often, if it is a repeat prescription you will not need to pay for a consultation from the vet. It's worth ringing them to see if that is the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

Hell no.
    Baytril is a prescription only medicine.

Its also a high level antibiotic thats regularily used in human medicine so vets are ment to be prudent in its use to prevent resistance building(mrsa style) in animals that could transfer to people.
    That means that any pharmacist who gave them out without a prescription would be at risk of losing their license.
    If your dog is ill enough to need more Baytil you need to see your vet. It would not be a common repeat prescription.
    What is the problem? If your dog isn't responding to baytil she might also need a change in her treatment plan or a longer dose....

Aru wrote: »
    Hell no.
    Baytril is a prescription only medicine.

Its also a high level antibiotic thats regularily used in human medicine so vets are ment to be prudent in its use to prevent resistance building(mrsa style) in animals that could transfer to people.
    That means that any pharmacist who gave them out without a prescription would be at risk of losing their license.
    If your dog is ill enough to need more Baytil you need to see your vet. It would not be a common repeat prescription.
    What is the problem? If your dog isn't responding to baytil she might also need a change in her treatment plan or a longer dose....
    It's not for a dog, it's for a pheasant with an eye infection. I have enough to last the week, but was just hoping I could pick up some more easily.

If it hasn't cleared up by the end of the week, I'll try get her to a vet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

OP is you have already been to the vets and they already gave you the baytril and it hasn't cleared up just pop in and let them know they might give you a bit more usually with bird 5 days ish is normal enough when it comes to antibiotics but for a bad infection 7 to 10 days perhaps? (Although double check that). Really depends on the infection. Eyes are tricky with birds did they not give you an eye ointment antibiotic. You deffo shouldn't be charged second time around if what they gave you hasn't worked, only charged for the actual product. At least that's how it is in a lot of vets.

If possible put the pheasant on a pro biotic maybe something like avi pro birds don't do well on antibiotics long term so keep an ear out for the birds breathing which on the medication.

OP is you have already been to the vets and they already gave you the baytril and it hasn't cleared up just pop in and let them know they might give you a bit more usually with bird 5 days ish is normal enough when it comes to antibiotics but for a bad infection 7 to 10 days perhaps? (Although double check that). Really depends on the infection. Eyes are tricky with birds did they not give you an eye ointment antibiotic. You deffo shouldn't be charged second time around if what they gave you hasn't worked, only charged for the actual product. At least that's how it is in a lot of vets.

If possible put the pheasant on a pro biotic maybe something like avi pro birds don't do well on antibiotics long term so keep an ear out for the birds breathing which on the medication.
    I had the Baytril left over from a previous sick bird that died, so the vet hasn't seen this bird yet.
    The infection seems to be more around the eye than the eye itself. So if it doesn't start to improve, I'll bring her in regardless.

If it had started to clear up, I was gonna try get some more Baytril is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Babz182

If you get a prescription from your vet, you can get bigger packs from entirelypets.com delivered, but it does cost a lot. I get baytril for my rats when they're sick, and because I have so many and they charge exotic for examining them, it was cheaper in the long run for me to order the bigger bottle of baytril online.

Advertisement