Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NGB Speed Achievable

Options
  • 03-04-2012 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

Hello,

I'm on NGB 8MB standard bundle, independent line tests show it 'should' support 7MB / 10MB on the pairs but I never get over 5.4mb either wired or wireless.

1873130683.png

I have tried the modem in master socket, with phone, without phone. Filters are new and PC is very happy.

Is it just a fact of life that 8MB is only available if living very very close to exchange?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

"Should" and getting it are two very different things. Al the bb providers are the same. You will very rarely achieve what your line can take. All the providers also cover themselves by saying "...up to x mbs...":(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭LifeBeginsAt40

"Should" and getting it are two very different things. Al the bb providers are the same. You will very rarely achieve what your line can take. All the providers also cover themselves by saying "...up to x mbs...":(

Yep, was with UPC, got 21MB paid for 25MB, but at those speeds I wasn't so bothered!

Just wondered as the line test shows 7MB is achievable why it isn't closer to that figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Hello,

I'm on NGB 8MB standard bundle, independent line tests show it 'should' support 7MB / 10MB on the pairs but I never get over 5.4mb either wired or wireless.

1873130683.png

I have tried the modem in master socket, with phone, without phone. Filters are new and PC is very happy.

Is it just a fact of life that 8MB is only available if living very very close to exchange?

Hi LifeBeginsAt40,

Thanks for your post.

Your broadband speed is slightly lower than the normal expected broadband speed for 7Mb. The broadband speed will be dependent what your broadband is setup on. It will also be dependent on your computer(s) and what programme(s) are running on your local area network.

Try the following quick broadband checks. Remember to use just one computer when testing your speed and shut down all other devices if possible. Connect your PC over Ethernet, as this will rule out any local wireless issue. Don't use any Adsl Splitter when plugging your modem into your master phone socket. The following Broadband Checklist will guide you on how to do this.

http://bit.ly/BBChecks

When checking your broadband speed, try to disable your anti-virus, firewall(s) and any other applications that are currently running in the back ground on your PC. Sometimes these programmes are difficult to exit from and may impact on your broadband bandwidth.

You should also test your PC for established TCP/ip and UDP sessions, currently open, established or listening. This will give Tech Support an idea of what connections are on your PC. If you're not sure how to do this, just give Technical Support a call and they will be able to do this quickly.

As mentioned, *NGB is up to 8Mb, dependent on what your broadband line pre-qualifies for. For example, if your broadband was setup on 7MB, NGB, then your average expected broadband speed would be approximately 5.6Mb - 6.3Mb.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Let me know if I can advise you further.

Best wishes,
    Ant

Advertisement