Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sheep for the Girlfriends birthday.

• 03-04-2012 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Its the girlfriends birthday in a few weeks and she is mad in to having her own flock. I was thinking of getting her 10 hoggets for the birthday.

My questions are,

1. Will she go mad, I think its a good present.
    2. What breed, I was thinking of texel or suffolk cross
    3. How much should I pay per hogget, prices are all over the place on done deal. I was hoping to get out under a grand for ten.

All help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

you won't get 10 for a grand.

And to keep only a few is a waste of time.

Go big or don't bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

My wife would kill me if I bought her a sheep. However eating the said sheep would be the best gift of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

I'd go for it! Only you know your missus.
    But I would also have a second present lined up in case she does go mad! Dinner, with lamb as main course :-), chocolates etc - can't go wrong with them.

I suppose you then have to consider:
    getting a ram or possibly letting them run with a neighbours at breeding time,
    getting up at night at breeding time to check on them
    having a shed etc to house them at breeding time

We used to have sheep but not anymore - I am sure others on here will have many more considerations but I always remember there was a lot more work to them than I originally thought.

And at the end of the day if you do buy them and she/you think that was a bit of a crazy idea, bring them to the mart the next week and you'll get your money back (as long as you did not pay crazy money for them!) - nothing to lose except a little pride!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

Swampy wrote: »
    My wife would kill me if I bought her a sheep. However eating the said sheep would be the best gift of all.

I'd be doing well to be killed once if i did such a thing I'd be killed 4 or 5 times.

Don't do it tooyoungtodie or you could actually die, its a test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Its the girlfriends birthday in a few weeks and she is mad in to having her own flock.

Are you sure it was "flock" she said?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Man of Aran

agree with other posters. I think ewe need to think this over carefully .... think of the ramifications if she disapproves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I think it is dead romantic..........

funny-dog-humps-sheep.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ddogsbollix

Go for it!! i would love ten hogget as a present!:D any suffolk cross will do the trick!!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭mattthetrasher

i used to have a dog just like that:D:D:D:Dhonestly

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sideboard

Its the girlfriends birthday in a few weeks and she is mad in to having her own flock. I was thinking of getting her 10 hoggets for the birthday.

My questions are,

1. Will she go mad, I think its a good present.
    2. What breed, I was thinking of texel or suffolk cross
    3. How much should I pay per hogget, prices are all over the place on done deal. I was hoping to get out under a grand for ten.

All help much appreciated.

I had the same dilema when I was at your stage...I got me sheep...and then I got her to 'mind' them. You might be too-young-to-know :cool:.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

She will think you are trying to pull the wool over her eyes:eek:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

This thread makes me laugh every time I see it appear in the list of threads on the front page :D

I'd say go for it OP :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

pakalasa wrote: »
    I think it is dead romantic..........

funny-dog-humps-sheep.jpg

Why am I reminded of a verse of a poem about his romantic endeavours by the great bard Benny Hill?:
    So I took her on a picnic, because my heart was full
    And there we saw a cow getting friendly with a bull
    I said: "Oh I would love to do, what that bull's doing now"
    She said: "Why don't you ask then, she looks a friendly cow"

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

i used to have a dog just like that:D:D:D:Dhonestly

A dog that behaved like that or a dog that looked like that?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Silver 1234

Hi

Go for it . I'd like the ten hoggets. Try the suffolk cross breed. Texel can be hard to lamb.

Maybe the OP is getting them to have her at home the whole time looking after the ewes.

She'll be more impressed if you got Pedigree ewes for her.

Whats the point in buying a cheap box of chocolates when you can get 'ferro roche' excuse the spelling.

Texels are hard lambers.

I wonder what PB Beltex ewes are like to lamb?

What a good humored thread ..... nobody got a verbal lambasting over the ovine jokes or word play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Remember she is your girlfriend now. If she ever becomes your wife, she will be bleating into your ear for the rest of your life:eek: That's enough sheep for any man:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Don't do it... you could be the one that ends up having to flock the sheep for the rest of your life

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

As long as you yourself meet these standards I would go for it ;)

Oh how I'd love to see this moved to AH. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Sheep for her birthday, are ewe serious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Stheno wrote: »
    This thread makes me laugh every time I see it appear in the list of threads on the front page :D

I'd say go for it OP :)
    :D It was the first title that caught my eye, very funny. Id say go for it OP, id love that (im a girl) but then again im animal mad so that kind of present would make my day.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭TOOYOUNGTODIE

Thanks for all the good humoured replies.

I have done a bit of homework and had a chat with her old man, I wont be keeping them In my herd, Thank flock.

I have two options.

I will get 4-5 pedigree ewes, something hardy and well built like a dorset http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/sheep/3181173

or go for 10-12 Mountainy Ewes.

Her father breeds suffolk mules so it would be handy for him and I would get no grief if I had the Mountainy Ewes.

Any other ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭anndub

I have done a bit of homework and had a chat with her old man, I wont be keeping them In my herd, Thank flock.

I have two options.

I will get 4-5 pedigree ewes, something hardy and well built like a dorset http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/sheep/3181173

Her father breeds suffolk mules so it would be handy for him and I would get no grief if I had the Mountainy Ewes.

Any other ideas.

I think, in this situation, you should look to your user name for the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ddogsbollix

Pedigree ewes are not always hardy sometime the opposite! and mountain sheep.... well there built for the mountain so you will have fun chasing them all day when they break out through everything!!! i think a cheviot shouldnt be overlooked... they are hardy and cross very well with suffolk!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

I have two options.

Any other ideas.

I assume that is not yourself holding the sheep http://www.google.ie/imgres?q=dirty+sheep+pictures&hl=en&biw=1680&bih=955&gbv=2&tbm=isch&tbnid=Xe07glawZh5XwM:&imgrefurl=http://starkravingviking.blogspot.com/2010/10/ever-fd-over-by-muslim-financially.html&docid=chMsVrW__5QVbM&imgurl=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_OfpZQm4cpao/TKwONcYNKdI/AAAAAAAACIo/LxEdpfCFYA4/s400/sheep-shagger.jpg&w=293&h=288&ei=LFd8T5K7B4XOhAeG6_TMDA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=797&vpy=513&dur=1880&hovh=223&hovw=226&tx=98&ty=156&sig=118245169698702385738&page=2&tbnh=141&tbnw=146&start=40&ndsp=48&ved=1t:429,r:11,s:40,i:178

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭sheeper

Ok here is my 10c worth

If she is going to run them with her fathers flock you should get something that stands out so that they don't get mixed !!

If you think she will invest time I would go the pedigree option as her return would be better and if she can spend time on them they will do well , if she cant spend time go the cross bred option

If you go the pedigree option I would go Texel, NCC or Charolais

All of the breeds have their good points and bad points

• Advertisement

I got her two pedigree suffolk and two pedrigree dorset hoggets. All in lamb and scanned. I'm working today so her dad is bringing them home this evening.

I may be a single man this evening.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,769 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I'm told its great to be a single man these days - something to do with cheap flights and the internet:D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I'm told its great to be a single man these days - something to do with cheap flights and the internet:D;)

And I'm told: What happens abroad stays abroad!:D

I got her two pedigree suffolk and two pedrigree dorset hoggets. All in lamb and scanned. I'm working today so her dad is bringing them home this evening.

Would love to say "happy birthday", but afeard that it might be your username wish: "happy deathday":confused:;).

Will look out for future correspondence from you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

You'd better let us know how it goes:D

If you are still alive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,923 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I am visiting F&F solely to know how this goes, don't leave us in suspense!

• Advertisement

Just in case;
    IglooMEDIUMDogKennelSmallImage.jpg

sideboard wrote: »
    Would love to say "happy birthday", but afeard that it might be your username wish: "happy deathday":confused:;).

Will look out for future correspondence from you :D

Lads, nearly 6 hours and not a peep from TYTD...I'd say he has gone down...is the silence getting to anyone yet :confused::confused::confused:. He seemed like a dacent lad. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

sideboard wrote: »
    ...is the silence getting to anyone yet :confused::confused::confused:

The silence of the lambs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

I bet you looking for his oat's sheep like oat's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I'm hoping he got one pet lamb and tied a ring to it's head:o
    You know what kind I mean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

18713806.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Just got a pm there from tooyoungtodie, says he's gone to bed early:pac:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

kupus wrote: »
    18713806.jpg

No I don't? Could you possibly be hinting this as the cause?? http://www.sheepjokes.co.uk/images/wyo_wedding.gif :P

...And there was I all concerned for TYTD's safety :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Come on Tytd, how did the hoggets fair out? Just as well you didnt get mountainy, pain in the a$$ to deal with regarding breaking out. Imo they would get out of a locked and sealed room, with no indication of how they got out!! One minute they're in the room, the next they're out breaking the neighbours fencing!!

kupus wrote: »
    Come on Tytd, how did the hoggets fair out? Just as well you didnt get mountainy, pain in the a$$ to deal with regarding breaking out. Imo they would get out of a locked and sealed room, with no indication of how they got out!! One minute they're in the room, the next they're out breaking the neighbours fencing!!

Maybe we have been a wee bit too hard on TYTD. It may be a very sensitive time for him. But he has text one of the lads so we know he is fine. He probably is looking for a ewe-nique opportunity to tell us all. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

I herd* about this thread from another boardsie, only thing keeping a Jackeen like me in F&F!

C'mon OP, don't leave us hanging...

* I know, I know, don't judge me. :o

The suspense...

clock.gif

"Ewe Bro ,,,,, what's the story , man"?

Sorry for the delay in getting back I was mental busy all of yesterday.

She loved them, gave them names and everything:rolleyes: She reckons its the best birthday present ever. Her auld lad is delighted and is hoping for two PB suffolk ram lambs as his two breeders only have a season left!!

My biggest problem is to stop her busting them with meal before they lamb, this girl is mad into her animals. She has destroyed a great collie dog before, had him mud fat and useless, he wouldnt go out working at all.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I'm alive

Well I'll be...

Fair play to you. You might ask her what plans she has for the flock if she has given them names... Dinner might not taste as good if what you're eating has a first name.... :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement