Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Telephone Exchanges

Options
  • 03-04-2012 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Hey Guys

I was wondering what telephone exchange in cork that i am connected to just out of curiousity and how far away it is from my building on Washington Street

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Eh, it depends, you could be on one of several exchanges.

If you're on Washington Street, and your phone number starts with 021 427 or something similar, it's likely to be Cork Central AXE, which is in part of GPO building (you'll see the entrance behind the GPO). This covers the central island & western parts of the city.

If you're further out along Western Road (past UCC) it's likely to be Dennhey's Cross AXE 021 454 & 434 & possibly some others. It is in behind the UCC campus accommodation apartments on the CUH side of the road.

It's a large ugly 60s building with very few windows, you can't really see it anymore but it used to be quite prominent before the apartments were built.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭dragon5678

Solair wrote: »
    Eh, it depends, you could be on one of several exchanges.

If you're on Washington Street, and your phone number starts with 021 427 or something similar, it's likely to be Cork Central AXE, which is in part of GPO building (you'll see the entrance behind the GPO). This covers the central island & western parts of the city.

If you're further out along Western Road (past UCC) it's likely to be Dennhey's Cross AXE 021 454 & 434 & possibly some others. It is in behind the UCC campus accommodation apartments on the CUH side of the road.

It's a large ugly 60s building with very few windows, you can't really see it anymore but it used to be quite prominent before the apartments were built.

Hey Solair

Thanks your your help.

Was tryin to work out how fast my broadband would be. I would be connected to the central exchange

Thanks again :)

If you're on Washington St, you'd be better off getting upc. It's way way faster than DSL and the phone service is excellent too.

You don't need to take their cable tv if you just want broadband and phone and they also have business broadband products.

DSL speeds anywhere in the city are generally pretty good though.
    You start to get poor speeds more in areas on the outskirts of the suburbs tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭dragon5678

Solair wrote: »
    If you're on Washington St, you'd be better off getting upc. It's way way faster than DSL and the phone service is excellent too.

You don't need to take their cable tv if you just want broadband and phone and they also have business broadband products.

DSL speeds anywhere in the city are generally pretty good though.
    You start to get poor speeds more in areas on the outskirts of the suburbs tbh

I had UPC before but im moving further up Washington Street and UPC can only supply the new place with MMDS. No Broadband so I left them and goin with Sky and eircom instead

Good to know DSL speeds are good. maybe NGB might actually work

It depends on a number of factors :

Distance from the DSLAM (which is usually in the exchange) and quality of the copper used.

Copper lines were designed to carry voice, not data, so older wiring didn't really take anything other than the voice frequencies into account and also may have less than optimal impedance and other characteristics that don't really suit DSL modems very well.

DSL's really a hacked-on solution that was attached to an existing infrastructure (phone lines) that were never designed to support broadband data, which is why it's so problematic in marginal areas.

I would say you'll get a speed somewhere between 11 and 19 Mbit/s on a an up to 24 mbit/s line.

If your line can't cope with the higher speeds, it's worth downgrading to a slower package.

The other good alternative is Nova Networks. They use a wireless microwave link to an antenna on the building itself. The speeds are excellent and the ping times are nice and low. Also, if you're planning on downloading a lot e.g. using Netflix etc, they have a pretty large daily cap, rather than a monthly one. It's actually not a bad solution if you have access to the roof / gable walls and can install a small antenna.

Btw : Nova are absolutely *NOT* mobile broadband and are a genuine broadband product.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

dragon5678 wrote: »
    Hey Guys

I was wondering what telephone exchange in cork that i am connected to just out of curiousity and how far away it is from my building on Washington Street

Thanks

Hi dragon5678,

Have checked the exchange using the phone number from a previous query you logged with us, I take it this is still the same (on Washington St.). The line is connected to the "Cork Central" exchange which is also NGB enabled. I can't tell you exactly how far you are from this exchange but but based on the line qualification of 'up to 17mb' I would be fairly certain it is less than 3km away. I hope this answers your question but if you need any more info let me know.

Regards

James (logged in as Mark)

Advertisement