Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property management vat rate

Options
  • 03-04-2012 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Can someone confirm the correct vat rate that applies to property management fees

and also an idea of what the property management fee for a 3 bed semi
    in a country town would be?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Property management for letting/renting? Or property management for a managed development?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭markpb

Gel wrote: »
    Can someone confirm the correct vat rate that applies to property management fees

Assuming you mean the service charge that you pay to the management company of which you are an owner, it should be zero. I don't think MCs are allowed to charge VAT because they're not selling a service, they're sharing costs between members. I'm open to correction on this.
    and also an idea of what the property management fee for a 3 bed semi
    in a country town would be?

It's too hard to give a proper answer for this but you can assume you'll be paying for public liability insurance, landscaping and street lighting at a very minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Gel

To clarify...

I mean a company who finds a tenant and organises maintenance/repairs as required.

What would a typical fee be for a 3 bed semi in a country town?
    and
    What vat rate do they charge for this service?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Gel wrote: »
    What would a typical fee be for a 3 bed semi in a country town?
    The finders fee for getting a tenant in would be one month's rent. General management would probably be another month's rent per year, assuming the is nothing out of the ordinary.
    What vat rate do they charge for this service?
    Whatever the highest rate is, 22% or 23%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

The Standard VAT rate (currently 23%) applies to "Management Services- Including Property Management"

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/rates/decision-detail-01143.jsp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Victor wrote: »
    The finders fee for getting a tenant in would be one month's rent. General management would probably be another month's rent per year, assuming the is nothing out of the ordinary.
    Whatever the highest rate is, 22% or 23%.

That's way over the top in the current environment. While my experience is of Dublin based agents, I'm looking at a fixed fee of less than 1/2 a month's rent (in reality much less) to source a tenant and an annual management fee (including some weekly tidying) of well under 8%.

Advertisement