Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Govt. Tax on Credit cards today...

• 03-04-2012 6:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Just saw this was charged to my card today, €30 as usual each year, but it got me thinking, how much does our classy govt. make on this charge each Apr in one giant taking.
    Like there must be people out there still with more than one credit card.

Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Im surprised they haven't increased the tax on it yet
    Debit cards too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Debit cards too! Christ thats a pretty penny!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

Soon they will be taxing you on how often you take a dump.

they haven't taxed my debit card, but they have hit both my credit cards :rolleyes:
    oh well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I was hit for €70 on my CC. They get you at every turn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

30 for me. Ouch -_-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I don't understand why they feel the need to tax a private interaction between a bank and a consumer.

What if they taxed Xtravision cards. Would it be any more or less rational than this tax?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

Anyone know if a refund can be applied for if you prove that you are living overseas?

What if they taxed Xtravision cards. Would it be any more or less rational than this tax?

This is the calibre of ideas currently being implemented by FG/Labour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Feckers are coming round to look into the septic tanks aren't they. I have to pay for them to do it too. So I suppose soon is already happening.

• Advertisement

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    I was hit for €70 on my CC. They get you at every turn.

How did they do that? The tax is a flat rate 30 euro afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Just checked my online banking.....dirty, miserable, fcuking bast@rds. :mad:

Krieg wrote: »
    How did they do that? The tax is a flat rate 30 euro afaik.

I'll have to check. It was normally €30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    This is the calibre of ideas currently being implemented by FG/Labour.

Pretty sure the charge on bank cards was brought in by a FF government. FG/Lab haven't got rid of it, but that was never going to happen considering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Im surprised they haven't increased the tax on it yet
    Debit cards too

They tax debit cards? Is this for real? I checked my balance online and nothing was taken. Will they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

The charge has put me over my limit for the first time ever. Fukkers :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You've been paying this for ten years. Yet now somehow it's ridiculous and unfair.

Pathetic.

Tax your Tesco clubcard or charge you BIK on the points lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

seamus wrote: »
    You've been paying this for ten years. Yet now somehow it's ridiculous and unfair.

Pathetic.
    yeah but shur we all partied...

Pathetic.

I've complained about it every time. Especially when I was hit for €40 a go on 2 credit cards, a tenner for Banklink and a tenner for Laser.

The rest of the world seems to incentivise taking paper out of payments. In Ireland it is penalised.

• Advertisement

Pathetic.

doesn't stop us having a good moan about good friday and drink either :pac:

it is a bit ridiculous when you think about it

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

It's like something you would expect from Taoiseach Michael O'Leary.

They tax debit cards? Is this for real? I checked my balance online and nothing was taken. Will they?

yep
    CI wrote:
    The annual stamp duty for these cards is as follows:

ATM card: €2.50
    Debit (Laser) card: €2.50
    Combined ATM and laser card: €5

Anyone know if a refund can be applied for if you prove that you are living overseas?

You might get a refund
    There are a number of exemptions:
    • If you have not used your card during the year then it is not liable for stamp duty. This applies even if you use the card to request a chequebook, a balance statement, or to establish your identity or account number. There is no charge if the card is issued on a deposit account which has an average balance of less than €12.70.
    • There is no duty payable where the cardholder has died during the accounting period.
    • You are not liable to stamp duty if your billing address is outside the State.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

There has always been transaction taxes. We don't use cheques any more so the stamp duty raised by that method of payment had to be replaced.

This is no more unfair than any other stamp duty or tax tbh.

You might get a refund
    There are a number of exemptions:
    • If you have not used your card during the year then it is not liable for stamp duty. This applies even if you use the card to request a chequebook, a balance statement, or to establish your identity or account number. There is no charge if the card is issued on a deposit account which has an average balance of less than €12.70.
    • There is no duty payable where the cardholder has died during the accounting period.
    • You are not liable to stamp duty if your billing address is outside the State.

You are taxed retrospectively per year or part thereof as at 1st working day of April.

If you are charged today, you're actuallly being charged from 1st April 2011 to 31st March 2012. If you closed the account this afternoon, you would be charged again.

There is some form of method of not paying the following year's duty if you have paid mid-year on an account you close. You get a certificate off the old provider and forward it to your new one who should not charge you the next time. This is supposedly to remove a penalty on someone changing banking or credit card provider.

The truth is that it is too complicated and people stick with AIB or BOI because they don't want to pay twice in one year, re-enforcing the duopoly in the Irish credit card market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Last year the 30 put me over my credit limit and the 2.50 on the ATM card put me into an overdraft that I was charged 12.70. They didn't catch me out this year. ^_^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Pathetic.

It is ridiculous and unfair, the government get tax on every single thing you buy as it is, why is it they need a bonus if you don't use cash?
    Whats pathetic is yes men like you who don't happen to mind a tax on every single thing you do in your life.

Our last two governments have done nothing for the people who pay the tax, they are in power to line their own coffers. To hell with the man who breaks his back everyday to feed his family.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Pathetic.
    I suppose you are one of the few people who paid the Household Charge on January 1st. Pathetic indeed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

From Citizen's Information:

"There is no duty payable where the cardholder has died during the accounting period."

Jaysis, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I suppose you are one of the few people who paid the Household Charge on January 1st. Pathetic indeed!

Did you protest and withhold payment over this tax? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

It is ridiculous and unfair, the government get tax on every single thing you buy as it is, why is it they need a bonus if you don't use cash?
    Whats pathetic is yes men like you who don't happen to mind a tax on every single thing you do in your life.

Our last two governments have done nothing for the people who pay the tax, they are in power to line their own coffers. To hell with the man who breaks his back everyday to feed his family.

It has always been the middle income folks who's tax 75% funds a country.. This is the way it has always been and is in all developed countries, except those states who just borrow money to run the state and not worry about paying it back..
    Posts like the one above never cease to amaze me.. How on earth do you think the country and the level of services we want are going to be funded??

Anyone thinking they will not be paying more taxes over the next few years is just deluding themselves..

Voters who were just falling over themselves to elect the current government twisted their arms and made the promise not to touch PAYE. They haven't, but they have to raise money somewhere.. PAYE is the obvious place to raise more money so it will be "adjusted" at the next budget..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

bbam wrote: »
    It has always been the middle income folks who's tax 75% funds a country.. This is the way it has always been and is in all developed countries, except those states who just borrow money to run the state and not worry about paying it back..
    Posts like the one above never cease to amaze me.. How on earth do you think the country and the level of services we want are going to be funded??

Anyone thinking they will not be paying more taxes over the next few years is just deluding themselves..

Voters who were just falling over themselves to elect the current government twisted their arms and made the promise not to touch PAYE. They haven't, but they have to raise money somewhere.. PAYE is the obvious place to raise more money so it will be "adjusted" at the next budget..

You cant pull feathers of a frog bbam, The people are paying their bollox off, VAT, Road Tax, Stamp Duty, PAYE, Credit Card tax, Booze Tax, Cigg Tax (where applicable) Bin Tax, property tax, TV tax... there is more but im to incensed to think of them right now.
    We have to eat and have roofs over our heads too you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I think a credit card duty should be much higher than the current €30 (used to be 40).
    With a service like this, anyone who has been approved one is going to be more likely to be able to afford such a charge.
    btw, I do have one, so definitely not an "anyone but me" rant

I think a credit card duty should be much higher than the current €30 (used to be 40).
    With a service like this, anyone who has been approved one is going to be more likely to be able to afford such a charge.

"they should increase it because people can afford it"? how about a decent reason why, as someone earlier said, the govt feels the need to stick its nose in and tax it at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

would you also welcome an extra tax on using services like a taxi or bus... or airplane - because its not much different to those ... a tax between a business (bank) and the consumer .... how about a tax on laser cards until they are gotten rid of in 2013/2014 ?

or wait till they bring in a financial transaction tax (which is one of the reasons why britain refused the fiscal treaty)

I'm not trying to derail the thread just that I disagree with your opinion that it should be increased - as has been mentioned earlier its a tax on a facility/service provided by a company to a person .... not unlike the facility/service provided by a bus/taxi (in my opinion).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

And they wonder why we're still a cash society encouraging ATM\bank heist gangs of all sorts to operate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Oh my God

Just checked online banking and saw this. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I've a Visa debit card from PTSB,how much will I be hit for?

Was charged €8 for having -€23 in my account last week,and can't really afford to pay another overdraft charge this week.Think I've about €7 in my account now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

That is coming under the guise of a water charge. Only flush after every second dump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Taking a dump can be taxing enough sometimes. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

There has always been transaction taxes. We don't use cheques any more so the stamp duty raised by that method of payment had to be replaced.

This is no more unfair than any other stamp duty or tax tbh.

This is incorrect.

Cheques are still used. Not as much as before but there's still a lot written every day. It's not an either / or situation. The government get 50 cent stamp duty per cheque.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭McCrack

You cant pull feathers of a frog bbam, The people are paying their bollox off, VAT, Road Tax, Stamp Duty, PAYE, Credit Card tax, Booze Tax, Cigg Tax (where applicable) Bin Tax, property tax, TV tax... there is more but im to incensed to think of them right now.
    We have to eat and have roofs over our heads too you know.

The majority of those can either be avoided and/or evaded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

student accounts don't incur this fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

Peoples circumstances change.

During the dot com bust, I was unemployed for a time. I would not have been approved for a card if I applied, but there was no problem keeping them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

amacachi wrote: »
    Last year the 30 put me over my credit limit and the 2.50 on the ATM card put me into an overdraft that I was charged 12.70. They didn't catch me out this year. ^_^

They stole points from my Tesco Card too. Fcukers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

I only use my credit card if I don't have any money left at the end of the month but still feel like eating :mad::(. Have always resented the charge but of course it's an easy one for governments giving the nmber of cardholders in the country. Like a previous poster remarked we Ireland is the only country to penalise you for not cards instead of cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Goddamnit, turns out it did put me over my credit limit. **** knows how much the banks will charge me for the privilege.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Ooh, interesing info provided here. I haven't used my Irish credit card in the last year - I must check if I got stung for the tax and try and get it back off them if I have.

EDIT: I did get charged but I was 30EUR in credit (I'd transferred the money on to it a few months ago because I'd intended closing the card but changed my mind) so my balance is now 0. I don't think I used it in the last year apart from transferring the money on to it. I wonder if that counts as having used it in the last year?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

student accounts don't incur this fee.
    Yeah they do!

• Advertisement
Advertisement