Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Govt. Tax on Credit cards today...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

watna wrote: »
    Ooh, interesing info provided here. I haven't used my Irish credit card in the last year - I must check if I got stung for the tax and try and get it back off them if I have.

EDIT: I did get charged but I was 30EUR in credit (I'd transferred the money on to it a few months ago because I'd intended closing the card but changed my mind) so my balance is now 0. I don't think I used it in the last year apart from transferring the money on to it. I wonder if that counts as having used it in the last year?!

Boo-urns - you only don't have to pay a fee on your debit card if you haven't used it. I did use mine in the last year. On your credit card you have to pay it no matter what, you just pay it for having the card. Oh well, it was worth looking in to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Aren't banks providing visa debit cards now? Or so I read. Aib is meant to provide them soon.

What does this mean? What's the charge, will it be like a credit card since its a visa?

Aren't banks providing visa debit cards now? Or so I read. Aib is meant to provide them soon.

What does this mean? What's the charge, will it be like a credit card since its a visa?

no
    my visa debit wasn't charged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

I've about €7 in my account now!

Alright, woohoo for you, no need to brag.

Anyone know if a refund can be applied for if you prove that you are living overseas?
    My understanding is if you have the card registered to an Irish address then you're liable, I had the opposite situation seven years ago when moving here from the UK.

The (UK) cc company were obliged to charge £24 because I had moved here, I very quickly went from five cards to one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Loks like I qualify for a refund. Is it just as simple as ringing up the bank and asking for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,127 ✭✭✭✭listermint

bbam wrote: »
    Posts like the one above never cease to amaze me.. How on earth do you think the country and the level of services we want are going to be funded??

Level of services?

What level of services? Go into the nearest hospital there and see how long you wait, dont stop there see how much it costs you to get an arm bandaged.

The broadband network is is attrocious for most of the country. We have ridiculously high costs for electricity. there are garda stations shutting down.
    Sure the Garda station in Tallaght is around one tenth of the size for a station with a population mass that it serves, this
    included that it also has no armed response unit. Our roads arent up to much either. Most of the Major motorwats built
    in the last 6 years got hit heavily by the frost and snow over the last 2 years and the maintenance has been quite poor.
    We have privatisation of bin collections and badly managed transfer of these contracts.

Just where are all these superb services that you speak of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

bluewolf wrote: »
    no
    my visa debit wasn't charged

Have you checked your January bank statement. That is when debit cards are charged stamp duty.

wonski wrote: »
    Have you checked your January bank statement. That is when debit cards are charged stamp duty.

ahhh
    there it is, 5 euro

• Advertisement

ahhh
    there it is, 5 euro

Hope i didn't ruin your day...

nah, getting hit for 60 yesterday was worse :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

There is no duty payable where the cardholder has died during the accounting period.

Nice!!! Fake my death and problem sorted....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I've complained about it every time. Especially when I was hit for €40 a go on 2 credit cards, a tenner for Banklink and a tenner for Laser.

The rest of the world seems to incentivise taking paper out of payments. In Ireland it is penalised.

If you have a combo card, Banklink\Laser, the ones AIB are so keen to push on you, where you previously just had a Banklink card.. do you pay for both, on the one card?

Amalgam wrote: »
    If you have a combo card, Banklink\Laser, the ones AIB are so keen to push on you, where you previously just had a Banklink card.. do you pay for both, on the one card?

If you use it in ATM - 2.50/year. Paying at point of sale - another 2.50/year.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Damn, I was sure I'd changed all my accounts' billing addresses. At least this thread saved me 30 euros for next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

30? I thought it was a tenner. Sweet Jebus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Yep, €30.

Interesting though, we have 2 cards on the 1 account. Thought they'd for sure be charging us €60 total.

And we've the same for laser cards, but for that we got charged a tenner.

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Yep, €30.

Interesting though, we have 2 cards on the 1 account. Thought they'd for sure be charging us €60 total.

It is 30E per credit card account, not actual card.

ahhh
    there it is, 5 euro

You've ruined my day, just had a look at my statement from january and the fcekers stole €5 from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

You've ruined my day, just had a look at my statement from january and the fcekers stole €5 from me.

me too :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

It is 30E per credit card account, not actual card.

Tx... but isn't it odd that they get u for a fiver a card on the one current account?.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    me too :mad:

Time to run away from this thread...
    If it makes you all feel any better i still wait for MY 400E to be refunded due to ATM fault on last Friday. Still some food left in the fridge, so hopefully will survive till next payday.

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Tx... but isn't it odd that they get u for a fiver a card on the one current account?.

It only shows they do what they want, and there is nothing we can do about it (well we can complain, but it won't change the law).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Feck Hell...

My payment date for CC is 04/04 I checked it yesterday online and it was at zero, but when I checked it just now I see "02/04/12 GOVERNMENT STAMP DUT" @ 30e.

That meant the either the processing company the Gov is using or the Bank details the item and now my account was not fully paid off and I save to pay extra charges now :/

I dont get it. They tax your wages, they tax ur atm card, they tax stuff u buy, they want to tax your home now, if u die and leave someone your money, they tax it some more.

Is there any country that doesn't rob you as much as ireland. Im sick of tax and price increases.

Il be finished college in four weeks and beginning to wonder should I even bother working. The most il ever get is roughly 21k a year. Its not alot really.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭CiaranTheGreat

I was so annoyed! Just took out a loan to clear my CC and was all chuffed with being over paid by 5.49€ but that's gone now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Wait until NFC comes to your smart phone and you could be hit with a sales tax change for every transaction you make

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Wait until NFC comes to your smart phone and you could be hit with a sales tax change for every transaction you make

You mean something like Value Added Tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

Wait until NFC comes to your smart phone and you could be hit with a sales tax change for every transaction you make.
    You mean something like Value Added Tax?

Knowing our government it'll be a transaction tax on top of VAT. That's just how they roll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I find it funny how are government are on top of taking money from us but seem imbecilic when it comes to medical cards or getting people back to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I find it funny how the government thinks giving people less money to put in the economy will gelp the economy in any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I find it funny how the government thinks giving people less money to put in the economy will gelp the economy in any way.

Can't be as funny as someone expecting to close a €20bn deficit without taking money out of the economy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Can't be as funny as someone expecting to close a €20bn deficit without taking money out of the economy?

Surely they should be concentrating on getting people spending, which sustains jobs and still brings in money in the form of VAT.

This charge just feels like a punitive tax for people who use credit instead of cash. Doesn't make an ounce of sense to me to poach this money from people, many of whom are already paying interest on those CCs to the banks.

That €30 could have been spent in local shops, hairdressers or restaurants instead of going into the government coffers only to be handed straight back over to the banks and bondholders.
    Stop taxing people who are already taxed up the wazoo and start encouraging growth instead. It might just work.

Surely they should be concentrating on getting people spending, which sustains jobs and still brings in money in the form of VAT.

This charge just feels like a punitive tax for people who use credit instead of cash. Doesn't make an ounce of sense to me to poach this money from people, many of whom are already paying interest on those CCs to the banks.

That €30 could have been spent in local shops, hairdressers or restaurants instead of going into the government coffers only to be handed straight back over to the banks and bondholders.
    Stop taxing people who are already taxed up the wazoo and start encouraging growth instead. It might just work.

So no tax raises and no cuts is the way forward? Hardly. It's impossible to do that while you're running a €20bn budget deficit every year, sitting around and doing that while continuously borrowing hoping another property bubbles arrives simply isn't very realistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

So no tax raises and no cuts is the way forward? Hardly. It's impossible to do that while you're running a €20bn budget deficit every year, sitting around and doing that while continuously borrowing hoping another property bubbles arrives simply isn't very realistic.

I didn't say no tax raises and no cuts. However, there is only so much people can take.

I would just rather see people spend their money helping to sustain jobs, not see it pulled into the great government tax vortex, while businesses fold and people emigrate en masse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I find it funny how are government are on top of taking money from us but seem imbecilic when it comes to medical cards or getting people back to work.

I think you'll find that's every government in the world - it's not particular to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

If we get 400,000 people back to work that deficit would disappear. You need to incentivise people to get back to work and employers to take on people.

Raising VAT has not helped. Not tackling the upward only rents, which they promised does not help. Doing nothing about outrageous commercial rates does not help. But if you were to tackle all three then maybe companies might be more confident about taking on more staff.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    If we get 400,000 people back to work that deficit would disappear. You need to incentivise people to get back to work and employers to take on people.

Raising VAT has not helped. Not tackling the upward only rents, which they promised does not help. Doing nothing about outrageous commercial rates does not help. But if you were to tackle all three then maybe companies might be more confident about taking on more staff.

No country has ever had everyone working. Secondly about a 1/3 of those workers are in the construction industry so getting them back to work will be very difficult unless we aim for another property/construction bubble. VAT might not help but it hasn't made much difference. Hard to know if the extra money made from VAT is more or less than the marginal increase in employment a VAT reduction would make.

Upward only rent is something they need to get the finger out on though.

If we don't aim to get the entire 400,000 back in some form of employment what is the point. Why should there be 100,000 unemployed forever?

When you have retailers paying enormous rates to local authorities when they also pay for water on top it that, pay for their own rubbish collection, ESB, Heating etc it becomes uncompetitive. Now that domestic propery tax is coming in they need to reduce commercial rates and quick. I've listened to many companies who are paying €100,000+ on rates. If they reduced it to €50,000 (money for nothing) thr company could employ two people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭THENORTHSIDER

Taking a dump can be taxing enough sometimes. :pac:

Had a belly full of Harp last weekend and have been taxed badly all week:eek:

If we don't aim to get the entire 400,000 back in some form of employment what is the point. Why should there be 100,000 unemployed forever?

When you have retailers paying enormous rates to local authorities when they also pay for water on top it that, pay for their own rubbish collection, ESB, Heating etc it becomes uncompetitive. Now that domestic propery tax is coming in they need to reduce commercial rates and quick. I've listened to many companies who are paying €100,000+ on rates. If they reduced it to €50,000 (money for nothing) thr company could employ two people.

Because no country has ever had it, why aim for the impossible?

And the rates?

And the rates?

Are they not done by the councils? Some councils I know have already reduced them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Roaming

I am so angry. MBNA allow me €8000 credit limit yet I haven't taken in any money for last three years! I think this is a total disgrace. I would hate to think a young person was allowed same when unemployed. Just think of how much debt the could get themselves into. I feel so sorry for young people with this sort of temptation. Also, cancelled card today and had to pay €30 for government tax and was then told I would be liable for it next year again even though I never used card in past year and now I have cancelled it. Such a rip off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What are you angry about? MBNA won't automatically reduce the limit on your card unless you have difficulty making repayments. You can however ask them to reduce it.

You won't have to pay stamp duty next year if you've cancelled your card.

• Advertisement

The lady was definite about me having to pay next year and I also rang citizen's advice and they unfortunatly she was right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Hardly the most shocking tax.

Considering you are paying for yet another service you are not using it is most unfair. I don't mind paying if I get a service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Roaming wrote: »
    The lady was definite about me having to pay next year and I also rang citizen's advice and they unfortunatly she was right
    Then maybe your phrasing is incorrect. Your card company should already have applied stamp duty for the year up to 1st April to your account.

Now that you've cancelled your account, stamp duty has been applied for the year since 2nd April.

You will not be charged stamp duty again next April, as you will have already paid it.

No I told her to make sure and put a not on my account that I was not to be contacted regards this card again and she said if I didn't pay next April it would go against my credit rating.

• Advertisement
Advertisement