Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to rent with rent allowance??

Options
  • 03-04-2012 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi

i am very confused about how it works!!...

i have been accepted onto the housing list...i am not working and am getting DA...i think this automatically entitles me to rent allowance??
    .i am currently living at home with my parents but have to move out.....

how do i find somewhere i can rent that will accept rent allowance?? how do i start this whole process??? i am very confused and can't really find a lot of info out there...

any advice tips or info would be greatly appreciated!!

sarah jane
    xx
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

they have very strict rules in relation to rent allowance, the first being that you need to be renting privately for 6mths and be able to show that you are renting....if you have special needs then exceptions can be made but only at the discretion of the cwo

but here are two links
    the first explains rent allowance
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

you need to find out where and when your community welfare officer sits and go visit them tell them of your situation...however they cant set you up with RA until you have secured a rental property that falls within the rent allowance limits for your area.....once a property has been secured at the right price then you will get a visit from the cwo to check out the property, they will also give you the relevant forms that you must get the landlord or letting agent to fill in, this needs to be signed and returned to the cwo with the documents that are required (on the back of the form) this is all then processed and a letter is sent to you stating if you have been accepted for RA or not, the RA is paid either weekly or the last thursday of the month (again depending on where you live) into the post office

as for where you find somewhere to rent that accepts rent allowance
    this is the website most use its daft.ie ........go to lettings,choose where you want to live, how many bed rooms you want and the max rent price you can pay scroll down and there is a box for rent allowance tick it and go searching

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/

best of luck OP its a long process that separates the men from the boys :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Can someone give me some advice re the following.

I have been unemployed since January and am on JSB.

I was renting up until January, so I do meet the criteria of renting for 6 of the last 12 months, but my landlord was not a registered landlord. Is this an issue?

For the past 5 months I have been living at my parents home. Is there a clause that says that if I am living with family then I cant move into private rented accommodation?

I found somewhere that is within the limits for rent supplement, and the landlord is legit, but I will need to start paying rent straight away. My understanding is that it will take some time for the payment to be processed, any idea how long?

Any help gratefully received.

you are living at home therefore not renting privately so you wouldnt be entitled to rent allowance, if you move out now rent for 6mths then you will have rented for the required time

It doesnt matter that you rented up to January it is now the end of May and you are not at present renting so you do not meet the criteria

you also need to be on the local housing list, so if I where you I'd apply for that and they assess from the form you fill out what are your housing needs, but unless you are living in the sitting room or sharing a room with 10 other people I really dont see that you are in need of social housing so again you would not get a social housing apartment, however the housing list is a requirement for rent allowance so if you decide to move out and rent privately then the waiting for the local housing person to assess you wouldnt be an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

edellc wrote: »
    you are living at home therefore not renting privately so you wouldnt be entitled to rent allowance, if you move out now rent for 6mths then you will have rented for the required time

I'm not sure you know what you are talking about.
    From Citizen's Information website:
    Getting Rent Supplement
    You may get Rent Supplement if you have been living for 6 months (183 days) out of the last 12 months in one, or a combination, of the following:

Private rented accommodation. You can combine time living in more than one rented accommodation to satisfy the 6 months (183 days). You must be able to show that you could afford the rent at the beginning of your tenancy and that you could have continued to pay rent but are unable to do so because of a change in your circumstances which occurred after you started renting.

It doesnt matter that you rented up to January it is now the end of May and you are not at present renting so you do not meet the criteria
    It does, because in the 12 months June 11 to May 12, I was renting for 6months.
    you also need to be on the local housing list...
    No, you dont. There are two ways to become eligible for rent allowance, being on the housing list is one.

Please do not write posts with an air of authority when you do not know what you are talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

yes you are correct if you have rented for 6 out of 12 months and are able to prove so. Old lease and bills etc.

You will have to go onto the housing list for your local area. The CWO will want you to. It's been the standard for quite a while now.

The time frame for when you receive the rent allowance varies greatly. It can in some cases take 12 weeks. If you have everything ready and do it all at once, depending on which area you are in, how many applications the CWO or CRU has to go through and so forth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

You must be able to show that you could afford the rent at the beginning of your tenancy and that you could have continued to pay rent but are unable to do so because of a change in your circumstances which occurred after you started renting.

This however may be your main obstacle. Because you are in your parents house, the CWO may raise questions as to why you are moving out now and can you realistically afford it without rent allowance.

I'm not sure you know what you are talking about.
    From Citizen's Information website:
    Getting Rent Supplement
    You may get Rent Supplement if you have been living for 6 months (183 days) out of the last 12 months in one, or a combination, of the following:

Private rented accommodation. You can combine time living in more than one rented accommodation to satisfy the 6 months (183 days). You must be able to show that you could afford the rent at the beginning of your tenancy and that you could have continued to pay rent but are unable to do so because of a change in your circumstances which occurred after you started renting.

It does, because in the 12 months June 11 to May 12, I was renting for 6months.

No, you dont. There are two ways to become eligible for rent allowance, being on the housing list is one.

Please do not write posts with an air of authority when you do not know what you are talking about.

yes you have to be renting for 6mths out of the last twelve so apologies for that one OP

However you do need to be on the the housing list it is one of the stipulations when you get your rent allowance forms from the cwo

as for Stabshauptmann right back at ya Please do not write posts with an air of authority when you do not know what you are talking about. yes you do need to be on the housing list ask any cwo, and I have just gone through the process and although I am renting 12 years I still needed to apply for social housing as per my cwo :p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement