Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Following on from Hungrycol

Options
  • 03-04-2012 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

Seeing as I don't have time for much biking with the recent birth of our 3rd baby (3 under 3 now) and college exams round the corner I need some motivation to keep the weight down. Have been reading Hungrycols thread and that six pack of cream eggs has given me great hope. Since last season I've put on about 7kg which isn't much but I still feel bloated and generally unfit.

So my aim is to lose the bit of weight I've put on since last year and maybe get in a few races by year end. I'm going to aim for an 8kg weight loss over the next 3 months and hopefully be in 1/2 decent shape to be competitive in a race. Travelling to China in June for about 6 weeks so will not have much time to race. 

Will try to put weekly weigh ins up here. All encouragement welcome particularly from busy parent cyclists.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Weigh in this morning of 71.8kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Best of luck with it. I have 3 all under 4 y.o. and the only training I'm getting is in and out of work 13kms each way and the club run on Sat morning. I hope to race the league on Wednesday nights.

My crash really put the brakes on my weight loss and kept me off the bike for a few weeks but had it not happended I may have hit my target.

71.8kg seems pretty light already and 8kg off that seems massive! Sure you don't mean 0.8kg?! As a matter of interest what's your BMI? (Don't want to start a BMI debate.) I'm still borderline overweight at 6'2'' and 14st :(

I'll hardly do the league this year. Just no time. Pity coz its the best training.

Yes its not too heavy at all but I'd like to shed the excess weight. Anyway its good for my health. This goal will help me cut out all the crap I've started eating recently.

My BMI was 25 a few years ago and I'd say I was 75kg then. Don' know what it is now. Probably around the 20 mark.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,488 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

My BMI was 25 a few years ago and I'd say I was 75kg then. Don' know what it is now. Probably around the 20 mark.
    If it was 25 then at 75kg, then assuming you've not got shorter it would be 24 if you are 72kg. However having seen your build, I cannot imagine it's anything like that high

The basic formula is weight (kg)/(height (metres) squared)

It's a fairly safe bet I'm not shorter since then. I'd be very worried if I was. :)

My build is deceiving. Carry an oul belly on me which I somehow have never been able to shed. Was sipping away on the water today and eating lots of fluidly things.

Does anyone ever get sugar cravings and all of a sudden feel like they have no energy. Happened today. Usually want to eat something sweet after dinner. Took some perseverance today to resist & an hour later I got the knock. Probably need to ween myself off crap carbs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I suspect that that is a very dramatic weight loss goal for a man in his ideal weight range all ready......

my belly as of this morning. not a pretty sight. Mods can you edit to title to Following on....instead on in. also modify me to lose excess weight.

IMG_0801.jpg

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,488 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Mods can you edit to title to Following on
    Done - I think it needs a "warning contains disturbing images" also ...:D

Yes it's definitely not for the faint hearted.

Down in Limerick with family and the house is full of sweet processed food. Oh the temptations. Oats & More is really testing my willpower here.

• Advertisement

Weigh in this morning of 71.7kg. didn't have a great Easter but I'm going to try to stay off the after dinner snacks, eat more fruit and drink plenty of water for the next week. Going to try get out on the bike also today.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Will try to put weekly weigh ins up here. All encouragement welcome particularly from busy parent cyclists.

As many on here will say, commuting is a great way to get some training in.
    If you live too close to work, leave a little earlier and go the long way.
    If you live too far from work, leave a little earlier and drive some of the way.
    If you work from home, get up earlier and do an hour before you sit at you desk.

Supplement this with one good spin, club race or race and you'll find that it's enough to improve.

I took up running last year, only becuase it's better than nothing when you can get out on the bike, being able to run a solid 40mins is great when travelling or if your only free time is after dark.

some people will use turbo trainers they way I use running, but that's fine if you don't have to recover it and the bike from the depths of your shed

Weighed in on Sat at 71.5 so I'm very slowly going down. Did an hour on the bike on Saturday on old boot inn circuit. Some lunatic overtook and I only had about 2 feet to spare and I raised my hand as if it say "do you not see me" and only got the finger for my troubles. 

Didn't have a great week this week as was studying hard for a Chinese speaking competition which I made a complete balls of forgetting most of my lines and abandoning half way through. In saying that, I'm still the same weight. I had a good hour on the bike yesterday up and down Mobhi road doing some hill reps so that was good. Going to have to start using the turbo trainer soon just for 30 min sessions. Also need to create some goals to be more consistent. I'm going to aim for a 200g weight loss this week just by reducing portion sizes.

Advertisement