Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gingers in Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

Naomi00 wrote: »
    I wonder did he ever get to that ginger festival he was going on about?

I sure hope not. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Dark brown/gold/red right here! Blue/grey eyes, luxurious ginger beard and do have eyebrows :P Already taken though!

Always found it odd how a lot of women apparently love the colour but us folk seem to get slightly overshadowed by most usually.

How so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

What is the difference between a ginger and a brick?
    The Brick Gets laid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

[/B]

How so?

Maybe overshadowed wasn't the correct word...but we generally have to put up with a lot more stick in society (well, within my group of friends anyway) :p

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

What is the difference between a ginger and a brick?
    The Brick Gets laid

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Sorry dude, I didn't mean to be colourist. I have a ginger friend,like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

Sorry dude, I didn't mean to be colourist. I have a ginger friend,like.

Sure! You and Suarez both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Is all this Ginger stuff some offshoot of British influence? I never heard that word growing up, heard red head and foxy but never Ginger.

• Advertisement

Maybe overshadowed wasn't the correct word...but we generally have to put up with a lot more stick in society (well, within my group of friends anyway) :p

Green with envy no doubt of your virile gingeriness:D

Is all this Ginger stuff some offshoot of British influence? I never heard that word growing up, heard red head and foxy but never Ginger.

Completely. Introduced by the British media. Back in the old days only the odd household had non Irish channels, now everyone has them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

My Nan Has An Obsession With Gingers... She Loves Them... It's Actually Creepy.. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

crfcaio wrote: »
    Please do tell me that they still exist.
    You know, red-haired females with freckles and whatnot.

Of course they do.

There you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Its just south park, for pity's sake.

/facepalm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Yes, and I heard that by law, they are the onliest ones that can say "Top o' the mornin' to ya".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

My hair fairly brown and boring coloured...

but my beard... is the colour of FIRE! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭crfcaio

That's been one thing in my list of life achievements:
    Date a red-haired, preferably Irish, woman.

Then I'd die happy (:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

That's been one thing in my list of life achievements:
    Date a red-haired, preferably Irish, woman.

Then I'd die happy (:

My desire is more base then dating, but if dating followed I wouldn't object.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

Red hair, pale skin = gorgeous. Far better than the orangey tangoed look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Hate the word ginger applied to red-haired people. It's a word I associate with britain, Catherine Tate and all that.

In Ireland we have red-haired people or, in Cork, foxy people.

Foxy girls are often hot - fact.

I've never seen why some people think red-hair is a bad thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

I'm a ginger lad. PM me for pics, btw asl?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

there is a delivery guy who delivers to me now and then ... hot ginger seriously I have fantasies about doing the whole "maybe now I can help you with your package" thing

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

Gingers do seem to be popping up less and less in this country. I think I only know of one ginger baby being born in my family in the last three or so years.

I suppose those ginger dating websites will soon come back into fashion again in an effort to repopulate :P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

"Man, you ain't lived
    Till you've had your tires rotated
    By a red-headed woman" Bruce Springsteen
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I think it started with Chris Evans. The media used to call him the Ginger Whinger and that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

I used to have red hair. :)

Now I have free highlights from God. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Its just south park, for pity's sake.

/facepalm

No, the man was right. People suddenly being ridiculed and made fun of for having red/ginger hair was a subtle campaign that started back in the late 70's/early 80's by the British tabloids, and which coincided with the IRA bombing campaigns, and anti-Irish sentiment. There is a guy from some media department in an English university doing a Phd on it.

Before this, having red hair was seen as a very attractive feature, and many propaganda movies of the war period show a buxom red head motivating the troops before they go to war. And the peoples of most Asian and Med countries consider red hair to be extremely beautiful and unusual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Yeh, still have my red mop! :D I never did understand the hype about why it was seen as unattractive. Suppose Chris Evans didn't help much! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

^I'm sorry, but I don't really care about ginger men.

but what about Bradley? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

My hair was bright ginger when I was younger - now it's..erm..dark ginger - hence the name :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Wasn't there some study that showed gingers have a higher sex drive than non gingers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Ush1 wrote: »
    Wasn't there some study that showed gingers have a higher sex drive than non gingers?

its obvious, red heads get less sex hence their higher desire to have sex :cool:

El Siglo wrote: »
    Yeh, still have my red mop! :D I never did understand the hype about why it was seen as unattractive. Suppose Chris Evans didn't help much! ;)

I blame Mick Hucknall, now there's amn who would be ugly with an hair colour - but apparently he had to fight women off with sticks. Maybe it was the money ..........................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Born in the 70's, grew up in the 80's in a rough north side Dublin with the usual 'carrot top', 'ding a ling your hairs on fire' slaggings which progressed to 'red balls/copper clit' amongst others in secondary school. Fearing doom in terms of sex I despaired.

Then it became apparent that people WERE attracted to redheads and all those fears of not being laid were laughed at. Had a very satisfactory sex life. Am now 34 and it's getting lighter on top. It's not grey but it is no longer the colour I was mocked for as a child & sought for by people wanting to play dirty games in my 20's. Luckily have one special friend I still play dirty games with.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Isn't the word Ginger considered a borderline racial slur in parts of America now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

SteoL wrote: »
    Then it became apparent that people WERE attracted to redheads and all those fears of not being laid were laughed at. Had a very satisfactory sex life. Am now 34 and it's getting lighter on top. It's not grey but it is no longer the colour I was mocked for as a child & sought for by people wanting to play dirty games in my 20's. Luckily have one special friend I still play dirty games with.

Bita scat Twister eh? Gotta love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Do ginger haired people have worse tempers than non-gingers? Having gone out with a ginger I would have to say yes. Bitch had a crazy temper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I hate the word 'ginger'. And it is more common nowadays, with people even referring to themselves as ginger, but it was originally only ever used as an insult. A casual and sh(tty insult designed soley to put somebody down. Which is why I never use the term to describe anybody.

And for the record I love red hair :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Wattle wrote: »
    Do ginger haired people have worse tempers than non-gingers? Having gone out with a ginger I would have to say yes. Bitch had a crazy temper.

She might have had enough of your crass and lazy stereotypes, or your instance on calling her bitch, and lost her temper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Sergeant wrote: »
    She might have had enough of your crass and lazy stereotypes, or your instance on calling her bitch, and lost her temper.

Pardon me but you've never met this woman. She could start a fight in an empty room. A real ginger nut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

And for the record I love red hair :)

It's not red. It's orange.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

Aquila wrote: »
    can't believe the remix wasn't posted yet:pac:

Made my day that :pac: :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Susie_Q wrote: »
    Pale-skinned redhead female here :)

Get your coat, you've pulled;)

Funglegunk wrote: »

Bita scat Twister eh? Gotta love it.

Haha......oh wait I mean eww........ Twister.
    :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭dominiquecruz

SteoL wrote: »
    Born in the 70's, grew up in the 80's in a rough north side Dublin with the usual 'carrot top', 'ding a ling your hairs on fire' slaggings which progressed to 'red balls/copper clit' amongst others in secondary school. Fearing doom in terms of sex I despaired.

I think being ginger's the least of your worries, to be fair.

Wattle wrote: »

Speaking for myself (or friends and family), it takes a lot for me to lose my temper but by jaysus when I do clear the rooms. I try not to lose it but sometimes it isn't always possible and I blow a fuse. Can be quite scary when looking back on times I have lost it.

I think being ginger's the least of your worries, to be fair.

No worries here Dominique, at the time I was well aware didn't or shouldn't have a clitoris. The other student who thought of it got a lot of laughs from the rest of the class so it stuck right through to graduation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

smash wrote: »
    It's not red. It's orange.

It's not orange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Sergeant wrote: »

Before this, having red hair was seen as a very attractive feature, and many propaganda movies of the war period show a buxom red head motivating the troops before they go to war. And the peoples of most Asian and Med countries consider red hair to be extremely beautiful and unusual.

Yeah Asians seem to love it and also the paler you are the more wealthy you seem as your not working in the fields all day much like in some parts of Africa the fatter you are is a sign of wealth. Asians are all dark eyed and dark haired naturally so anything different is seen as special.
    Darkginger wrote: »
    My hair was bright ginger when I was younger - now it's..erm..dark ginger - hence the name smile.gif

Me too I was called a copper top but it changed in my teens to a dark brown with the odd light and red hair. I went out with a Slovakian girl that was facinated by it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement