Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

washing a fearful dog

• 03-04-2012 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭

also a seriously smelly one:mad:
    so... a farmer has apparently emptied something vile into the ditches on the bogland where I walk my dog. I now have Irelands smelliest dog, who also has a massive fear of being washed. I've only ever spot washed him from a bucket before, and it was very difficult as he was petrified. This time i tried to wash him in the bath (it's hailing outside) - about 3 inches of cool water, prerun before I brought him in. I fed him bits of chicken as we got near the bath. Lifted him in, and I've never seen a dog tremble as violently with fear. He was shaking massively and his eyes were rolling, and I was just talking to him and didn't wet anywhere higher than his legs. After a minute he was getting worse and looked like he was going to collapse, so I got him out.

Two questions - how do I go about desensitising him, and it will only be bucket baths from now on as I'll never get him near the bathroom again.

And how the hell do i get the smell off him tonight? He's currently in post-traumatic shut down in his bed and won't come out. I think he might have to stay stinky till tomorrow:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

;)

JohnsonsDryFoamShampooLargeImage.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

As most pet shops are closed at this stage I'd suggest baby wipes ;)
    I use this on my guy when he gets wet or after a swim and he always smells lovely and looks clean - http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_grooming_care/shampoo/furminator_shampoo/183698 - Maxi zoo sell it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

yeah but we're dealing with slurry here:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭houndsoflove

Would you give a mobile dog groomer a try?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭paulgalway

We have used Johnson's Baby shampoo for 3/4 years. No problems and easy on the dog's eyes.

• Advertisement

Would you give a mobile dog groomer a try?

No no - scaredy dog is even more frightened of strangers hands. I'm working on that one, but it's slow.

Dinner anyone? My kitchen smells like a sewer:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'd try the wipes tbh - they're for baby slurry after all! :D:D Besides wipes can clean ANYTHING.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭houndsoflove

Fill a bath half way with warm suds water, lift the dog in and let him stand there for a minute, then slowly start washing him with a sponge starting at the back working up, no running taps on or noise ;)

Don't wash the head just the body.

Might be worth a shot :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

my dog hates being washed, but i put her in the bath and use hot water nearly the same temperature i would shower in! u would think it would be to hot but its the only temperature bath she doesn't have a fit in!

is your dog big enough that he can jump out of the bath?

do you have a shower you can put him in with sliding doors so he can't get out.... put on some old clothes and do it in there with lots of encouragement and treats!

tk123 wrote: »
    I'd try the wipes tbh - they're for baby slurry after all! :D:D Besides wipes can clean ANYTHING.

Plan B - taking stinky out to the garden to play ball, to tire him out for his baby wipe bath.

I won't ever try to put him in a bathtub again, I'm going to try to build up his confidence by tiny little washes everyday. I should've done it before:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Does he swim, are ye near a lake or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

Desensitization was discussed in this thread, might be of some help to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Outside (or in the shower with the water off) with a bucket of warm water, a big sponge and some rubber gloves. Mine only imagined she was afraid of the bath, she thought it was going to be cold :rolleyes: (hates rain & puddles). Couple of warm bucket baths, then a few warm showers with help from the bucket and the bath was no problem after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

There was an episode on It's me or the dog, where she dealt with a dog nervous of baths/water (a lab of all things) and they used plastic bath outside and lured the dog in with treats slowly, and gradually wet the dogs paws, wet the dogs head etc. and built things up from there. Bound to be a clip of how they did it on the internet somewhere.

Gorgeous Guineas do a fox poo shampoo that's supposed to be great for getting rid of any nasty stuff on their fur, I'm deffo going to order some asap I've used their other products on guinea pigs over the years and they are brilliant.

Maybe wiping him down with warm face cloths for now might help. Poor fella. Most dogs hate bath time at the best of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭WolfgangWeisen

Try bathing a cat that has it in his head that it's an attempt on his life :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Is your bath slippery or does the dog try and move in the bath?
    My fella gets terrified if he slips in the bath, so I put and old towel in the base of the shower or bath and wet it before I put him in, this stops it moving to much.
    Also have found he is better with warm water than cold, both of mine hate the cold water and little one squeals like I'm murdering her if the water is even a little cold:rolleyes:

Will google gorgeous guineas, I use baby shampoo diluted in a jug for my two, they smell nice and its is very mild, but fox poo takes some serious washing to get out, and I just found little one chomping on and rolling in a dead bird in the garden (its fresh at least wasn't there at 10am, cat must have got it), something yucky is stuck in her hair:(

Where's the pukey smiley when you need one!

used an entire pack of baby wipes which took the edge off the filth. There's still an unpleasant background pong, but I'm getting used to it:(
    I'm still shocked by the reaction though. My last dog hated the bath and didn't exactly cooperate, but this intense fear is much worse. The violent shaking began before he even touched the water, so it's not the temperature or the depth or anything like that. He's a rescue and I'm wondering if he might have been hosed down as a puppy, or had some bad experience with water.
    I might get a paddling pool in the summer and see if he can be taught to enjoy it.
    thanks for the ideas.... yay for baby wipes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

You could try my cat washing method if he's that terrified.
    You need two towels, jug and baby shampoo... and some extra hands
    Wet both towels and put a little baby shampoo in a jug of warm water, wrap dog in one towel and rub down well, add shampoo by pouring onto the towel, rub in well.
    Use other towel to rinse off dog by rubbing well again, rinse out other towel and rub well again, if the dog will tolerate it pour warm water onto the towel while he/she is wrapped in it and rub around. Continue rinsing until well rinsed.
    It does work on cats (even used this to remove emulsion from one of my fools who fell in the can of paint:eek:), you will need a second set of hands, and handy to do with couple of buckets of warm water for rinsing towels, may be best done outside if he's that afraid of bath.

Baby shampoo is fine when diluted and my vet said also fine if not all removed in cats case as they lick themselves, so would be ok for dog too if you couldn't get all of it off.

Advertisement