Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching from Smart - Speed question

• 03-04-2012 6:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm currently getting maximum 2mb download speed on my 4mb Smart Broadband line.

If I switch to the UPC 25mb Fibre Power line will my download speed increase?

Also will this UPC product still just come through the normal phoneline into the house or does it work differently?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

jamc wrote: »
    Hi

I'm currently getting maximum 2mb download speed on my 4mb Smart Broadband line.

If I switch to the UPC 25mb Fibre Power line will my download speed increase?

Also will this UPC product still just come through the normal phoneline into the house or does it work differently?

Thanks

I used to be on smart back when it was awesome... and it was awesome

I'm with upc now and it's pretty damn better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

UPC does not use the phoneline. It uses the same coaxial cable as UPC tv and phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

UPC does not use the phoneline. It uses the same coaxial cable as UPC tv and phone

Thanks

So if I don't have UPC TV they'll have to install an independent cable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭chabsey

Was with Smart from the very start, over 5 years. They were great but then they weren't.

Moved to UPC and thought I would be in for a world of pain but it's been far better. Occasional down time but contrary to many people's experiences I've found their tech support helpful, far better than Smart's tech support.

Your house has no cable TV point? You probably have the cable nearby but either don't use it or a connection point will need to be added. I Think UPC do this for a fee.

chabsey wrote: »
    Was with Smart from the very start, over 5 years. They were great but then they weren't.

Moved to UPC and thought I would be in for a world of pain but it's been far better. Occasional down time but contrary to many people's experiences I've found their tech support helpful, far better than Smart's tech support.

Your house has no cable TV point? You probably have the cable nearby but either don't use it or a connection point will need to be added. I Think UPC do this for a fee.

Yeah it was great for a while originally but the quality of my phone line is too poor to get anything decent.

I have an old Cablelink connection which should be grand for the self install. I can get them out to wire it if it doesn't work. It's not a big job.

Smarts tech support is rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

jamc wrote: »
    Yeah it was great for a while originally but the quality of my phone line is too poor to get anything decent.

I have an old Cablelink connection which should be grand for the self install. I can get them out to wire it if it doesn't work. It's not a big job.

Smarts tech support is rubbish.

Your cablelink connection will need to be updated, so a self install will not work in your case. I think it's an extra 40euro, but UPC broadband is the best out there at the mo..

mark17j wrote: »
    Your cablelink connection will need to be updated, so a self install will not work in your case. I think it's an extra 40euro, but UPC broadband is the best out there at the mo..

Cool. They told me on the live chat that it would but sure they'd say anything for a sale.

Not a big job to update it anyway.

Advertisement