Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog suddenyl acting weird

• 03-04-2012 7:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

I came back from work and she was happy to see me and all , then went for a walk and realise she didnt run around like she always does.

Came home and she hate her dinner no problem. she's drinking.

She is shivering A BIT and wont come to me when I call her. she just stands in the middle of the room ,like she's in trans. her nose is wet but not very cold.

she won't play. she still wags her tail when I talk to her.

it has happened before after a journey in the car (which she is absolutely terrified of). we spent quiet along time in the car on sunday and I suppose she was a bit like that yesterday also but today instead of getting better she isn't.

is it just a behavioural issue ir do you think I should bring her to the vet ? she doesnt SEEM to be in any pain and her stolls are normal...

She is 2 y.o. and usually extremely healthy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

ok I'm just back from the vet, thought I'd share the update asap, even though I asked for opinions I would always bring my pets to the vet if there is anything unusual

The vet said her temperature is perfect but her glandes were quiet swolen and agreed that she looks like she's feeling sorry for hersel. she gave her an injection and some anti-inflammatory until friday. she said she will most likely be fine but to bring her back if she doesnt improve, now we're back and the tail is wagging full speed again so I suppose the injecyion is already kicking in

:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

ahhh the poor thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭gud4u

That's exactly hoe my jrt acts when she's sick. Usually an ear infection, she's had two in the 3 years I have her.
    If the glands are swollen the the dog is fighting an infection somewhere, although if there's no temp she's shouldn't be too bad. Good luck, hope she feels better soon.

This morning was the big test: when I opened the door I heard the tail banging against her bed so I knew she was grand again. Came into the bedroom to say good morning to my OH, then rushed to the door, went outside and barked at the birds :D:D

Sorted. I will still give her the course of medication prescribed by the vet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mutznutz

dog grooming can help with these problems .. a good groomer cleans glands ears eyes and does nails .. its not just about washing vthe dog .. its good general maintanance.. also a good quality food helps the dogs immune system ... pedigree and bakers or any other supermarket food arent good enough for that matter...hope thats o some use to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

mutznutz wrote: »
    dog grooming can help with these problems .. a good groomer cleans glands ears eyes and does nails .. its not just about washing vthe dog .. its good general maintanance.. also a good quality food helps the dogs immune system ... pedigree and bakers or any other supermarket food arent good enough for that matter...hope thats o some use to you
    I am presuming when glands are mentioned here you mean anal glands, as these are what groomers empty. Anal glands dont flare up when a dog is sick, by glands I would assume the OP ment the glands on the neck, just like the ones that swell up when a human has an infection. These glands are lymph nodes and they swell when someone is fighting an infection, not a whole lot a groomer can do about it Im afraid!

I was talking about the glands in her neck. I empty her anal glandes myself, they need to be emptied every week despite a great diet, I have tried everything, it seems to be something we have to live with. at least I know how to do it myself anyway.

Advertisement