Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange man on the beach

Options
  • 03-04-2012 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I just thought I should mention something that made me uncomfortable at the weekend. I was walking my dog on the south beach and dogs being dogs he did his business. There was a man walking in the opposite direction to me and I noticed him watching me as I turned around to go and clean up after the dog.
    As I was cleaning it up he stood there and just kept watching me. He was about 20 meters from me and just stood there staring at me,

I'm in my twenties and this man was at least 40 years older, he made me feel very self conscious as I bent down to clean up after my dog.
    Has anybody else noticed this man, he was in his 60's with white/grey hair and medium build. He wore a blue tee shirt.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭dudmis

I dont know if I would worry too much - it sounds like may have just been checking to make sure you cleaned up after your dog?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bensweeney

calfmuscle wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I just thought I should mention something that made me uncomfortable at the weekend. I was walking my dog on the south beach and dogs being dogs he did his business. There was a man walking in the opposite direction to me and I noticed him watching me as I turned around to go and clean up after the dog.
    As I was cleaning it up he stood there and just kept watching me. He was about 20 meters from me and just stood there staring at me,

I'm in my twenties and this man was at least 40 years older, he made me feel very self conscious as I bent down to clean up after my dog.
    Has anybody else noticed this man, he was in his 60's with white/grey hair and medium build. He wore a blue tee shirt.

He was checking to make sure you clean up cos many dont there.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

I hope your right and that is all he was doing. Although regardless of weather it was innocent or not there is no need to stop and stare. He could have just looked back as he was walking, or walked to the shore line and glanced back.

Stopping and starring at young women on the beach is unnecessary. The more I think about it the more annoyed I get!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Probably trying to make sure his grandkids don't have to walk in dog poo. It's disgusting down there on the beach, have to watch the young ones like hawks.

Rasmus wrote: »
    Probably trying to make sure his grandkids don't have to walk in dog poo. It's disgusting down there on the beach, have to watch the young ones like hawks.

I am not responsible for other people or thier dogs and I do not appreciate being intimidated and being made to feel self conscious on my local beach! To people who have a problem with dog owners not cleaning up after their animals, making women fear for their safety is no way to go about enforcing good hygiene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭conlof

Tbh seeing some one clean up on the beach is such a rare event i'm surprised you didn't draw a bigger crowd!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Oh my, you poor, poor child. Very traumatic experience for someone so young and angelic to witness. I find Chamomile tea and the soothing sounds of the humpbacked whale a calming influence, one must try. This perp sounds like an absolute creep and must be stopped at all costs. I don’t think RTE’S Crime Watch could reinact those explicit scene’s on public television.

Well maybe, no, it couldn’t work….could it?? My God yes, if we pool our resources together, I do believe there is one man for this job…..Dwayne Chapman a.k.a Dog The Bounty Hunter. With religion and prayer I do believe Dog, can rehabilitate this perp back into society.

Excellent description given on the creep, I would like to add the following from my diligent work in nursing homes throughout the years.

Could be armed with an asthma inhaler.
    The lure of out of date sticky Werthers Originals.
    Pungent smell of Brute mixed with urine to disable the victim helpless
    The ability to talk slow, to submit one in a trance like state.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

That's uncalled for SugarLumps, this girl was obviously intimdated by a man on the beach and thought he was strange. She wants to know if anyone else noticed him hanging around.
    Why be such a condescending Ar se hole to her?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

OP, it's too bad that even though you felt threatened enough to post your concerns on a public forum, the vast majority of the response it to find excuses for the threatening behaviour or belittle your concerns.

Clearly he wasn't just making sure you picked up after your dog if he continued staring at you afterwards and from such a short distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Dmckeown

I can understand you may have felt intimidated - but sounds like you were staring back at him too?? :)

Maybe he is on another message forum concerned about the girl staring at him on the beach!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭mystika121

Man stares at woman - what a shocking event.

Thanks for the heads up, if it happened to you it could happen to any of us . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Oh my, you poor, poor child. Very traumatic experience for someone so young and angelic to witness. I find Chamomile tea and the soothing sounds of the humpbacked whale a calming influence, one must try. This perp sounds like an absolute creep and must be stopped at all costs. I don’t think RTE’S Crime Watch could reinact those explicit scene’s on public television.

Well maybe, no, it couldn’t work….could it?? My God yes, if we pool our resources together, I do believe there is one man for this job…..Dwayne Chapman a.k.a Dog The Bounty Hunter. With religion and prayer I do believe Dog, can rehabilitate this perp back into society.

Excellent description given on the creep, I would like to add the following from my diligent work in nursing homes throughout the years.

Could be armed with an asthma inhaler.
    The lure of out of date sticky Werthers Originals.
    Pungent smell of Brute mixed with urine to disable the victim helpless
    The ability to talk slow, to submit one in a trance like state.

Any more posts like this will not be tolerated.

Don't feed the troll.

Dmckeown wrote: »
    I can understand you may have felt intimidated - but sounds like you were staring back at him too?? :)

Maybe he is on another message forum concerned about the girl staring at him on the beach!

I was not staring at him, He was in my line of vision as I had to turn back to clean up after the dog. I just kept glancing at him as he was standing there intently staring. He had been walking back towards the town, but stopped, turned around and stared at me for a few minutes. I walked back to the dog mess, crouched down to clean it up and and bagged it. Pet my dog on the head, then returned to my walk with the bag in my hand. He watched all of this.

I have lived in Greystones for most of my life and would walk most parts of the town with no fear or worry at night. But this man made me very uncomfortable and I hope he was just a nosy neighbour, but you never know and ladies should beware that there may be something more sinister going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

Oh god that's a bit extreme now. If you're spent much time on the beach you've probably seen people ignoring their dog defecate on the beach, or pretending to clean it up or clean it up but chuck the bag. Maybe he or his kids were on the wrong end of someone like this and now he's determined to pull people up on it. he's not alone if this is his motive. I've done the same. Others on here feel the same.

dr ro wrote: »
    Oh god that's a bit extreme now. If you're spent much time on the beach you've probably seen people ignoring their dog defecate on the beach, or pretending to clean it up or clean it up but chuck the bag. Maybe he or his kids were on the wrong end of someone like this and now he's determined to pull people up on it. he's not alone if this is his motive. I've done the same. Others on here feel the same.

Why is everybody focusing on the dog dirt! :confused:

You where not there and you where not the one being stared at, so you cannot judge if it is a justifiable response or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

You being intimidited doesn't not mean he was being intimidating

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

al28283 wrote: »
    You being intimidited doesn't not mean he was being intimidating

So remember Calf - next time you feel intimidated, make sure you ask other people nearby for their opinions before feeling threatened. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22 noital

I wonder if it was a "hot" twenty something bloke with a lovely toned body that was staring would OP be intimidated or flattered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Atomicjuicer

Op, on behalf of men everywhere who have strived to treat women with respect, decency and equality our entire lives: please stop vilifying men.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Op, on behalf of men everywhere who have strived to treat women with respect, decency and equality our entire lives: please stop vilifying men.

She wasn't doing that at all.

The lack of respect shown for the OP is appalling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

if the op is so worried about this why not go to the guards about it? i have my suspicions as to why she won't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

calfmuscle wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I just thought I should mention something that made me uncomfortable at the weekend. I was walking my dog on the south beach and dogs being dogs he did his business. There was a man walking in the opposite direction to me and I noticed him watching me as I turned around to go and clean up after the dog. As I was cleaning it up he stood there and just kept watching me. He was about 20 meters from me and just stood there staring at me,

I'm in my twenties and this man was at least 40 years older, he made me feel very self conscious as I bent down to clean up after my dog. Has anybody else noticed this man, he was in his 60's with white/grey hair and medium build. He wore a blue tee shirt.

A/ An innocent man making bloody sure that you cleaned up your dog poo.
    B/ An innocent man looking past you at something else in his line of vision.
    C/ An innocent ill man in his 60s having a momentary laps of consiousness?
    D/ An innocent man who saw in you a strong resemblance to his dead wife.
    E/ An innocent man with learning difficulties, who couldn't or wouldn't speak?
    F/ An innocent man, who saw your dogs & reminised about his dead dog.
    G/ An innocent man who wished he was 20 years younger to ask you out.

H/ A dirty old man on the beach having naughty dirty thoughts about you.
    I/ A total pervert, possibly thinking about breaking the law & assulting you.
    J/ A possible insane murderer, biding his time, but was deterred by the dogs?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Why the man was staring we will probably never know.

However, what strikes me as interesting is the number of posts by people I don't recognise as being regular to the G'stones and C'land forum.

Anyways, I think we now know nobody else here has noticed this man and as I think the purpose of the thread was to highlight the fact there could be an odd gent on the beach I think it has done so.

<<snip>>

Mod Note

Please leave the moderation to the moderators.

well first in you've just made it about people not being regulars. i read this forum everyday but only rarely post i see nothing wrong with this i also live in greystones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

LordSutch wrote: »
    A/ An innocent man making bloody sure that you cleaned up your dog poo.
    B/ An innocent man looking past you at something else in his line of vision.
    C/ An innocent ill man in his 60s having a momentary laps of consiousness?
    D/ An innocent man who saw in you a strong resemblance to his dead wife.
    E/ An innocent man with learning difficulties, who couldn't or wouldn't speak?
    F/ An innocent man, who saw your dogs & reminised about his dead dog.
    G/ An innocent man who wished he was 20 years younger to ask you out.

H/ A dirty old man on the beach having naughty dirty thoughts about you.
    I/ A total pervert, possibly thinking about breaking the law & assulting you.
    J/ A possible insane murderer, biding his time, but was deterred by the dogs?

Of all the replies to her original post, this is by far the strangest.

And Black and Amber, please tell us what your suspicions are.

my suspicions are that she knows that the guards would not take her seriously thats all

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

it's still a free country.
    in a public place, one can stare all day every day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Of all the replies to her original post, this is by far the strangest.

And Black and Amber, please tell us what your suspicions are.

Strange? slightly tongue in cheek maybe, but the man was staring, nothing more, and there are likely reasons mixed in with unlikely reasons, the underlying point being that there are so many possible reasons why the man was standing and staring, and she doesn't know why!!

And neither do we, bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

Jebus folks .... The girl said she felt intimidated, why is everyone coming up with "excuses" to dismiss her feelings.
    As a female, it doesn't take much to intimidate me when I'm on my own tbh.

Am surprised at the lack of empathy here :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

After Hours ==================================>

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement