Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance giving weird quotes

• 03-04-2012 7:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am looking to buy a 2000 Honda Civic 1.6 vti which the owner has told me he imported from England. I have tried the insurance companies first to see what kind of insurance I'm looking at but there are some wild variations.

First quote I tried was with chill.ie. I had to ring them up as online wouldn't give me a quote. When I rang them, they claimed it was a Jap import import and said they couldn't offer me anything.

Then I tried bestquote.ie and I was quoted the bones of €3000.

My latest try was with Aviva. Now, I put in the reg of the car, all seemed to check out, they got the info correct and all and quoted me €1000. But when I got to the last screen, they asked for a more specific model but he only option they even gave that was close was the Coupe with the same specs. The quote didn't change or anything.

So, my question reaaly is, if I went ahead with this quote, would I actually be insured? What would happen if I had to claim and they found the model differed? Also, is it possible to tell the import history of the car?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

If it was me I wouldnt go through with it. It would make it all to easy for the Insurer to refuse a pay out, they would be within their rights to do so.

The best thing here would be to actually ring the company and speak to someone. You could of course go ahead with the quote you got but thats your decision.

By the wat give FBD and Quinn a try. Or should i say Liberty.

And also if it is a VTI like he claims it will be an English car and not Jap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Yeah I'll definitely be ringing them tomorrow anyway, they're closed now. I was talking to the guy selling and he said he only pays €450 a year through a broker, obviously he is older than me I'd presume, but that's a crazy difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

If you incept the policy knowing the car is not that at which you own then you're policy is void. its called "non disclosure of fact", as in you know the coupe is not near the spec, power or class of the vti - the VLC (logbook) will enlist the prior reg number before it was cleared to ireland, if in doubt of info i worked for honda in past..PM me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

Well how old are you and whats your no claims like? i'm 22 with 2 years no claims and I was getting quotes for a VTI earlier for the same money.

If I were you id try an online quote with FBD they insured me on a 2 litre (RWD) petrol for 1000 when I was only 20 which I was shocked at, just advice

Thanks for the advice. Well the Coupe was also 1.6vti which is why I'm kind of puzzled? The only non 5 door 1.6 civic they gave an option for was the Coupe! I'll ring them to clarify anyway. I must try FBD so, thanks.

EDIT: I'm 21 with 3 years no claim, no points and had a policy before with Aviva. What money were you getting quoted for the Vti??

• Advertisement

Just as an update to this, rang Aviva this morning again about the online quote. They say I can go ahead and insure it with the Coupe option picked, but they will allow me to change it to Hatchback at no extra cost. Apparently their system they use themselves shows the Hatch but online doesn't. Delighted :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

well done with that, shocked they not looking for chassis number as spec on h/back higher grouped that coupe . ie-power-to-rate ratio etc.. as insurance companies use groups 1-50 for cars - coupe is group 19 - h/back vti run from 15-45

Yeah I was checking the UK insurance groupings and I saw that both the Hatch and Coupe VTi are both in group 29. Must be similar here.

Advertisement