Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Tax ticket.....

Options
  • 03-04-2012 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Just a quick question someone might be able to answer, how often can the smelly parking attendants in waterford put a ticket on a car for no tax?? i have a car im not using and is for sale with no tax and i got a ticket for no tax last week, i left the ticket on the car and the smelly fu*kers put another one on it today!! aaahhhhhhhhh
    the car is on the street around ballybricken!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭karbonkoncepts

Spadzy wrote: »
    Just a quick question someone might be able to answer, how often can the smelly parking attendants in waterford put a ticket on a car for no tax?? i have a car im not using and is for sale with no tax and i got a ticket for no tax last week, i left the ticket on the car and the smelly fu*kers put another one on it today!! aaahhhhhhhhh
    the car is on the street around ballybricken!!

You can receive a ticket for "non display of current tax" once a day, and since the law change in November last even a car that is off the road due to been for sale or been mechanically off the road has to be taxed and when it is finally taxed it will have to be back taxed as there is no provision to have it stamped by the GARDAI anymore.. So advice is to tax it for 3 months if your selling it and it's still on the public road.. Or you will keep on getting fines for non display of tax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

I had a similar issue last year with a company vehicle that was out of tax for a few weeks. I got numerous tickets in the space of a few days. I thought that one warden in particular had it in for me so I spoke to City Council about it. It turns out that the traffic wardens are perfectly entitled to put a ticket on your vehicle every hour if they so wish. Regardless that your vehicle is for sale, it is parked on a public street and therefore must be taxed. Best thing to do is move it to private property and pay the fine.

Also, the traffic wardens are only doing their job, car is not taxed or parked illegally then it is a fair cop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

exactly!!! it aint the traffic wardens problem!!! he don't make the laws he's only doin his job just like anyone else in there respective jobs!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Can you describe the smell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 irishman1

t aint the traffic wardens problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭puzzle factory

are you sure its not a garda thats ticketing you?, didnt think a traffic warden had that power.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

exactly!!! it aint the traffic wardens problem!!! he don't make the laws he's only doin his job just like anyone else in there respective jobs!!!!

They do however target the Ballybricken area and it really depends on the warden.

A friend had a car that was visibly 'off the road' for repair parked up outside his house last year. After getting a couple of tickets he approached the traffic warden explaining that he was saving up to get the car fixed and that it would be taxed when road worthy. He got no satisfaction at all. Personally I think Tis a sad state of affairs that you can't park outside your own front door without being an easy target for some of these wardens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭karbonkoncepts

Yes the traffic wardens do have the power to issue a ticket for non display of tax and they also have the power to get a vehicle lifted if it is a persistent tax offender and yes it does happen and it's all too frequent, the law states since November last that if you own a car it must be taxed as long as you are the registered owner whether it's "off the road" or not..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

they are tryin to catch us everyway with their smartass taxes and weekly new laws, best thing we al can do is bury this fiscal compact treaty and then they will see where their penny pinchin on motorists will get em

http://www.irishtimes.com%2Fnewspaper%2Fireland%2F2012%2F0403%2F1224314296571.html&h=QAQEdO0Xa

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

since the law change in November last even a car that is off the road due to been for sale or been mechanically off the road has to be taxed and when it is finally taxed it will have to be back taxed as there is no provision to have it stamped by the GARDAI anymore.

Sorry, but that's not correct. There was some talk about replacing the current setup with a SORN-style system in Ireland later last year, but it hasn't been implemented yet. Even when it is, people will (likely) still be able to take their car off the road, they'll just have to declare it beforehand, rather than afterwards as is currently the case.

That said, having an off the road car on the road is asking for trouble. I'm not sure of the procedure here, if I was the OP I'd find somewhere else to park it if possible. If not, I'd call in to the local Garda station to ask if it's ok to declare it off the road now.

EDIT: Search for "SORN" in the Motors forum and you'll find plenty of discussion about this. Here's the latest thread about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Up2NoGood

Yes the traffic wardens do have the power to issue a ticket for non display of tax and they also have the power to get a vehicle lifted if it is a persistent tax offender and yes it does happen and it's all too frequent, the law states since November last that if you own a car it must be taxed as long as you are the registered owner whether it's "off the road" or not..

You are very wrong my friend, I recently got my car taxed and used the exemption form provided to me by the tax office and the garda that signed it didn't even bat an eye. All this for a car that was off the road nearly a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Spadzy

Thanks for the info lads, i just think its fair slack that the same warden issued 2 tickets within a few days of eachother when he knows the car is not being used on the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

Thanks for the info lads, i just think its fair slack that the same warden issued 2 tickets within a few days of eachother when he knows the car is not being used on the road!

Unfortunately I'd say I know exactly the warden you are referring to. He makes it his business to keep issuing tickets to cars like urs and my mates to up his quotas.

He's the kind of fella gives u a ticket in a car park while ur gone to the machine and won't cancel it when u get back with your ticket because he got to your car before you got back.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭thedarkroom

How does he know?
    On another note, around Wexford it is prohibited to sell cars from the street or side of the road and some of them have been removed. I think this is the case countrywide but I could be mistaken. I know cars can regularly be seen with 'for sale' stickers on them, parked up on the side of the road, so authorities don't seem to be too vigilant about it but it could be that your car is being primed for removal if it is being ticketed regularly. Did you have words with the warden and p%&s him off?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

I think you are missing a point here, it is and has been for decades the law to display a current tax disc on your car when parked on the public road.

It is not the wardens fault that you get a ticket, it is yours.

And at €60euro a pop 3 tickets would tax your car for 3 months.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Who ever said you can't get the guards to sign the car off the road for a certain amount of time is completely off the mark!
    I got my car signed off for 7 months only yesterday.

I'm currently sitting in the tax office waiting to tax it.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

invalid wrote: »
    I think you are missing a point here, it is and has been for decades the law to display a current tax disc on your car when parked on the public road.

It is not the wardens fault that you get a ticket, it is yours.

And at €60euro a pop 3 tickets would tax your car for 3 months.

As well as the fine, since you have been fined you will have to back tax it, you wont be able to sign it off the road. (unless your very very lucky to get a guard that doesnt check the system)

As mentioned above, thats not true about the sorn type law bein implemented here. You can sign your car off the road in the garda station still, I signed one of mine off last month. But it is actually off the road.

Signing it off the road (even though retrospective currently) Means it can NOT be on a public road or in a public carpark etc. so you'll get a ticket regardless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The Guards don't check anything. The form is a statutory declaration that the car has been off the road, all the Garda is doing is witnessing the declaration. The problem would come up down the line if it was challenged, at which point the presenter would be in trouble for perjury.

Again, I'd recommend the OP go to the Garda station, explain the situation, and ask for help. It's possible the Garda will say tough tatas, and they'll have to tax the car, but it's also possible the Garda will know a way out of the problem. Either way, get the car off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

worth mentioning that if your car is not taxed for 2 months and on the public road then it can be ceased by the Gardai.

Also the Gardai cannot cancel a ticket issued by a Traffic Warden, only a Garda issued ticket. Only the Council or the court can cancel a traffic wardens ticket, but often if you come in an pay the back tax they will cancel the fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

dahamsta wrote: »
    The Guards don't check anything. The form is a statutory declaration that the car has been off the road, all the Garda is doing is witnessing the declaration. The problem would come up down the line if it was challenged, at which point the presenter would be in trouble for perjury.

Again, I'd recommend the OP go to the Garda station, explain the situation, and ask for help. It's possible the Garda will say tough tatas, and they'll have to tax the car, but it's also possible the Garda will know a way out of the problem. Either way, get the car off the road.

They checked the system when i was in there last, and commented on the last time the car was in it. Id consider that checking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Smart thing to do is get a cover and put it over the car. They aren't going to take the cover off to check for tax and you won't get a fine that way

Advertisement