Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

animal abuse?

• 03-04-2012 8:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

just saw this on Facebook...

<modsnip>
    46 minutes ago
    Apparently there is dog in a car parked outside Tesco in Phibsborough that has been there since 11.30 am this morning. Staff have been calling the Gardai and DSPCA but so far nothing done. Spoke to Gardai and apparently they are on way out there but say they can't take the dog out or anything and car is registered "down the country". Dog has no water and has soiled the back of the car...."Owner" has apparently come back to put money in the meter! Shameful. SURELY something can be done!

it is now 20.02 and according to Facebook the owner has finally returned and his excuse was that he was working nearby....

so my question is....

how do people consider leaving a dog in a car for this length of time better then leaving a dog at home? also should this man have been fined?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

I think leaving an animal anywhere with no water and no place to go to the toilet is cruel. I don't necessarily see the car as much worse than a utility room, for example, if you have not taken measures to ensure your dog is cared for.

Plus, you have the added risk in a car of overheating, which can happen so quickly.

It was negligent of the owner, and yes, I do think he should be fined.
    I also think someone should lock him in a cupboard with no sustenance until he soils himself but that is beside the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Couldn't the Gards have broken the window and got the dog out? Does Irish law allow for this??

In the UK, there have been several incidents of dogs left in hot cars. The police and the RSPCA can and do force entry to remove the animal. I think they call the Fire Brigade to force the doors or something...

But I totally agree. The owner should have been prosecuted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Couldn't the Gards have broken the window and got the dog out? Does Irish law allow for this??

Yes it does but the Guards can't be bothered. From the Protection of Animals Act:

1 (1) (b) “shall convey, or carry or cause or procure or being the owner, permit to be conveyed or carried, any animal in such manner or position as to cause that animal any unnecessary suffering.”

Section 12 (2) provides that the Gardai may also take charge of the vehicle and animals.

In reality the SPCA Inspectors can't act without the Guards & the Guards might not act until a Vet arrives.

When I was in the UK I ended up in a similar situation. I called the Police & they smashed the window. I ended up trickling water from a copper's bottle of water into the dog. The Inspector arrived to remove the dog & the Police went on a hunt for the owner. I always found the UK Police to be brilliant when it came to helping animals.

Advertisement