Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you wear to work?

• 03-04-2012 8:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭

I have a staple work wardrobe of jersey wraparound dresses to just above my knee and long cardigans. I rarely wear shoes with a heel and stick to flats or flat boots. I'm getting sooo bored of it now!

I really want a change in my work appearance but can't think outside of what I know. I'dlike to start wearing heels more but Im quite 5'8 and always feel like im going out if i wear high shoes!

I like to look nice and smart without being too "suity" as my work is in quite a relaxed office.

So, basically, I'm here looking for inspiration. I know each job differs in what is expected but how do you broach the balance between comfortable/professional on a day to day basis?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

If I'm staying in the office I tend to wear trousers or skinny jeans with dressy tops and either ballet pumps or Converse!

If I have to go out to meet clients etc I like to wear pencil dresses with short cardis or blazers. Or I'll go for a pencil skirt, a nice blouse and a blazer. Opaque tights in winter and light ones in summer. I'm 5'7.5" and I would always wear a heel with at least 4 inches in height. Personally I hate kitten heels so I either go for height or flats, no half measures!

Next have some lovely items that are professional looking without being stuffy. Just had a look at their site and they have some lovely pieces for summer...

This is cute but I would wear the skirt and jacket separately. The skirt would be lovely with a crisp white shirt and nude or tan shoes. The jacket could be worn with black trousers.

This dress is lovely too.

LOVE this dress and it comes in yellow with white details too. A little cardi or blazer over it and it would be great for work in the summer I think. EDIT: Just noticed that dress is linen so that could be a pain for creasing :(

Anyway they are just come ideas! Warehouse and Oasis can be good for office appropriate dresses as well as seperates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭analucija

I wear pencil skirts or other skirts with different tops, cardigans or jumpers. I also have couple of shift dresses or different trousers. In summer the clothing is often more relaxed and less structured. I would normally wear high heels. I have no favorite brand but I would probably check Warehouse first for work clothes. Then it could be anything from Benetton, Sisley, Zara, Promod or Coast... I find Mango great for inexpensive work stuff but the shop in Arnotts has pretty poor selection and I have to try on their stuff so I would mostly shop there when on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 illgetthere

I'm starting my first office job soon and finding this v helpful so thanks :)

Just have a question on appropriate shoes for work... I have v small feet and cant wear ballet pumps or court shoes as I just walk out of them, no amount of heal grips help on this one :( I really need shoes with straps! Anyway, I guess my question is... are open-toe shoes a big no no for work?? thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭analucija

I wear peeptoe shoes a lot, I don't wear sandals though. What about some mary jane shoes or something similar with straps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I'm starting my first office job soon and finding this v helpful so thanks :)

Just have a question on appropriate shoes for work... I have v small feet and cant wear ballet pumps or court shoes as I just walk out of them, no amount of heal grips help on this one :( I really need shoes with straps! Anyway, I guess my question is... are open-toe shoes a big no no for work?? thanks!

Personally I'd never wear open toe shoes to work.

If you need extra grip, have a look for shoes with ankle straps or t-bars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 illgetthere

Yeah, I think mary janes or t-bar straps are my best bet, thanks analucija and thurstonwhore!

I'm pretty sure my toes aren't my best feature so will keep them under wraps for now!!!

Advertisement