Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An open apology to the 84% of devout Catholics

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Your forgiven by me Rabidlamb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Three Hail Marys and you'll be forgiven OP

Oh and a large donation to my bank account

Go in peace my son

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

Stop smarting, move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

ego te absolvo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

OP you better watch your back, some really angry Catholics may read this thread and forgive you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

When you think of the percentage of "catholics" also remember what the most watched TV show is and who is at the top of the charts and who tops the best sellers list.

Sometimes its better to be the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

The census needs to have a condition that you need to regularly practice the religion that you put down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

marty1985 wrote: »
    Stop smarting, move on.

And start stupiding like the rest of the 84%!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

Stayed in the mothers house on census night, she filled in the form, ergo I'm one of the 84%......my bad :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

The census needs to have a condition that you need to regularly practice the religion that you put down.

What, the CSO are supposed to cold-call people on Sunday mornings to check if they're at home?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

An Atheists are better than everyone thread. Class, it's so original!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

What is it with athiests and the need to be smug about absolutely everything? So a lot of people put Catholic as their religion in the census, who cares?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭AboutTwoFiddy

The only reason the figure is so high is because mammy's all over the country filled out the forms for the entire family.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Athiests the new Jehovas witnesses

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

When you think of the percentage of "catholics" also remember what the most watched TV show is and who is at the top of the charts and who tops the best sellers list.

The majority of people also believe that the Earth is round.

I guess this is just one of those times where the minority is only right if you just so happen to count yourself as one of them?

phasers wrote: »
    What is it with athiests and the need to be smug about absolutely everything? So a lot of people put Catholic as their religion in the census, who cares?

To quote South Park:

"Our answer to the Great Question is the only logical one. Our Science is great. Let us not forget the great Richard Dawkins who finally freed the world of religion long ago. Dawkins knew that logic and reason were the way of the future, but it wasn't until he met his beautiful wife that he learned using logic and reason isn't enough. You have to be a dick to everyone who doesn't think like you."

I guess this is just one of those times where the minority is only right if you just so happen to count yourself as one of them?

Indeed, we should all be supporting Fianna Fail following that logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,200 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Educated by the knowledge contained in the census I would like to apologise for forcing my atheist beliefs on you these past few years.
    I confess to thinking that those who were religious as enlightened as a 12 year old believing in Santa but the sheer weight of your lobby has destroyed my argument.
    Had I known I represented such a miniscule minority I would have never questioned your church, I'm sorry.

This week the pews will heave with the mass of 3.6 million people professing their faith.
    Standing room only as the cars stand triple parked outside.
    I ask only as one thing of you true disciples of God . . . . . forgive me.

You had me at educated...

http://theactresszone.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/zell.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lesserspottedchloe

Very well said. This country makes me laugh sometimes :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

It's insecurity I think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

:pac:

Flawless response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

The God Squad are quick onto this thread :) OP, throw some rosary beads over your monitor and you'll be fine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

What is it with athiests and the need to be smug about absolutely everything?

Some atheists are so annoying, they make you want to take up religion just to piss them off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I have nothing worthwhile or non-repetitive to add here and I'm an insufferable student bore that still lives with my ma but I'd just like to sneer at people and be thanked for it.

Cheers.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Spherical you mean.

gurramok wrote: »
    The God Squad are quick onto this thread :) OP, throw some rosary beads over your monitor and you'll be fine!

Don't forget the holy water, and plenty of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Educated by the knowledge contained in the census I would like to apologise for forcing my atheist beliefs on you these past few years.
    I confess to thinking that those who were religious as enlightened as a 12 year old believing in Santa but the sheer weight of your lobby has destroyed my argument.
    Had I known I represented such a miniscule minority I would have never questioned your church, I'm sorry.

This week the pews will heave with the mass of 3.6 million people professing their faith.
    Standing room only as the cars stand triple parked outside.
    I ask only as one thing of you true disciples of God . . . . . forgive me.

Look, if the keyboard warriors of Internet atheism actually did something useful in their miserable little lives, something social, something fun people might be inclined to listen. The cultural Catholics in the census probably sign as Catholic as they do occasional Catholic stuff, like communions etc. a social movement which wanted to compete would have to have some to replace these ceremonies. Bitching and moaning with your fellow shut ins does not a social movement make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Some atheists are so annoying, they make you want to take up religion just to piss them off.

Yep. From now on I am going to be religious in every census, I'll change the religion every time though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

gurramok wrote: »

I don't know, what I saw was mostly atheists patting themselves on the back for sharing the same worldview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

those who'd like to see a properly secular state where statistics arent needlessly skewed by people with no backbone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement