Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An open apology to the 84% of devout Catholics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Some atheists are so annoying, they make you want to take up religion just to piss them off.

Tis why I don't count myself an atheist. I don't believe in god nor heaven, but I am not an atheist either.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Tis why I don't count myself an atheist. I don't believe in god nor heaven, but I am not an atheist either.

catholic? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

You do know you have a whole other forum to talk about "religion" in?

God left After Hours years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Where did it say 'devout' on the census?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Whenever I see an Atheist going on about how stupid religious types are I always picture them sticking out the tongue in an equally childish fashion. Thankfully most Atheists aren't that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Since both atheists and Christians have been mocked: what's up with those damn agnostics eh? Make your mind up ffs :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Well as long as you've found a way to feel superior to both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Owen_S wrote: »
    Since both atheists and Christians have been mocked: what's up with those damn agnostics eh? Make your mind up ffs :mad:

No!

eh. Ok.

Wait. Nah...oh forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I'm not religious anymore but I do daily say "oh my God" or "by Christ" or "Jesus, Mary, Joseph and the donkey".

If someone told me they were an atheist, I'd probably laugh. I hate when people put labels on everything. Just say that you're not religious. Makes you sound like less of a knob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

Just call yourself an agnostic. That way you can feel smug and superior to everybody :D

*even though most people who call themselves agnostics are actually atheists lololol :pac:

• Advertisement

livinsane wrote: »
    I'm not religious anymore but I do daily say "oh my God" or "by Christ" or "Jesus, Mary, Joseph and the donkey".

If someone told me they were an atheist, I'd probably laugh. I hate when people put labels on everything. Just say that you're not religious. Makes you sound like less of a knob.

I hear ya, I used to live with this house mate, they would put labels on everything, wouldn't stop me borrowing his milk though.

phasers wrote: »
    So a lot of people put Catholic as their religion in the census, who cares?

Clerical abuse victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Well I hate to break it to you, but you are by default.

Atheists aren't in a group like a religion. Atheism is just the lack of a belief in a God.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 327 ✭✭LimGal

How does that saying go again......''there is no such thing as an atheist in a foxhole''!!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Clerical abuse victims.

I'd say some of them registered as Catholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cassel16

It doesn't give an option "devout Catholic" on the census form and I doubt anyone wrote it in. A lot of people put it down because they're lapsed or cultural catholics.

LimGal wrote: »
    How does that saying go again......''there is no such thing as an atheist in a foxhole''!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,200 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Some atheists are so annoying, they make you want to take up religion just to piss them off.

I hate those cnuts. And I'm an atheist. They're as irritating as someone who has claimed to find the one true path to God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

shizz wrote: »
    Well I hate to break it to you, but you are by default.

Atheists aren't in a group like a religion. Atheism is just the lack of a belief in a God.

Sure, it's not a group.. But the Dawkinites suck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

I'm a Christian but I've always hated that expression - it's patronising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i think it's closer to "stop posting patronising meaningless sh!te"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Well that's exactly the sort of irrational thinking I'd expect from someone that isn't an atheist.

Why don't we have a smug-smiley? Dammit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 327 ✭✭LimGal

bluewolf wrote: »
    i think it's closer to "stop posting patronising meaningless sh!te"

What like the OP is it........take a chillpill bluesh*ite:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

The OP owes me a new sarcasm meter. It suffered an overload.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

I used to think of believers like the OP, deluded fools clinging to fairytales and all that stuff.
    Then I noticed a lot of the very educated and smart people I work with are religious, be it Christian, Hindu, Buddhist, Mormon etc.

I just couldn't understand how highly educated electrical engineers could buy into it!

Then I came to the realization, that its either in you or it isn't.

Some folks have a brain wired to have faith, and others don't.

What like the OP is it........take a chillpill bluesh*ite:D

Mod

Don't be a dick.

please refrain from flaming everyone or I'll be forced to move this thread to one of the God/Godless forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I don't believe in god nor heaven, but I am not an atheist

I'm addicted to alcohol but I'm not an alcoholic because I don't like the word alcoholic.

This is my best guess at how a person could say such a spectacularly stupid thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I think Dara O'Brian once put it very well.

'Dont beleive in God, still Catholic though'.

:D

I put catholic on mine, might only go to church a few times a year, but its still the religion I was bought up with, even if I dont practise it to often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

irish-stew wrote: »
    I think Dara O'Brian once put it very well.

'Dont beleive in God, still Catholic though'.

:D

I put catholic on mine, might only go to church a few times a year, but its still the religion I was bought up with, even if I dont practise it to often.

I think it was something along the lines of ''Don't believe in God, but I still hate Rangers''

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

The only reason the figure is so high is because mammy's all over the country filled out the forms for the entire family.

Don't you think mammy's all over the country might have a fair idea what religion their kids are ? Group Atheism - The most annoying religion ever !!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement