Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An open apology to the 84% of devout Catholics

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Any one know the stats for the other Christian denominations?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

LimGal wrote: »
    How does that saying go again......''there is no such thing as an atheist in a foxhole''!!:rolleyes:

I love this one,as if praying when in your foxhole is going to save you,do you not think kids being raped were praying for it to stop? people being beaten to death in random acts of violence? etc...

Atheists are intelligent enough to know,and honest enough with themselves to know that there is no magic sky fairy who's "got your back",theres clearly no point in pleading with God to spare you when in a tricky situation,if there was religious people would surely never come to any harm(but of course they do and then usually thank God for it not being even worse:rolleyes:)

Heres a phrase for ya

"Theres lies, damned lies, and statistics"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Duiske wrote: »
    Don't you think mammy's all over the country might have a fair idea what religion their kids are ? Group Atheism - The most annoying religion ever !!

... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

shizz wrote: »
    Well I hate to break it to you, but you are by default.

Atheists aren't in a group like a religion. Atheism is just the lack of a belief in a God.

That'd be agnosticism.

Atheism is the conviction that there are no deities, much like monotheism is the conviction that there is exactly 1 deity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Op I'm 'bout to nuke yo ass if you post any more threads like this whassup!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Andy!! wrote: »
    Spherical you mean.
    :confused:

We're all aware that in this context, "round" is taken to mean "spherical". Surely you've heard the phrases "round earth theory" and "flat earth theory"? It's the colloquial name for it.
    KeithAFC wrote: »
    Any one know the stats for the other Christian denominations?
    To get to what you're looking for... the numbers of those identifying as being part of the CoE, CoI and certain other Protestant churches increased by 6.8%. No doubt you'll take this to mean "Ireland will rejoin the union in due course".

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Duiske wrote: »
    Don't you think mammy's all over the country might have a fair idea what religion their kids are ? Group Atheism - The most annoying religion ever !!

sigh, atheism is not a religion, its not a belief system, its not a faith, its not an anything, want to know what atheism is? they just believe in one less god than you do, and thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭bicardi19

HaHa I'm Catholic and don't believe in God, So put that in your pipe and smoke it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

:confused:

We're all aware that in this context, "round" is taken to mean "spherical". Surely you've heard the phrases "round earth theory" and "flat earth theory"? It's the colloquial name for it.

To get to what you're looking for... the numbers of those identifying as being part of the CoE, CoI and certain other Protestant churches increased by 6.8%. No doubt you'll take this to mean "Ireland will rejoin the union in due course".
    Well that is interesting. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

tolosenc wrote: »
    That'd be agnosticism.

Atheism is the conviction that there are no deities, much like monotheism is the conviction that there is exactly 1 deity.

Wrong.

Gnosticism and Agnosticism are to know and to not know respectively, theism and atheism are the belief in a deity and the lack of belief in a deity.

Gnostic Atheism, Agnostic Atheism, Gnostic Theism, Agnostic Theism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Educated by the knowledge contained in the census I would like to apologise for forcing my atheist beliefs on you these past few years.
    I confess to thinking that those who were religious as enlightened as a 12 year old believing in Santa but the sheer weight of your lobby has destroyed my argument.
    Had I known I represented such a miniscule minority I would have never questioned your church, I'm sorry.

This week the pews will heave with the mass of 3.6 million people professing their faith.
    Standing room only as the cars stand triple parked outside.
    I ask only as one thing of you true disciples of God . . . . . forgive me.

Why does it bother you what others put on their census forms, if thats what they believe?

Surely you're not an intolerant atheist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Educated by the knowledge contained in the census I would like to apologise for forcing my atheist beliefs on you these past few years.
    I confess to thinking that those who were religious as enlightened as a 12 year old believing in Santa but the sheer weight of your lobby has destroyed my argument.
    Had I known I represented such a miniscule minority I would have never questioned your church, I'm sorry.

This week the pews will heave with the mass of 3.6 million people professing their faith.
    Standing room only as the cars stand triple parked outside.
    I ask only as one thing of you true disciples of God . . . . . forgive me.

No need to apologise, it's much cooler to be a smug atheist anyway. Religion isn't for everyone and sure who knows who is right.

Why does it bother you what others put on their census forms, if thats what they believe?

Surely you're not an intolerant atheist?

His point was that it isn't a fair representation. You just have to look at the amount of people that go to mass on a Sunday to know that there isn't that many devote practising catholics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I'm really happy that 84% put down the are Catholic. If it annoys the ultra atheists then i'm all for it. Their smugness is soul (;)) destroying.

I'm agnostic BTW. I just don't know if there is a GOD or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

philologos wrote: »
    I don't know, what I saw was mostly atheists patting themselves on the back for sharing the same worldview.

You're rather quick to criticise for a one trick posting pony you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Athiests the new Jehovas witnesses

Nah, all of them are nuts (or had their soul purchased). While only a small group of athiests are like that.

woodoo wrote: »
    I'm really happy that 84% put down the are Catholic. If it annoys the ultra atheists then i'm all for it. Their smugness is soul (;)) destroying.

I'm agnostic BTW. I just don't know if there is a GOD or not.

No one knows if their is a god or not. I consider myself atheist but I don't know for sure. How could I? But all the evidence available points me in the direction of no god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

Why are atheists always having ago in AH?
    I am a catholic but don't feel the need to constantly start trolling debates over and over in this forum about my beliefs.

Why do atheists constantly feel the need to try and educate me to their views?

Are they having doubts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

I didn't personally complete the census. Ergo, I was marked in as a catholic, I assume. I'm an atheist. I've spoken to five or six others in the same boat. The results are badly skewed, of that I am certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Sometimes Atheism comes across a cult. They seem to obsess about other people's beliefs constantly, instead of just living their life and ignoring it, it's bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Why do atheists constantly feel the need to try and educate me to their views?

Are they having doubts?

Because they are Godless and scared. And Ireland being the home of begrudgery they don't want to see you comforted by religious beliefs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Some atheists are so annoying, they make you want to take up religion just to piss them off.

Tis why I don't count myself an atheist. I don't believe in god nor heaven, but I am not an atheist either.
    You are. I don't like the smug atheists who have a go at people simply for being religious but I'm still atheist (or perhaps agnostic - I don't believe but I don't know).
    I don't get how you'd deny you're something just because you dislike some of them... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Dudess wrote: »
    You are. I don't like the smug atheists who have a go at people simply for being religious but I'm still atheist (or perhaps agnostic - I don't believe but I don't know).
    I don't get how you'd deny you're something just because you dislike some of them... :confused:

Religious people are also Atheist.

Definition : One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

but I'm still atheist (or perhaps agnostic - I don't believe but I don't know).

You are an agnostic atheist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

but I'm still atheist (or perhaps agnostic - I don't believe but I don't know).

You are an agnostic atheist.
    Agnostheist if you will...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Atheists fighting with Catholics:

This is exactly what those damn Zoroastrians want!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Sometimes Atheism comes across a cult. They seem to obsess about other people's beliefs constantly, instead of just living their life and ignoring it, it's bizarre.

Its as weird as the pope talking about gays all the time, we get it, they're evil, move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Zillah wrote: »
    I'm addicted to alcohol but I'm not an alcoholic because I don't like the word alcoholic.

This is my best guess at how a person could say such a spectacularly stupid thing.

Why is it stupid?

Alcoholic is a meaningless word. If he's addicted to alcohol he's just an alcohol addict. Like 'alcoholic', 'atheist' is a label that some people may not want to accept and I don't see why anyone should have to subscribe to a 'lack of belief' label.

I don't believe in Unicorns. Do I lack a belief in Unicorns?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I marked myself Catholic. I was raised Catholic in every sense except for Sunday mass, cause my parents thought it was boring and we did fun things as a family on a Sunday instead. Otherwise we followed every other Irish Catholic tradition. Used to always put up a little May alter in the hall :)

Still don't go to mass as an adult now, but still have faith and keep up other traditions. Won't eat meat this Friday.

So maybe I'm not a devout Catholic who crams the car park every Sunday with the others, but I still stand by my decision to mark it in the census.

But yes they should add devout to the census form under the Catholic box. And while getting pedantic they should add do you celebrate Christmas under the atheist box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

There are feck-all Roman Catholics in the country. Most of the people who describe themselves as Catholic are actually Christians. They just don't know it yet.

The pope, cardinals, bishops and priests are pretty clear on what you need to do and what you need to believe in order to be a Catholic. For fecks sake, I know what you need to do and what you need to believe to be a Catholic and I don't believe in Catholic teachings so I'm not a Catholic.

There's a lot more to it than "I believe in Jesus and God and Heaven and stuff" which seems to be as far as it goes for most people who are nominally Catholic. If you believe in God, Jesus and Heaven and that stuff, you're a Christian. If you also believe in Transubstantiation (and know what it is), don't practice pre-marital sex, don't use contraception, attend mass regularly, confess your sins regularly, believe that Mary's bodily form went up in the air into heaven and that she was a virgin when she gave birth to Jesus, believe in papal infallibility when he makes formal comments regarding dogma, don't practice abortion, homosexuality or masturbation and never plan on being divorced, then you can start thinking about considering yourself a catholic.

That's not just my opinion. That's more or less the Roman Church's position too and they've been consistently clear on it for as long as I can remember.

Most Irish people simply can't be bothered living their lives as Catholics. I can't so I don't consider myself one. For some reason, most of the population think they're Catholic when they don't believe in core Catholic beliefs and don't live in the way that they've been prescribed. It's insane when you think about it.

Again, let me finish by saying, there are feck-all Catholics in the country.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement