Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An open apology to the 84% of devout Catholics

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

woodoo wrote: »
    I'm really happy that 84% put down the are Catholic. If it annoys the ultra atheists then i'm all for it. Their smugness is soul (;)) destroying.

I'm agnostic BTW. I just don't know if there is a GOD or not.

I think some/a lot of agnostics/atheists value people putting the correct answer for their belief in the census because it reflects on services provided in their area. And may have an effect on services on a nationwide basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

I think some/a lot of agnostics/atheists value people putting the correct answer for their belief in the census because it reflects on services provided in their area. And may have an effect on services on a nationwide basis.

You'll be getting no services in Catholic Ireland, you can make do with Mass like the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Why do atheists constantly feel the need to try and educate me to their views?

Are they having doubts?

Because they are Godless and scared. And Ireland being the home of begrudgery they don't want to see you comforted by religious beliefs.
    You're godless - are you scared?

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Well that is interesting. Thanks.

I think all Protestant groups showed an increase (some very, very healthy increases) but I think Methodists showed a marked decline.

Dudess wrote: »

Are you asking me?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Anyhow, the only thing more annoying than the ''smug atheist'' are the fucktards who, while not being religious in any meaningful way, are only too happy to show their support for an organisation that has a habit of harbouring child rapists.

Zillah wrote: »
    I'm addicted to alcohol but I'm not an alcoholic because I don't like the word alcoholic.

This is my best guess at how a person could say such a spectacularly stupid thing.

Why is it stupid?

Alcoholic is a meaningless word. If he's addicted to alcohol he's just an alcohol addict. Like 'alcoholic', 'atheist' is a label that some people may not want to accept and I don't see why anyone should have to subscribe to a 'lack of belief' label.

I don't believe in Unicorns. Do I lack a belief in Unicorns?
    But if a person has a crippling alcohol addiction, they don't have to call themselves an alcoholic, however that's what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Devout theists and atheists are equally irrational. We don't and can't know for sure, but it is more likely that devout believers will claim to know for sure. They're deluded.

I don't believe in Unicorns. Do I lack a belief in Unicorns?

Is this supposed to be a serious question?

Are you asking me?
    No, Woodoo.

• Advertisement

No, Woodoo.

Thank God, I am scared of you.

Anyhow, the only thing more annoying than the ''smug atheist'' are the f[SIZE="2"]u[/SIZE]cktards who, while not being religious in any meaningful way, are only too happy to show their support for an organisation that has a habit of harbouring child rapists.
    "smug" and "arrogant" can get thrown at people for simply being atheist, even if they make no issue of it and don't attack believers. Some people have a problem with the mere line "I'm an atheist".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

There are feck-all Roman Catholics in the country. Most of the people who describe themselves as Catholic are actually Christians. They just don't know it yet.

The pope, cardinals, bishops and priests are pretty clear on what you need to do and what you need to believe in order to be a Catholic. For fecks sake, I know what you need to do and what you need to believe to be a Catholic and I don't believe in Catholic teachings so I'm not a Catholic.

There's a lot more to it than "I believe in Jesus and God and Heaven and stuff" which seems to be as far as it goes for most people who are nominally Catholic. If you believe in God, Jesus and Heaven and that stuff, you're a Christian. If you also believe in Transubstantiation (and know what it is), don't practice pre-marital sex, don't use contraception, attend mass regularly, confess your sins regularly, believe that Mary's bodily form went up in the air into heaven and that she was a virgin when she gave birth to Jesus, believe in papal infallibility when he makes formal comments regarding dogma, don't practice abortion, homosexuality or masturbation and never plan on being divorced, then you can start thinking about considering yourself a catholic.

That's not just my opinion. That's more or less the Roman Church's position too and they've been consistently clear on it for as long as I can remember.

Most Irish people simply can't be bothered living their lives as Catholics. I can't so I don't consider myself one. For some reason, most of the population think they're Catholic when they don't believe in core Catholic beliefs and don't live in the way that they've been prescribed. It's insane when you think about it.

Again, let me finish by saying, there are feck-all Catholics in the country.

Great post.

I believe most of present day Irish are more protestant in their beliefs and lifestyles. There would probably be a lot of conversions to that religion if it wasn't for the political connotations attached to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

The majority of people also believe that the Earth is round.

I guess this is just one of those times where the minority is only right if you just so happen to count yourself as one of them?

Actually its an oblate geoide

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Myself and the housemate put down 'Rastafarian' for the lulz. The Catholic Church is on its way out but it served its purpose as a step up from more primitive beliefs, a function of the first real enlightenment that occured in Europe and Asia 2000 years ago. Modern atheists seem to think that they are personally responsible for a new pinnacle in human thought but in reality they are products of the framework laid down by civilised Christian/Buddhist/Jewish societies.

Ironically, it's belief in god that has allowed you to not believe in god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

But if a person has a crippling alcohol addiction, they don't have to call themselves an alcoholic, however that's what they are.

No. That's what you have decided to call him/her.

Alcoholic is a meaningless term.

Okay you seriously have to be taking the piss here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Anyhow, the only thing more annoying than the ''smug atheist'' are the fucktards who, while not being religious in any meaningful way, are only too happy to show their support for an organisation that has a habit of harbouring child rapists.

98 posts!!!

Who had 98 in the draw? :pac:

No, Woodoo.

Thank God, I am scared of you.
    Well ya should be scared of my godless ass! :pac:
    Nah, if you're a believer and try to abide as best you can by the tenets of your faith, fair play to you - it's grotesque when good religious people get grief simply for being religious.

I don't believe in the catholic religion at all. But I would like to be buried in the same catholic graveyard as the rest of the members of my family that have passed on. Other than that i'd be gone out of it completely.

• Advertisement

Great post.

I believe most of present day Irish are more protestant in their beliefs and lifestyles. There would probably be a lot of conversions to that religion if it wasn't for the political connotations attached to it.

Not all Protestants are of the liberal/meh COI type. There are a couple of evangelical protestant churches in my area and they look pretty hardcore (religious hardcore).

That's your personal take - shur you could say that about any term though. It's a term accepted by scientists and lay-persons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Well ya should be scared of my godless ass! :pac:
    Nah, if you're a believer and try to abide as best you can by the tenets of your faith, fair play to you - it's grotesque when good religious people get grief simply for being religious.

It is ridiculous how religious feel threatened by simple questions of their faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

I have absolutely nothing against Athiesm but I would love if Athiests had the same decency to let those who have any sort of faith or beliefs live their lives in peace instead of throwing the inferiority complex argument at every chance

Is this supposed to be a serious question?

Yes.

1. I don't believe in god(s) that makes me?

2. I don't believe in unicorns that makes me?

Can you see the similarity?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

latenia wrote: »
    Ironically, it's belief in god that has allowed you to not believe in god.

There is not enough time or interweb space to correct that above statement. But a dictionary is a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Smug athiests are the worst!

No but i would find comfort in belief if i had a strong belief in GOD. I'm young now so i don't give it much thought. I may view it differently if i get to old age. As it is if i die and there turns out to be a god then great, if there isn't then i won't know about it.

It's a term accepted by scientists

Really? Which ones?

• Advertisement

daddydick wrote: »
    I have absolutely nothing against Athiesm but I would love if Athiests had the same decency to let those who have any sort of faith or beliefs live their lives in peace instead of throwing the inferiority complex argument at every chance
    What inferiority complex argument?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement